Gluten free Emerald and Royal

Barbara H

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has current experience eating gluten free on the Emerald Mediterranean, and Royal Alaskan cruises.  We've sailed Princess in the past, and have already submitted our dietary requests.  Just wondering if there are new items offered in the various establishments.  Thanks so much.

• 1 month later...

When we cruised with my DS & BIL, he did gluten-free dining.  He got to pick his dinner for the following evening each night.  The head waiter would bring the menu & tell him all the things they could do as GF.  They had a lot of variety of the dishes that could be prepared as GF.  Also - the International Café generally has some GF items.  Sorry I can't be more specific - I don't do GF, so it's more just what I've noticed.  I'm sure you won't go hungry!  Have a great cruise!! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FLCruise7 said:

When we cruised with my DS & BIL, he did gluten-free dining.  He got to pick his dinner for the following evening each night.  The head waiter would bring the menu & tell him all the things they could do as GF.  They had a lot of variety of the dishes that could be prepared as GF.  Also - the International Café generally has some GF items.  Sorry I can't be more specific - I don't do GF, so it's more just what I've noticed.  I'm sure you won't go hungry!  Have a great cruise!! 

Thanks so much.  That's similar to what I've done in the past.  This is the first time I'll be trying anytime dining so I'm a little concerned.  The Emerald is very port intensive, so we didn't want to have to rush back for traditional dining.  

Absolutely no problem with the anytime dining - that's what we had as well -- just remember the name of the head waiter who took your order so you can tell your waiter that you've ordered with "so & so" already.  One of our cruises was pretty funny as we had "Edward 2" since there were two with the same name.  He even fixed us a little special dish nightly (usually sliced tomatoes with mozzarella cheese & balsamic - which have a specific name that I can't recall).  We were on a 5 night with them & we stayed for the next 4 night.  Edward 2 kept doing the special things just for us (we were able to get the bruschetta since we didn't need GF).  :classic_biggrin:

4 minutes ago, FLCruise7 said:

Absolutely no problem with the anytime dining - that's what we had as well -- just remember the name of the head waiter who took your order so you can tell your waiter that you've ordered with "so & so" already.  One of our cruises was pretty funny as we had "Edward 2" since there were two with the same name.  He even fixed us a little special dish nightly (usually sliced tomatoes with mozzarella cheese & balsamic - which have a specific name that I can't recall).  We were on a 5 night with them & we stayed for the next 4 night.  Edward 2 kept doing the special things just for us (we were able to get the bruschetta since we didn't need GF).  :classic_biggrin:

Wonderful to know.  Thanks for the info!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a follow up from my Emerald experience.  It is easy to get our gluten free meals on anytime dining.  We did eat in the same dining room each night, and everything ran smoothly.  One other thing I did was to inform the tour desk of our need for gluten free.  They emailed each tour and requested gluten free for us.  I even had a gluten free croissant.  Thanks again or all your replies.  

• Like 1

For those who need gluten-free dining I'm happy that it's available. There are those who don't need it but who just "want it". My daughter went to a local Mongolian BBQ type place the other day. It took forever as the person in front of her insisted they clean the entire line before she went through. Then she insisted they clean the grill surface. The cook asked her, "Oh, do you have Chron's, too?" (He suffers from that condition and must eat gluten-free.) She said, "No, I just prefer gluten-free." After she had passed the cook was really p|553d off. It can be hard enough for those who need to eat gluten-free to be taken seriously by others. When it's just a whim or a "lifestyle choice" it tends to denigrate the legitimate need of folks for whom it is a genuine health issue.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Thrak said:

For those who need gluten-free dining I'm happy that it's available. There are those who don't need it but who just "want it". My daughter went to a local Mongolian BBQ type place the other day. It took forever as the person in front of her insisted they clean the entire line before she went through. Then she insisted they clean the grill surface. The cook asked her, "Oh, do you have Chron's, too?" (He suffers from that condition and must eat gluten-free.) She said, "No, I just prefer gluten-free." After she had passed the cook was really p|553d off. It can be hard enough for those who need to eat gluten-free to be taken seriously by others. When it's just a whim or a "lifestyle choice" it tends to denigrate the legitimate need of folks for whom it is a genuine health issue.

