Private Sail Away Party

fsdj1097

We are a group of nine that will be sailing aboard Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska in June.

DW and I are booked in a Neptune Suite.

In the past, we've been able to request a private sail away party in our cabin through the Neptune Lounge concierges.  Nothing extravagant, just some light snacks.

I'm not sure if this is something that we could request prior to embarkation, or if we could just wait until we meet the concierges after we arrive.

I would appreciate any feedback from this group.

Thanks, in advance for your replies.

6 minutes ago, fsdj1097 said:

We are a group of nine that will be sailing aboard Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska in June.

DW and I are booked in a Neptune Suite.

In the past, we've been able to request a private sail away party in our cabin through the Neptune Lounge concierges.  Nothing extravagant, just some light snacks.

I'm not sure if this is something that we could request prior to embarkation, or if we could just wait until we meet the concierges after we arrive.

I would appreciate any feedback from this group.

Thanks, in advance for your replies.

I think you would be wise to call Shipboard Services to see if it can be arranged in advance.

I’m not sure how you did it in the past, but IME - the hors d’hoeuvres (munchies) had to be ordered the day before (by noon or 2 pm I forget which) so I’m not sure how you would get them the day of embarkation unless arrangements were made in advance.

If you order for 4 or 5 people you will have more than enough for the 9.  The portions are very generous.  I believe anything or an order for 5 (on some ships it may be 4) will incur a charge.

Of course, there are munchies in the Neptune Lounge as well but admittance is restricted to those in the NS (as you most likely are aware).

Thanks for the prompt replies...we've been able to request the sail away snacks on Niew Amsterdam, Noordam, and Oosterdam while on Alaska itineraries.  But these were not hot appetizers, just chips, etc..

Can you contact ship services via email, or is a phone call better? 

17 minutes ago, fsdj1097 said:

Thanks for the prompt replies...we've been able to request the sail away snacks on Niew Amsterdam, Noordam, and Oosterdam while on Alaska itineraries.  But these were not hot appetizers, just chips, etc..

Can you contact ship services via email, or is a phone call better? 

Here is their email address:

HAL_Ship_Services@hollandamerica.com

Have fun on your cruise!

• Like 1

We have hosted sail away parties in our Neptune Suite.  We do not order appetizers from the Neptune Lounge.  We bring our own munchies, chips, peanuts, etc and drink the sparkling wine left as a room gift plus our carry on wines.    These departures were from Fort Lauderdale, so it is easy to pick up stuff on our way to the ship.  We are doing an Alaska Cruise leaving from Seattle in a NS in late June, and are looking for a place to pick up wine and snacks on our way to the ship.

Edited by WisRiver

Call Ship's Services and get the email for your ship's coordinator. That person is much more likely to know exactly whom to contact. Make an effort to make this person your friend. They can easily function as your pre-cruise concierge if you establish a good rapport.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks everyone for their replies.  I contacted Ship's Services and they passed along my request to the Nieuw Amsterdam's ship's coordinator.  I've received an email with a listing of standard & premium hot and cold Hors D'oeuvres to choose from.

One question that I have, is that there is a price associated with the standard and premium Hors D'oeuvres of $22 and $29 per dozen, respectively. 

Has anyone else that has requested these appetizers been charged for them?

Thanks, in advance, for your replies.

27 minutes ago, fsdj1097 said:

Thanks everyone for their replies.  I contacted Ship's Services and they passed along my request to the Nieuw Amsterdam's ship's coordinator.  I've received an email with a listing of standard & premium hot and cold Hors D'oeuvres to choose from.

One question that I have, is that there is a price associated with the standard and premium Hors D'oeuvres of $22 and $29 per dozen, respectively. 

Has anyone else that has requested these appetizers been charged for them?

Thanks, in advance, for your replies.

If they are giving you that listing and price list they will charge you for them.

Did you tell them you were in a Neptune Suite and just looking for something light for 4 or 5 of you as per your Neptune Suite privileges?  If so, then it appears you will be charged.

If I were in your shoes, I’d be tempted to pick up a couple of things at the Lido (heck they even have chips in little bags) or bring something on board.

Alternatively, you could ask the concierge if you could have some extra munchies from the Neptune Lounge.

Hello Everyone, here's my latest update on this.  I have heard back from the Ship's Coordinator and he informed me that these hot and cold appetizers were not included in my amenities that go with my Neptune Suite and that my shipboard account would be charged if I ordered them for my Sail Away party.

I'm a little confused because I have read many other CC members posts about requesting, and receiving hot and/or cord appetizers in their cabin every day.  There was no mention of being charged for them. 

I could see being charged if I was 'gifting' these to another cabin.  What am I missing?

Is it because I'm requesting this through Ship's Services? 

41 minutes ago, fsdj1097 said:

Hello Everyone, here's my latest update on this.  I have heard back from the Ship's Coordinator and he informed me that thrs ese hot and cold appetizers were not included in my amenities that go with my Neptune Suite and that my shipboard account would be charged if I ordered them for my Sail Away party.

I'm a little confused because I have read many other CC members posts about requesting, and receiving hot and/or cord appetizers in their cabin every day.  There was no mention of being charged for them. 

I could see being charged if I was 'gifting' these to another cabin.  What am I missing?

Easy - on embarkation day the free appetizers are not offered (just too hectic I assume).  Every other day you can get them by ordering from the Neptune staff (for free of course).

Also. if you order through ships services for other days you will be charged I assume.

Edited by DaveOKC

DaveOKC is spot on. We ordered light appetizers for a get together of 8 people on the 2nd day of our cruise out of Singapore from Neptune and no problem. We when asked about doing the same on the 1st day of the 2nd segment out of Brisbane we were told it could be arranged but we would be charged since its embarkation day.

58 minutes ago, fsdj1097 said:

Hello Everyone, here's my latest update on this.  I have heard back from the Ship's Coordinator and he informed me that these hot and cold appetizers were not included in my amenities that go with my Neptune Suite and that my shipboard account would be charged if I ordered them for my Sail Away party.

As I suspected and others have concurred, there’s no embarkation day regular delivery for Neptunes.

They have to be ordered the day before so, on embarkation day you can order them for day 2 from your concierge on board and they will be at no charge.

If you do want them for embarkation day, Ship’s services is going to charge you.

I’d either bring some stuff on or grab some stuff from the Lido at lunch.  As you said, you don’t need much.

Alternatively you can pay, but I don’t see the need, myself.

Thanks everyone.  I was clear to the Ship's Coordinator that I would not be ordering the appetizers through him.  Since Sunday is a sea day, I'll arrange my 'Sailing North' party with the NL Concierges.

Embarkation day is a little hectic anyway, so we'll just have a Sail Away toast in the cabin.

Thanks for your thoughts and contributions to my post.

Happy Memorial Day weekend to all!