reusable straws for purchase?

kstew42

I'm going on a cruise to Cuba on the Sky in July. I know that Norwegian had made the switch to paper straws, and I would like to be more environmentally conscious, but I have very sensitive teeth. Can anyone recommend a good reusable straw to bring with me on the cruise? 🙂

If you are picky, just buy some plastic straws and take them with you. The paper straws are much more insulated and much softer than plastic straws on the teeth. The standard stainless steel straws would conduct the cold more and would be harder on your teeth than paper. 

Oooh well I more so meant I can't drink the frozen drinks without a straw, I don't know if the steel straws would bother me too much, since I can avoid my teeth touching the straw. 

I picked up some hard plastic (not silicone) straws on Amazon this week for about $10. They can be cut down, so we cut some to highball height, some to regular glass, and left some their original length. Put them in a little plastic pouch and I'm good to go. 

I hate metal straws. I looked at some of the collapsible ones but they looked like a nightmare to clean, or the issue with the silicone collapsible ones is the long length wouldn't work for shorter glasses. 

• Thanks 1

as BirdTravels mentioned..... the newer style paper straws are outstanding and hold up to frozen drinks like a champion.  No reason to purchase plastic or metal straws. 

Just curious hypercolorsky....... do you take all your plastic straws home with you after using them? It defeats the purpose of NCL trying to do something right if they still have to dispose of your plastic straws. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, esm54687 said:

as BirdTravels mentioned..... the newer style paper straws are outstanding and hold up to frozen drinks like a champion.  No reason to purchase plastic or metal straws. 

Just curious hypercolorsky....... do you take all your plastic straws home with you after using them? It defeats the purpose of NCL trying to do something right if they still have to dispose of your plastic straws. 

Yes, they are hard plastic, so they go home and get used there. We are only packing 6 total. Similar material to what a reusable water bottle is made of (which I have been traveling with for at least a decade before it became cool - hatr disposable plastic bottles). At home most of our cups have reusable straws already. I do like using a straw but rarely use disposable. 

Now, I have to admit I do use a number of disposable travel toiletries... 

21 hours ago, hypercolorsky said:

I picked up some hard plastic (not silicone) straws on Amazon this week for about $10. They can be cut down, so we cut some to highball height, some to regular glass, and left some their original length. Put them in a little plastic pouch and I'm good to go. 

I hate metal straws. I looked at some of the collapsible ones but they looked like a nightmare to clean, or the issue with the silicone collapsible ones is the long length wouldn't work for shorter glasses. 

We have found 6 or 7 inch straws to work best with the NCL drink glasses or plastic disposable cups they use.    

I'm just planning to continue bringing my own. 

We really didn't like the paper ones on the last cruise.  They were too long and didn't hold up well with a Mudslide.  Perhaps they will get a different type eventually.