That's the last thing I want to do is tick off one of the cooks.

You probably realize what they can do to someone's food. :classic_laugh: LOL

On the other hand, making friends with one of the chefs can get you special treatment on occasion. 

when we sailed on Ruby Princess. I talked with the Maitre D the first night giving him a food allergy list. He arranged my meals every meal in advance. It was nice to know what I would eat the next day and not have to worry about a react to any of my food. Princess did so much better then when we sailed on another line. 

Princess does have a form you can fill out pre cruise for dietary needs. It does help.

I have done gluten free on both ships and used anytime dining.  It went smoother on the Royal than it did on the Emerald.   I think this is head waiter dependent.   On the Emerald I would wait forever for head waiter to let the waiter know my pre selected meal (from night before) .    Then waiting for next night’s menu took forever.  This is important if you are trying to make a show.   On the Royal it went much smoother and I was given next night’s menu after everyone had ordered and during wait for first course.   Then we were free to leave as soon as dessert was over and not have to wait for head waiter.   Both ships had mystery desserts every night.  Chef’s gluten free special.   They were mostly good although a few were bland.  One suggestion I would make is bring some rolls/muffins with you.   While Princess does an excellent job with gluten free diets, they serve the same bread toasted every meal.   It gets old after seven days but it is really old on any longer trip.   I want a change.  So I bring Schars rolls (use for dinner rolls or burgers) and also muffins for a change at breakfast.   I was not impressed with options at IC.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pedirn said:

I have done gluten free on both ships and used anytime dining.  It went smoother on the Royal than it did on the Emerald.   I think this is head waiter dependent.   On the Emerald I would wait forever for head waiter to let the waiter know my pre selected meal (from night before) .    Then waiting for next night’s menu took forever.  This is important if you are trying to make a show.   On the Royal it went much smoother and I was given next night’s menu after everyone had ordered and during wait for first course.   Then we were free to leave as soon as dessert was over and not have to wait for head waiter.   Both ships had mystery desserts every night.  Chef’s gluten free special.   They were mostly good although a few were bland.  One suggestion I would make is bring some rolls/muffins with you.   While Princess does an excellent job with gluten free diets, they serve the same bread toasted every meal.   It gets old after seven days but it is really old on any longer trip.   I want a change.  So I bring Schars rolls (use for dinner rolls or burgers) and also muffins for a change at breakfast.   I was not impressed with options at IC.

I agree about the bread.  It would be wonderful if they could use some gluten free breads from local bakeries of the various stops. The muffins at breakfast were as dry as sawdust.   We requested chocolate desserts for chef's choice.  You can always get ice cream or a creme brûlée if you don't enjoy then chef's choice.  The World Market had good gluten free meringues at various times.  

• 3 weeks later...

We just got off the Royal yesterday, and it was the best gluten free that we've had while cruising.  We had gluten free bread available.  It would be nice to have more selection, but there were other options.  In the dining room it's possible to get gluten free pancakes and muffins, but we also discovered that they were available in The Horizon Court.  Towards the back of the Horizon Court, there is a station where you can order gf toast and pancakes made to order.  They did change gloves and tried to avoid cross contamination.  We didm't get glutenized.  GF desserts are available in the dining room and Horizon Court.  Our pre-ordered meals were served with sauces.  A far cry from the dry chicken breasts of the past.  GF pizza is available at the pizza shop and at Alfredos. (I think that's what it's called.). At the pizza shop the pizzas are cooked in separate pans, and clean cutting tools were used.  It is the same oven, in case you are concerned about possible flour flying.  All of the crew seemed to have been educated about safe gf service.

Oh, and in Ketchikan be sure to go to the Alaska Crepe Co.  It was amazing!  The owner's daughter has celiac and most of the menu can be made gf.  The gal who waited on us told us that most of them prefer the gf batter to the regular.