Is the Dive Shack till on Coco Cay?

I actually found it on the map now called  DIVERS DEN, but the excursion is not on the cruise planner yet, which in itself is not unusual for Royal's web team.     Anyone dove there since May 1st?

• 3 weeks later...

It is listed as a 'dive with equipment' and a 'dive without equipment' for our March 2020 sailing.

"Explore Cococay 40 feet below the surface and get up close and personal with its diverse marine life."

The next question would be 'is it worth the expense?'

38 minutes ago, icsys said:

It is listed as a 'dive with equipment' and a 'dive without equipment' for our March 2020 sailing.

"Explore Cococay 40 feet below the surface and get up close and personal with its diverse marine life."

I've done it.  Saw a sea turtle, rays, fish, etc.  Was it my best dive ever?  No.  It was enjoyable for a shore dive and I'd do it again.  For the price I sometimes use it to keep my certification current.  Low cost, small amount of time consumed, great if others in your group aren't divers but you want to sneak in a quick dive before spending the day do group activities.

They tend to run it first thing so by 10am you're done and have the rest of the day to enjoy CocoCay.  

a86KIMy.jpg

QmFd92d.jpg

xthrk7k.jpg

FfKZrmC.jpg

K7c1lr7.jpg

xjv7raa.jpg

atYwAI3.jpg

wI77j1p.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've done it.  Saw a sea turtle, rays, fish, etc.  Was it my best dive ever?  No.  It was enjoyable for a shore dive and I'd do it again.  For the price I sometimes use it to keep my certification current.  Low cost, small amount of time consumed, great if others in your group aren't divers but you want to sneak in a quick dive before spending the day do group activities.

They tend to run it first thing so by 10am you're done and have the rest of the day to enjoy CocoCay.  

You may have just sold it to me :classic_cool:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, icsys said:

I've dove there twice and thought it was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, icsys said:

Excellent, thanks for that.

Currently I am seeing the price at 51.68 GBP which at the current exchange is 65.50 USD, does that sound about right? 

That sounds close to what I paid the past two years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 5:04 PM, twangster said:

Your thoughts on this excursion are exactly spot on.  I brought my kids (12 and 17 at the time) on this diving excursion.  They had been certified only the previous summer so this was an easy shore dive for them to start with.  They, and myself had a good time.

We had been booked on Anthem for some time and I was worried that the excursion would not be available as it only showed up in our planner about 50 or 60 days out.  I had the kids get their certification in part so I could take them diving in the carribean so I was relieved when it showed up in the Planner. 

dp

Doughter - 12

image.png.54a72e31146cc9598c654d428bbdad09.png

Son - 17

image.png.a2092f3165acea83d9795550507040f8.png

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 3

Why would construction on land affect the reef?  All the reviews I read recently on Coco Cay indicate that snorkeling there is still pretty good on the reef and people are seeing rays, turtles and sharks.

I booked the dive w/equipment on Coco Cay for our upcoming Dec cruise. It was $54 which I thought a good deal for a one tank dive (currently at $57)  I kind of did it as a tune up for diving in Roatan later in the week since it will have been 8 months since I dived the last time.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, mac66 said:

Why would construction on land affect the reef? 

The pier and a year's worth of dredging.  That is part of the construction. 

• Like 1

Twangster and postman, I skipped diving when we visited Coco Cay in the past to spend the day with my non diving DH. Having seen the pictures the two of you posted here, I think I’ll give it a try the next time we stop there - whenever that happens to be.

Twangster, you and Hoopster95 have already convinced me that I have to get Alaska booked, now I’ve got to find a cruise that stops at Coco Cay, too! 😱 I may need you to come cat sit for me so I can go on all these cruises you’ve got me wanting to do!  

(jk 🤣)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just showing my kids how nice it is to dive in warm waters was a big thing.  Their open water certification dives were done in Nova-Scotia, just south of Halifax.  We dove in June for my son in 47F waters and early July for my daughter in 53F. 🥶

dp

Edited by dpostman

16 hours ago, dpostman said:

Just showing my kids how nice it is to dive in warm waters was a big thing.  Their open water certification dives were done in Nova-Scotia, just south of Halifax.  We dove in June for my son in 47F waters and early July for my daughter in 53F. 🥶

dp

LOL!  🥶 My days of cold water diving are long behind me! Back in the 70’s when I first started diving I didn’t mind the cold New England waters at all, and enjoyed many beautiful dives. Fast forward to 2019 and I’m delighted to jump off a dive boat into warm tropical waters! 😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, perfect match said:

LOL!  🥶 My days of cold water diving are long behind me! Back in the 70’s when I first started diving I didn’t mind the cold New England waters at all, and enjoyed many beautiful dives. Fast forward to 2019 and I’m delighted to jump off a dive boat into warm tropical waters! 😀

Yep.  Completely with you on that.  My good buddy, who also owns the Dive shop that did our certifications, regularly goes Ice diving under ice sheets in the frozen seas around here, they wear dry suits.  There is no way I'm doing that 😨.  To be fair, that buddy of mine, I swear I seen his Ancestry DNA report and it said he was part Viking, part Polar Bear.😉  I have no shame in admitting that my body is way too soft for that.

dp

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

"Exactly.   I am unsure if he was joking, or just doesn't understand how fragile reefs are.  "

Wasn't joking, Just unaware of where the dredging was other than the pier. I can understand it affecting the reef along the pier. Not sure as to the affect in other places on the island. Surely they didn't dredge in the swim areas and there is some restrictions where they could dredge.

Be that as it may, it doesn't appear to have affected the diving according to most reports.

Edited by mac66

10 minutes ago, mac66 said:

"Exactly.   I am unsure if he was joking, or just doesn't understand how fragile reefs are.  "

Wasn't joking, Just unaware of where the dredging was other than the pier. I can understand it affecting the reef along the pier. Not sure as to the affect in other places on the island. Surely they didn't dredge in the swim areas and there is some restrictions where they could dredge.

Be that as it may, it doesn't appear to have affected the diving according to most reports.

I did my last dive at CocoCay while the pier construction and dredging was occurring.  The snorkel and dive area is "around the corner" of the island away from the pier.  No impact at that time and I'm not expecting any going forward.  Even the future overwater cabanas area is well away from the dive and snorkel areas.