Just off Sunshine. Have any questions?

apcci2

On 5/27/2019 at 2:25 PM, dclark76 said:

We are looking at doing this ship out of Charleston for the July 4th run ... can anyone tell me if they still offer a discount on buying the cheers package on embarkation day?  When we last sailed carnival in 2014 they offered a discount once on the ship the day we embarked over the published prices.  

The only discount Carnival offers on Cheers is you save $5 per day if you purchase it prior to the cruise 

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:52 PM, apcci2 said:

Just completed Sunshine 5 day from Charleston to Nassau and Half Moon Cay. 

Charleston is handling embark/debark better

We had a deck 8 aft balcony

anytime dining and steakhouse

Only ship in Nassau

no staff issues

ship needs some TLC

Who was the cruise director?

On 5/24/2019 at 8:01 AM, SurfCat said:

We are doing the same cruise in December.  Our plan is to be dropped off by a family member at the port.  Do you know how that would work at the port?

yes; get dropped off on east bay at market. You will see the check in tent. Super easy. Don’t follow the “cruise” signage on east bay as that directs into the further away and paid parking. 

Unless something  has changed in the last six months the other responder is incorrect. If you are dropped off near the customs house (east bay/market) you check in your bags at a small tent and walk on the ship. No shuttle. There is a shuttle from the parking area. 

Edited by TrinaLC

Yes, it was hotel shuttle drop-off at the tent last year and walk into the terminal.

Is that the "change in embarkation" that people are talking about?  Or has something else changed since I sailed last October?

Oh, and last year?  They were telling people that they could not take any beverages into the terminal.  Someone saw my EMPTY plastic water bottle (which I've taken onboard for ages to fill and take with me in the ports) and said I had to leave it.  But, it's empty!  No, you have to ditch the bottle.

I just turned and stuck it in my carry-on and had absolutely no problem taking it with me.

On 5/29/2019 at 11:39 AM, TrinaLC said:

yes; get dropped off on east bay at market. You will see the check in tent. Super easy. Don’t follow the “cruise” signage on east bay as that directs into the further away and paid parking. 

Unless something  has changed in the last six months the other responder is incorrect. If you are dropped off near the customs house (east bay/market) you check in your bags at a small tent and walk on the ship. No shuttle. There is a shuttle from the parking area. 

What the poster reported regarding the embarkation process was correct.  I too was on the 5/18 sailing and we checked in at building 324 then boarded a shuttle to the terminal for security and boarding.  Carnival even sent us an email prior to sailing with the information.  

OK, I'm just kind of lost now.  So if you are dropped off, you no longer check your bag at the little tent and walk over to the terminal?  You now check in at "building 325" and take a shuttle?

For my first several sailings, you were dropped off and checked your luggage, then had wait at a different little tent to shuttle to the terminal, so seems like it's more like it used to be, just from a different location.

Guess it really doesn't matter.  If I'm on a shuttle, the driver "should" know where to drop us and I'll get to the terminal building whether it's via walking or another shuttle.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Sunshine and I confirm that you can no longer be dropped off and simply walk on the ship at market street. 

There is now a “drop off” route just south by a couple of hundred feet from the regular parking line. It snakes around and brings you to large building where now everyone must check in. From there everyone takes shuttle to ship.  

Sorry for the late reply.  Regarding embarkation...if you have sailed out of Charleston 7-8 times then it is probably no different. I just did not expect it to take 2 hours to park and get processed before entering the ship.  My expectations will different next time.  With regard to disembarkation...I think it takes so long because a large majority of the guests self carry their luggage.  We were scheduled to get off the ship at 9:00 and it was just after 10:00 when they called our number....and we had the first tags to get off.  (self carry decks were still being called) I enjoyed my first Charleston cruise. It is just different then sailing out of bigger ports.  

• 2 weeks later...

I just seen your posting about the Sunrise, and thought I would ask a couple questions, as there are 8 of us that may be doing it next year. 🙂

Someone mentioned about the Rock & Roll music, or show.  How can I find out if it is still going on this ship for next year?

Do they have the Love and Marriage show also?