Bilbao on our own

prboylan

If cruise company provides shuttle it's about 30 min o/w to Plaza Moya (which is may be 10 min walk to Guggenheim and 20-25 min to old Town). Price in 12-15€. Closest metro is about 30 - 40 min walk from port. And then another 30 min train ride to center of Bilbao. Taxi is 25-30€ ballpark o/w.

• 2 weeks later...

We have an overnight  in Bilbao this Sept. 2019, I'm planning on walking to the nearest Metro station, Neguri and taking it to the old town, and from there walking to the market and the narrow streets. I don't care how long it takes, this is part of the do it your self excursion. We will also walk or maybe ride the tram to the bridge near the Guggenheim, maybe take the funicular up to a veiwpoint, and eventually take the Metro back and walk to the ship. Sounds like a lot of walking but that's what do it yourself is all about.

On 6/11/2019 at 3:13 AM, bkaction said:

We have an overnight  in Bilbao this Sept. 2019, I'm planning on walking to the nearest Metro station, Neguri and taking it to the old town, and from there walking to the market and the narrow streets. I don't care how long it takes, this is part of the do it your self excursion. We will also walk or maybe ride the tram to the bridge near the Guggenheim, maybe take the funicular up to a veiwpoint, and eventually take the Metro back and walk to the ship. Sounds like a lot of walking but that's what do it yourself is all about.

Seems like a good plan, enjoy the narrow streets and stop for lunch whenever you want.

Have fun planing 🙂

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:00 AM, samavarcruiser said:

Seems like a good plan, enjoy the narrow streets and stop for lunch whenever you want.

Have fun planing 🙂

We have docked at Getxo 3 times, once with Princess and twice with HAL.  On each of the ships they tried to sell bus transfers as excursions.  On all three cruises the port (in conjunction with a business organization in Bilbao) provided free shuttle buses.  Of course those who had purchased ship transfer excursions did not get refunds and took the ship excursion buses (no nicer then the free buses).  Whether this is still the situation we do not know, but you might want to ask this question when you are on the ship.  It is also possible to get from Getxo to Bilbao via inexpensive public transit, but this does involve some walking to get to the transportation.

Once in Bilbao there is an excellent electric tram/train system for longer distances such as for going out to the museum from downtown (although this is walkable for those of us who love to walk).  Bilbao gets my vote as one of the more improved cities in Europe.  There is a lot to like about this city including their old town (and its lively market), the Museum (better outside then in), the main shopping area, promenade along the river, etc.

Hank

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 11:51 PM, Hlitner said:

We have docked at Getxo 3 times, once with Princess and twice with HAL.  On each of the ships they tried to sell bus transfers as excursions.  On all three cruises the port (in conjunction with a business organization in Bilbao) provided free shuttle buses.  Of course those who had purchased ship transfer excursions did not get refunds and took the ship excursion buses (no nicer then the free buses).  Whether this is still the situation we do not know, but you might want to ask this question when you are on the ship.  It is also possible to get from Getxo to Bilbao via inexpensive public transit, but this does involve some walking to get to the transportation.

Once in Bilbao there is an excellent electric tram/train system for longer distances such as for going out to the museum from downtown (although this is walkable for those of us who love to walk).  Bilbao gets my vote as one of the more improved cities in Europe.  There is a lot to like about this city including their old town (and its lively market), the Museum (better outside then in), the main shopping area, promenade along the river, etc.

Hank

Thanks a lot Hank, this is very helpful 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

public transport is always fun, you're obviously a tourist and everyone knows it, but so what, put on a happy face and you'd be surprised how the locals react and offer to help. We have fun doing just that, of course I'm out of control with my maps and planning.

• 3 months later...
On 6/13/2019 at 2:51 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

Can I know if it needs long walking from the ship to take free shuttle buses?

Sophia

22 minutes ago, Orrsthu said:

Can I know if it needs long walking from the ship to take free shuttle buses?

Sophia

There is a small terminal building/visitor center near the pier.  The walk is not long but would depend on the size of the ship and which exit they use on the ship.  As to the free shuttle buses into Bilbao, we have no clue if that tradition still continues although those buses operated on all of our prior visits.  I have mentioned in older posts that some cruise lines would keep those free shuttle buses a big secret...we suspect so they could sell more excursions.  You might get an honest answer on your ship (if you ask the question) or the staff might plead ignorance.

Bilbao is a pretty nice size city so one can do a lot of walking within the city. It is a long walk just from the main shopping area across the tracks over to the Old Town area.  And the Bilbao museum is a very long hike from the center of town, but the tram line does provide good transportation.

Hank

We’re in Bilbao next May and I’ve tied up with Bilbao Greeters to do a walking tour, meeting place opposite the Guggenheim. They’ve asked us to take the ship’s shuttle into town, but will check about the free shuttle. 

We want to check out some of the pintxos bars after our tour, also places where we can taste some Riojas. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

• 7 months later...
On 10/20/2019 at 12:40 PM, prish said:

We’re in Bilbao next May and I’ve tied up with Bilbao Greeters to do a walking tour, meeting place opposite the Guggenheim. They’ve asked us to take the ship’s shuttle into town, but will check about the free shuttle. 

We want to check out some of the pintxos bars after our tour, also places where we can taste some Riojas. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

In Bilbao you must go to the market. Upstairs there is a huge selection of little cafes selling beautifully presented Pintxos and drinks.

IMG_9810.jpg

IMG_9812.jpg

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 9:25 AM, tring said:

Is there anything that is an easy walk from the docking location in Getxo, or from the drop off point of a local shuttle, if there is one?  We do not want to go into Bilbao.

No, there really is nothing worthwhile near the port in Gexto.  It is possible to walk to that town (if you like long walks) and I guess you could find a restaurant for lunch.  But Bilbao is really a terrific city even if you do not want to go over to the Guggenheim.  Bilbao has a very nice shopping district, a decent river walk area, and an OK old town area which has an interesting market (indoors).  We first visited Bilbao about 30 years ago and was not overly impressed.  But on each subsequent visit the city has improved until it is now a pretty good destination (whether as a daytrip from Gexto or on a driving trip in Spain).   When we have visited on ships we have never taken a ship excursion or even a ship transfer.  The local government or business groups always provided a free shuttle from the small cruise terminal into Bilbao (we do not know if this is still the case).  We actually got a little annoyed on a HAL cruise because the Cruise Director and Port Lecturer managed to NOT mention the free shuttle while they were promoting the paid cruise line excursions (including a shuttle). It is also possible to get from the port into Bilbao using the regional public transportation although this does involve a long walk from the port.

Hank

• Like 1