Room choice confusion

quincychic

Hello, We are looking at a June 2020 Ankorage to Vancouver cruise on Holland because it includes

GBNP. I clicked on the Oceanview room to get more information and it says 'fully obstructed'.

Huh? Within the Oceanview choice is three sub categories, 'ocean view' for $200 more than the

come on price, 'partial oceanview' for $100 more than the come on price and 'fully obstructed' for the

price of an ocean view. An ocean view that is fully obstructed? For an actual ocean view,

I'll pay the additional $200 but now I am rethinking Holland. If they are selling rooms called

ocean view only to have passengers board the ship with no view, what other surprises are there?

The ship is the Westerdam. 

TIA

"Outside" would be a better descriptor.  Then, the three types would make better sense: fully obstructed, partially obstructed and oceanview. 

On the Westerdam all the partial and fully obstructed are behind the lifeboats.  They all have "some" view,  through and around those lifeboats.  Mostly they give you a lot of light.  They are considered a good value.

If you look at the deck plans, you can get an idea of the set-up.

Think about what is important to you: price or view?

Edited by SilvertoGold

On the Vista ships, which includes Westerdam, ocean view rooms that are called "fully obstructed" do have something (boats) blocking your view, however, the large window still lets in lots of light and lets you check the weather. These rooms have the head of the bed up against the window. It's doubtful you will sit in the room admiring the "view" in any case, so for a lot of people saving those few hundred bucks and allowing the view to be obstructed is worth it.  I personally like ocean view (yes, even obstructed) for Alaska, since you feel closer to the water without the balcony, which in cold Alaska isn't that usable for sitting around on anyway.  And the cabin feels larger, with the sitting area before the bed, as you enter.  As SilvertoGold said, you'll still have light and some view, and it probably won't matter at all - you will be up on deck, on the bow, and out and about enjoying the AMAZING views of Alaska from places other than the pillow end of your bed, anyway. Enjoy your cruise!!

Edited by Moriah

Thanks for the clarification. I'm a cynic and I don't like surprises- especially

when it comes to my vacations. Will give the pseudo ocean view some more thought and maybe bump up to balcony. I think looking out a window and seeing a lifeboat would aggravate me more than not having a window.

Appreciate your input. Happy travels!

There is a bright side to this as well unless it is just a deal breaker for you. In the summer in Alaska the sun "sets" but the time between sunset and sunrise is short and it never really gets too dark. We booked our first inside cabin for that reason for a 6/29/19 cruise.  There will be plenty of warm places  on the ship to look at the ocean view and we know we will get a good nights sleep. So the somewhat blocked light may help with sleeping. 

54 minutes ago, Kruzer Zuker said:

There are interior rooms with windows and oceanview rooms with no views.  

Huh? What 'interior rooms with windows'?

I'm pretty familiar with the inside cabins on HAL ships, and have never so much as heard of one, let alone stayed in one.

5 hours ago, quincychic said:

Hello, We are looking at a June 2020 Ankorage to Vancouver cruise on Holland because it includes

GBNP. I clicked on the Oceanview room to get more information and it says 'fully obstructed'.

Huh? Within the Oceanview choice is three sub categories, 'ocean view' for $200 more than the

come on price, 'partial oceanview' for $100 more than the come on price and 'fully obstructed' for the

price of an ocean view. An ocean view that is fully obstructed? For an actual ocean view,

I'll pay the additional $200 but now I am rethinking Holland. If they are selling rooms called

ocean view only to have passengers board the ship with no view, what other surprises are there?

The ship is the Westerdam. 

TIA

Just for clarification, Anchorage has an airport but no commercial seaport.  All cruises require a long bus/train ride from Anchorage to catch the ship in Seward.

I am boarding the Westerdam tomorrow morning from Vancouver to Seward and can seek answers to your issues/questions.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

Edited by Crew News

4 hours ago, Moriah said:

These rooms have the head of the bed up against the window.

Sorry, the beds are sideways to the very large floor-to-ceiling windows (this from Zuiderdam cabin 4061 in Sept '19). The Vista class are generally alike. There is room between the bed and the window to get into bed from the window side. 

43 minutes ago, Kruzer Zuker said:

Look up NA IQ10043 or 10044 as an example.  

On Pinnacle class, the equivalent two rooms are category I-11057 and I-11058. View out the window is definitely not ocean-view but is more than the typical Interior has. I have stayed in lower promenade on S and R class. Mirror plating is less effective on these Pinnacle windows.

29 minutes ago, Cruise4food said:

On Pinnacle class, the equivalent two rooms are category I-11057 and I-11058. View out the window is definitely not ocean-view but is more than the typical Interior has. I have stayed in lower promenade on S and R class. Mirror plating is less effective on these Pinnacle windows.

My mistake, they are category K for Holland America booking on Pinnacle class. The HAL facts uses the I code. Got the two mixed up.

Edited by Cruise4food
Added code info from facts site.

14 hours ago, kwb101 said:

Sorry, the beds are sideways to the very large floor-to-ceiling windows (this from Zuiderdam cabin 4061 in Sept '19). The Vista class are generally alike. There is room between the bed and the window to get into bed from the window side. 

There are a few OVs with floor to ceiling windows (Forward facing cabins?)  - but the vast majority are as I described. 

On the Westerdam, full ocean view had head of bed under window but obstructed ocean view on the Zuiderdam  has the large window, with bed on the side.  So depends on category where bed is placed. 

Edited by bennybear