Bergen funicular questions

I was thinking of walking UP the funicular and then getting  a one way ticket down.  How strenuous is the walk up?  I walk frequently so this isn't just a vacation exercise but would like and idea of what's involved.

If we do the opposite and ride the funicular up, we could walk down.  

If a one-way ticket is pre-purchased online, does the ticket specify any direction or is it good going both ways.  I wasn't planning on pre-purchase but have read about loooong lines so that may be the best way to go.

We are in port from 7 am - 2 pm

On another note for those that have been to Bergen, any delicious eating goodies I should be on the lookout for - after all that exercise I might need a delicious pastry and coffee!

Thank you

It’s absolutely possible to walk the 2 miles to the top + 45 to 60 minutes walk.

- recommend to buy tickets for Fløibanen online at www.floyen.no in advance at. A reduced rate. Choose the direction Either from City station to Top station or the opposite direction. Remember to choose the right date and for correct number of persons. It is not possible to book for a spesific depature time. However, when there are many guests the funicular runs continuously. You can also use the  app “Fløibanen” and buy tickets, but only if you are travelling the same day as you buy the tickets.

In the app you can also find information about the next depature to Mount Fløyen.

It’s a steady uphill climb, made more gradual by several switchbacks. From the lower funicular station, the walk is an elevation increase of around 260 m over 2.5 km, so 10%. The climb is continuous (no flat bits or up-and-down sections) and the path is generally well maintained.

Personally, I prefer to ride up and walk down, since it’s a bit quicker and less strenuous. (While my knees can still handle long downhill walks!) Also, there’s no need to think about the route, since the destination is simply “back into the city” rather than needing to get to a specific spot (the funicular station). But the walk uphill is better for your health!

Thank you  hallasm and kaisatsu  for the very helpful information.  

Weather permitting, I would enjoy the walk up because I walk a lot but my husband might prefer the trek down - he'll make that decision and I will pre purchase the tickets.  Sounds like pre purchasing the tickets is a big time saver.

Thanks again - we are so lucky on cruise critic to have such helpful posters.