New Amsterdam key type?

zentraveler

Can't find the answer to this anywhere: what type of key can I expect to find for this ship? It is it the flat hotel type (in which case all of my clothes will need pockets or a lanyard) or is it a wrist band of some sort, in which case I don't.  

Seems like a silly question, but I want to be able to not think about my key everytime I leave the room, but know it is either in my pocket or around my neck!

[And other things besides potentially a lanyard that I would not think to bring? 😊]

2 minutes ago, Daisyloo said:

If you forget a lanyard you could buy one in the shops on board.

Thanks. It is on my packing list. I have many of them at home from years of professional meetings!

Stop by the Front Desk to have a hole punched in your stateroom key if you are going to use a lanyard OR bring your own hole puncher as I do.  Just be careful that the hole does not interfere with the magnetic strip or barcode.

Thanks. I have lots of them with a small plastic sleeve so I can slide it in and out, but hole might be easier. I have come to LOVE the ones that just go on your wrist (we had one on Seabourn). They are weightless, never get in the way of anything and you can just forget you have it on until you need to get into your cabin. Thought they might get wet or soggy but am a complete convert. But in the meantime with HAL, lanyards.

39 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I can understand the convenience of wrist bands on the ship but they certainly announce tourist when you are walking around in the port.  I like to walk around incognito when I'm in port.

This was an Antartica cruise and the Penguins didn’t seem to notice  that we were cruise passengers 😊

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Makes me laugh - love this. We all need humor once in a while. Thanks.

Any time SJSULIBRARIAN. Glad you appreciated it. 

[And also, I have given up caring if people know I am on a cruise ship. Most of the places the ships dock (or 4 or 5 of them) are well accustomed to cruise passengers and they undoubtedly know anyway!] 

20 minutes ago, zentraveler said:

Any time SJSULIBRARIAN. Glad you appreciated it. 

[And also, I have given up caring if people know I am on a cruise ship. Most of the places the ships dock (or 4 or 5 of them) are well accustomed to cruise passengers and they undoubtedly know anyway!] 

I think we cruise ship passengers all have "the look."

On 6/1/2019 at 7:19 PM, TAD2005 said:

On a March 2019 Eurodam cruise, our keycards already had a rectangular notch punched in the card.  All ready for a lanyard. 

Some people wear watches and/or b racelots on their wrists and that is quite enough without adding cruise ship do dads  (wrist bands)   ......  Not for m e, thanks.  🙂

It matters not at all to me if anyone in port    recognizes me as  a traveler on a cruise ship.  they likely are jealous.  🙂 🙂

Nieuw  AMsterdam cabin keys are the credit card  style.  Leave it in the slot  beside the door when in your cabin as it operates  turning lights on and off.     ANy card  ( ie,   expired library card, old credit  card will work).

image.png.88e371998eafa7185ff0c9f531c68d11.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

23 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I think we cruise ship passengers all have "the look."

We do have a certain look, when we are at the airport waiting  for our flight from our home town to our destination, I “pick out all the other cruisers who are also waiting”.     Helps to pass the time.  LOL

On 6/1/2019 at 8:05 PM, zentraveler said:

This was an Antartica cruise and the Penguins didn’t seem to notice  that we were cruise passengers 😊

Ah, but thats how they work. Kowloski, Rico & Private and noticed you, but you never saw them. They kept you under constant observation and reported back to Skipper at their HQ. 🤔