Koningsdam- help picking deck and cabin location

dgcruises

I am considering a cruise on the Koningsdam In October. I will be a traveling solo  and looking for some advice on cabin selection.

I am looking at booking an inside cabin do to cost of paying single supplement.

There appears to be a good selection of cabins to choose from on decks from 4-8 and aft, mid and fwd.

Can someone suggest a deck and pros/cons of location. My understanding is there is less motion midship

Edited by Goldberry

Have you asked about the few single cabins they have?  (they’re forward on the ship so depends if you think there will be rough seas).

What itinerary are you looking at?  We usually try to book mid ship as my husband won’t do the aft as he tends to get seasick in rough weather. (I loved it!). However, if you are fairly sure of good seas any cabin should be ok-just watch you are not close to the entertainment that can be loud like BB Kings or under an area like the Lido that perhaps could be noisy.    So basically check floors above and below you and around you first.  

Can someone tell me which deck is the pool deck and Lido deck?

I f anyone could point me to a good link to see the decks and what is on them?

The one on Cruisecritic is small and hard to see anything.

I got a pretty good deal on OO guarantee for August 1, 2020.  I’m a solo cruiser and paid about 2900 for this.  The per person cost for an inside on this cruise was 1799 per person so I’m paying significantly lower tha the normal 200 percent single occupancy rate. 

The OO cabins are outside on the main deck near the front.  These cabins are for solos.   The main deck is the lowest deck. They are under the show area. 

I have ave no previous experience with HAL but I have cruised enough to understand the risks involved with a guarantee.  

4 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

You can also google and check out  halfacts and look at photos of cabins that CC members have contributed to.  They show single cabins, inside, etc.  It’s a great resource.

Thanks want to look at some photos.

Don't understand the single cabin, only one available and they want over 4000 Cdn. cheaper to get an oceanview and pay single supplement they are cheaper by several hundred. Called and spoke with general sales at HAL and was told this frequently comes up and they constantly memo "Pricing Control" about it.

28 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

I got a pretty good deal on OO guarantee for August 1, 2020.  I’m a solo cruiser and paid about 2900 for this.  The per person cost for an inside on this cruise was 1799 per person so I’m paying significantly lower tha the normal 200 percent single occupancy rate. 

The OO cabins are outside on the main deck near the front.  These cabins are for solos.   The main deck is the lowest deck. They are under the show area. 

I have ave no previous experience with HAL but I have cruised enough to understand the risks involved with a guarantee.  

I assume this price is US.

Is it booked with a flexible fare with deposit refundable up to 90 days prior to sailing?

Looking at the layout the forward most cabins are 127 sq ft and the farthest back are 172 sq ft almost 50% bigger. Its a personal choice but I would book a specific stateroom looking to get the biggest available. I read a comment that some have a chair and some don't. However you could also get lucky and get moved to a regular ocean-view cabin.

The price is US.  After booking I did research and discovered the size difference.  I’m happy in an Amtrak roomette. So the smallest of these with its own bathroom is extravagant compared to a roomette which doesn’t have a bathroom.  I wouldn’t miss the chair since I lay here n the bed a lot when I’m in the cabin.  Of course for sight seeing I can go where I want on the ship. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goldberry said:

Thanks want to look at some photos.

Don't understand the single cabin, only one available and they want over 4000 Cdn. cheaper to get an oceanview and pay single supplement they are cheaper by several hundred. Called and spoke with general sales at HAL and was told this frequently comes up and they constantly memo "Pricing Control" about it.

Wow-it sure seems they don’t want singles.  That’s terrible.  Makes more sense then for the oceanview.  

I was on the Koningsdam last March, we were on deck 6 aft because I like to sandwhich myself in between cabin decks, this assures me a quiet spot.  With that said, our next cruise is on the K'dams sister ship Nieuw Statendam and are again, on deck 6 aft, some with verandah cabins and some across the hall with inside cabins.

We liked this area because it was not only a quiet area, but also close to the Lido Market Place, Sea View pool and really close to almost everything.

If you are prone to motion sickness, my suggestion is not to go forward, mid-ships is best, but have also found aft is pretty good too.

Hope this helps, enjoy the Koningsdam, she's a spectacular ship and a great addition to the HAL fleet.

• Like 1

I think it depends what you like doing onboard as well as how you feel about motion etc.

I was recently assigned a midship deck 1 inside and hated the thought of it. It made me feel claustrophobic just thinking about it. However, I’ve moved to spa inside on deck 10 forwards and couldn’t be happier. I’m a gym bunny, who wants to be able to get outside quickly or down to the gym and spa easily, I love the movement of the ocean even in rough seas,  so for me it’s perfect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lovely other said:

I think it depends what you like doing onboard as well as how you feel about motion etc.

I was recently assigned a midship deck 1 inside and hated the thought of it. It made me feel claustrophobic just thinking about it. However, I’ve moved to spa inside on deck 10 forwards and couldn’t be happier. I’m a gym bunny, who wants to be able to get outside quickly or down to the gym and spa easily, I love the movement of the ocean even in rough seas,  so for me it’s perfect. 

That is also my hesitation with those nice and spacious square rooms on deck 1 on Kdam when I go solo.   

Did you have to pay to move an assigned room?   I know on some cruise lines you don't always have to pay to move a guarantee assignment.  Not sure about HAL's policy. 

1 hour ago, molole said:

That is also my hesitation with those nice and spacious square rooms on deck 1 on Kdam when I go solo.   

Did you have to pay to move an assigned room?   I know on some cruise lines you don't always have to pay to move a guarantee assignment.  Not sure about HAL's policy. 

No I didn’t have to pay extra ... I called and asked figuring the worse they could say is no. Tbh I wasn’t thrilled about sailing solo but I am now quite excited given my new cabin. 

• Like 1