Getting upgrades on NCL when you booked the cheapest indoor cabin?

FaithPlus1

So I've been eyeing last minute cruises to Alaska that leave Vancouver (I loved Glacier Bay and want to experience it again). Almost 2 years ago on the dot I got an guaranteed obstructed oceanview cabin for a total of $753 (solo cabin just me....awesome price). Right now there is only really an amazing deal on the guaranteed indoor cabin for $553 (also great price). The obstructed oceanview is too high for me (I don't make a ton of $ and I plan on spending $$$ on a lot of pricey excursions). 

I've heard about people (usually people who have been on several NCL cruises or those who get the really nice cabins) getting emails about upgrades. Does NCL typically do this for cheap people like me or do they not even bother?

It sounds like you were able to get a last minute cabin.  Works for those of us who live in port cities and do not need to schedule airfare.

Probably all the upgrades have been bid on and sold by now. Usually done during period about 4-6 weeks from cruise. Upgrades are not free, they are actually up sells. You offer more money for a chance to move up a category or 2.

Enjoy the Jewel, (assuming you are on that ship) and Alaska.

1 hour ago, FaithPlus1 said:

So I've been eyeing last minute cruises to Alaska that leave Vancouver (I loved Glacier Bay and want to experience it again). Almost 2 years ago on the dot I got an guaranteed obstructed oceanview cabin for a total of $753 (solo cabin just me....awesome price). Right now there is only really an amazing deal on the guaranteed indoor cabin for $553 (also great price). The obstructed oceanview is too high for me (I don't make a ton of $ and I plan on spending $$$ on a lot of pricey excursions). 

I've heard about people (usually people who have been on several NCL cruises or those who get the really nice cabins) getting emails about upgrades. Does NCL typically do this for cheap people like me or do they not even bother?

If the ship isn’t booked full, you might receive email inviting you to bid on an upgrade.

I read that the cruise lines tend to upgrade the people who paid "full price" for the inside/oceanview cabins.   That will then open up the insides and ocean view cabins to be discounted.   The reason is because they want to minimize discounting the higher class cabins (not sure how an "upgraded" cabin isn't a discount...but that's the way the story read).   

If you're buying the deeply discounted insides 1 mo before sailing, I wouldn't expect to get an upgrade (though, if you get one, be thrilled.  :)   )

9 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Good day mate!!

I hope you will jump back on and let us know if you were successful! One time I got an upgrade from inside to balcony for $75 bucks, and I'm still looking for a story to top that, lol. 

17 hours ago, southerngoose said:

I read that the cruise lines tend to upgrade the people who paid "full price" for the inside/oceanview cabins.   That will then open up the insides and ocean view cabins to be discounted.   The reason is because they want to minimize discounting the higher class cabins (not sure how an "upgraded" cabin isn't a discount...but that's the way the story read).   

If you're buying the deeply discounted insides 1 mo before sailing, I wouldn't expect to get an upgrade (though, if you get one, be thrilled.  🙂  )

Sorry you are wrong.  I always book guaranteed rooms.  And have always been upgraded.  And what I mean by this is that I have never been assigned the worse cabin on the ship.  I have always been upgraded.  And keep monitoring the prices.  You may be able to upgrade yourself to an OX for no costs if prices keep falling and you ask.  By the way I am Platinum Plus and usually book at the last minute to get the best possible deal.

5 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Sorry you are wrong.  I always book guaranteed rooms.  And have always been upgraded.  And what I mean by this is that I have never been assigned the worse cabin on the ship.  I have always been upgraded.  And keep monitoring the prices.  You may be able to upgrade yourself to an OX for no costs if prices keep falling and you ask.  By the way I am Platinum Plus and usually book at the last minute to get the best possible deal.

So if you have always been upgraded do you offer the minimum bid or if not between what range, obviously I understand availability plays a big part, just interested as I've only bid low on my future cruise.

7 minutes ago, debgreg said:

So if you have always been upgraded do you offer the minimum bid or if not between what range, obviously I understand availability plays a big part, just interested as I've only bid low on my future cruise.

I have never made a bid to upgrade.  You must remember that when you book a guaranteed room in the "X" category there are only actually 2 cabins with that distinction.  Research the ship and locate those "X" cabins.  If you did not receive one of those cabins you were upgraded.  Upgrading from IX to and OX does happen but very rarely if you are hoping. 

2 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

I have never made a bid to upgrade.  You must remember that when you book a guaranteed room in the "X" category there are only actually 2 cabins with that distinction.  Research the ship and locate those "X" cabins.  If you did not receive one of those cabins you were upgraded.  Upgrading from IX to and OX does happen but very rarely if you are hoping. 

Oh Ok sorry I thought you meant via the bidding process.

I am on the Jewel 6/10/19 and I booked the Interior/Gty on 5/20/19.  I got an offer to upgrade later that same day.

I did put my bid in for a pretty cheap price and it is still pending. 

This is my first NCL AND I am a solo cruiser.  We shall see.... 

9 hours ago, lisakoivu said:

I hope you will jump back on and let us know if you were successful! One time I got an upgrade from inside to balcony for $75 bucks, and I'm still looking for a story to top that, lol. 

I'll let you know! I'm waiting for the rooms to drop a little bit more. I'm getting greedy!  As much as I would want a balcony, the inside room is just so cheap compared to it. We'll see. 

• 11 months later...
On 5/28/2019 at 2:49 AM, lisakoivu said:

Okay so I'm revisiting my old posts and have a response for you lmao. Sorry that it's almost my 1 year anniversary of my post!

I had a guarantee interior cabin (what I called the inferior cabin heheh). I was invited to bid so I bid on the oceanview for every bid and never won. My cabin was okay. It was the last one down on my floor and next to wear the crew does laundry. It definitely felt smaller than the oceanview cabin that I had on the Sun 2 years prior (also was a guaranteed cabin), but the layout was completely different so that may have been why. TBH for me the location of where an interior cabin is located is not an issue since there is no view anyway, I'm fine not being down an elevator, and I'm fine wearing ear plugs to sleep. 

When I was on the Sun, my guaranteed oceanview was great (although I would never sail on the Sun again but that's another story!). My room had a comfortable layout (I was by myself though), and it was on the floor where the crew leaves the art for the art shows so I often saw them bring back and forth paintings. There were hardly any cabina there so it was quiet. I had a HUGE port hole with no obstructions. That said, it was on the same floor as where the walking/jogging path was so every now and then I would see people walking by (not a problem). On glacier days, people did often obstruct the view though since many would watch against the railing. It was a great spot for me because I was just a few cabins down to open the outside door and could watch there too.  

• Like 1