Making Friends and Influencing People

trubey

Although I have only two cruises under my belt, I think I must always spend a lot of time "proselytizing" about our wonderful cruise experiences.

So far, I have interested my sister in joining us for a cruise next year. And when I gave a talk to my Portuguese class about my recent trip onboard the Prinsendam, I had one German friend asking for my HAL catalog.

Do you all find yourselves "Spreading The Word"?

susana.

We were "converted" by winning a cruise as the "Grand Prize" at my employer's 25th Anniversary party.

My sister had been "proselytizing" for YEARS about how great cruising was, but di we listen?...NO! We were under the misconception that cruise ships were big floating buffets with shuffleboard being the top activity.

Now, we can't stop telling anyone who will listen how great a cruise vacation is.

It is sad that the media coverage sensationalizes any negative that occurs. "Murder on The High Seas!", "Mutiny on the QM2", "Virus cripples Cruise Passengers", "Bedbugs Attack Cruise Passenger". You would think that taking a cruise was an Indian Jones Adventure from the news media's accounts!

I guess if they scare some folks away that will leave more room for us and anyone we "convert"!

I "evangelize" at every opportunity I get. :D

I was converted (reluctantly) in 2001, and now wish I'd seen the light sooner. Since then, I've converted my sister and a couple of people in my walking club, as well as some co-workers. My sister in turn is taking my 78 year old mother on her first cruise this coming Saturday.

Amen pass the collection plate for my next cruise.

Roz

With that being said, I would rather cruise than partake in any other mode of vacation/relaxation.

We are in our early to mid 50's, children are long gone and we have plenty of time to finally spend on ourselves.

Depending on the cruiseline of choice, you can party, drink, and dance from sun up to sun down, or spend quiet time alone, sipping in the different ports and flavors of each, spending time reading and listening to music, eating whatever, whenever you choose, or a combination of any/all of the above.

For us, HAL is sophisticated and sedate and we like it that way. I could sit on my verandah and watch the world sail past every day for the rest of my life!!! Don't need the non-stop activities, lots of poorly behaved children (and adults for that matter), and loud aggressive rock music.

We totally enjoy the senior crowd and the experiences and stories they have to share, and watch some of them dance - Now That's Dancing!!

I've tried to get my siblings and their spouses to come along but they aren't interested, we have however persuaded other friends to cruise and they like us would rather cruise than do anything else.

Having never cruised until two years ago, we discovered that we love it. Because we want to show photos and talk about it a lot, my sister and three other members of my family will sail on February 5th. Unfortunately it is not with HAL, but now WE will get to hear about Celebrity from family members.

Actually, after three cruises, my husband decided to teach a college class pm hospitality management and part of the curriculum was a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. We took 19 Seniors and they all want to sail again!

Everyone I know knows I cruise extensively, but other than that I keep my mouth shut about it. After all, loose lips sink ships. ;)

If the whole world discovers the joys of cruising I might not be able to get the cabin I want on the cruise I want. Cost will go up. Someone will find my favorite place on deck. My prefered barstool will be gone!:eek: Other terrible things will happen. And life as I know it will cease to exist.

Nope. Not taking any chances. ;)

Ooos, I apologize for the duplicate thread.

Sorry, guys, I goofed when I started this thread. The boards were acting really, really, really, slow and I thought the thread did not post. I'm now afraid to look down the list and see it a few more times. susana.

Ways to know that you have been "preaching" too much about cruising or HAL:

1. people don't ask which cruiseline you've booked for your next cruise!

2. people you haven't seen in a while ask you one or more of the following questions:

a. where did you go on your HAL last cruise?

b. when are you going on your next HAL cruise?

c. why aren't you on a HAL cruise now?

3. friends ask which HAL ship were you last on/or will be on next?

4. do you have any non-HAL coasters (aka tiles)?

5. people ask to see your Mariner Medallions;

6. your TA asks YOU questions about HAL!

Just because I carry a flash drive with my favorite HAL cruise pictures on it really doesn't make me compulsive, does it?? :eek:

Just because I carry a flash drive with my favorite HAL cruise pictures on it really doesn't make me compulsive, does it?? :eek:
Of course it does, Bill! Don't kid yourself. ;)

But mental health professionals have researched extensively, and have determined that this is one compulsion/addiction that MUST continue to be fed for maintenance of proper mental balance. (I'm sure I was told their findings will soon be published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.)

So call your TA today to book another "dam" ship experience! :D

When you have such a wonderful time, you can't help but spread the word. It trully is addictive. We got off this past Sunday at 10:15 and sat in airport with our Hal cruise booklet planning the next one. I's a fever !

Patty

Everyone I know knows I cruise extensively, but other than that I keep my mouth shut about it. After all, loose lips sink ships. ;)

If the whole world discovers the joys of cruising I might not be able to get the cabin I want on the cruise I want. Cost will go up. Someone will find my favorite place on deck. My prefered barstool will be gone!:eek: Other terrible things will happen. And life as I know it will cease to exist.

Nope. Not taking any chances. ;)

You are such a wise woman my friend!!!:D

I still have not learned to keep my mouth shut about it.........:rolleyes:

Ways to know that you have been "preaching" too much about cruising or HAL:

1. people don't ask which cruiseline you've booked for your next cruise!

2. people you haven't seen in a while ask you one or more of the following questions:

a. where did you go on your HAL last cruise?

b. when are you going on your next HAL cruise?

c. why aren't you on a HAL cruise now?

3. friends ask which HAL ship were you last on/or will be on next?

4. do you have any non-HAL coasters (aka tiles)?

5. people ask to see your Mariner Medallions;

6. your TA asks YOU questions about HAL!

Bill-

Be well assured that you are in good company here!!! I think my "Dam Ship" hat that I wear almost daily says it all.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived