Anytime dining questions.

marmac761

We used the HUB app on the Magic in April.  It was awesome...just requested a table when we were almost done getting ready, and then headed on up when we got the notification we had a table.  It really streamlined the process.

1 hour ago, LuckyStar said:

You are totally correct.  In my excitement, I wasn't clear enough.  You check in but cannot request a specific time.  We always "checked in" about 15 min before we wanted to eat and never had to wait more than 20 min., I would guess.  

It's about as close to a reservation as you can get with YTD. With the "old" system (checking in at the desk), we've always been seated either right away or within 5-10 minutes. The longest we've ever had to wait was 30 minutes one time because it was the last night and everyone wanted to eat in the MDR one last time. We never know when we're going to want dinner. Maybe we had a late lunch or snacked in the afternoon. Or sometimes we want to plan dinner around our evening activities, which change from day to day. So we love YTD. I'm eager to try the Hub check-in aboard Horizon next March.

I will be on Carnival Pride in October and have Anytime Dining since the 6PM early Dining slot was already full when I booked. Will I be able to reserve a table through the app on that ship or will it be just us showing up first come/first serve? This is a group of 4. 

15 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

On the Magic, you can check-in with The Hub app. You can check in about 15 minutes prior to opening time, then it gives you a table number. You just go to the hostess stand and tell them your table number, and get sat immediately. You can also request a certain wait staff if you wish. 

Screenshot_20190526-162417_Carnival HUB.jpg

What if you want the same server? We had the same excellent server for 2 weeks on a B2B

2 minutes ago, coevan said:

What if you want the same server? We had the same excellent server for 2 weeks on a B2B

15 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

On the Magic, you can check-in with The Hub app. You can check in about 15 minutes prior to opening time, then it gives you a table number. You just go to the hostess stand and tell them your table number, and get sat immediately. You can also request a certain wait staff if you wish. 

54 minutes ago, RandomUser123 said:

I will be on Carnival Pride in October and have Anytime Dining since the 6PM early Dining slot was already full when I booked. Will I be able to reserve a table through the app on that ship or will it be just us showing up first come/first serve? This is a group of 4. 

Even checking in through the app, it is first-come first-served.  The app simply replaces the check-in at the counter, it is not a reservation, per se.  When you are ready, check in on the app.  When your table is ready, you will receive a notification.  See my previous post.

Edited by Schoifmom

If you have Late Dining but one night you want to do Anytime Dining, can you do that? We're on a 17 Day Journey cruise and am thinking that while we like to have the same table mates for dinner but there may be the odd night we won't want to wait till 8:15pm for dinner.

18 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Using the App, you don't have to check in on Deck 5!  You check in on the App and then go to Deck 3, Dining Room, to be seated!!

6 hours ago, jbyrd72 said:

We used the Hub App on the Sunrise's 1st cruise out of Norfolk. You requested a table and how many people were joining you and with in ten minutes you got a notification that your table was ready.  Really easy to use.  I saw a bunch of guests going to the desk on Deck 5 to get a table then they had to go back to Deck 3 to the MDR to get seated.  We had no problems using the App.

32 minutes ago, Kelownacruiser said:

If you have Late Dining but one night you want to do Anytime Dining, can you do that? We're on a 17 Day Journey cruise and am thinking that while we like to have the same table mates for dinner but there may be the odd night we won't want to wait till 8:15pm for dinner.

No, probably not. You would have to go to a pay venue or the buffet. This is why we always get YTD, not always hungry at the same time.

5 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

There is no method on Carnival of making reservations for YTD (i.e., reserving a table at a specific time).

There actually is a method. You can reserve a specific time a party size, but not reserving a SPECIFIC table,

Can you reserve a table with the app with a specific headwaiter?   We liked being able to have the same staff serve us on our cruise last year, and would like to replicate that with the app, rather than going to Deck 5 on the Vista first (or just showing up at the door).

17 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

11 minutes ago, NebraskaSatellite said:

Can you reserve a table with the app with a specific headwaiter?   We liked being able to have the same staff serve us on our cruise last year, and would like to replicate that with the app, rather than going to Deck 5 on the Vista first (or just showing up at the door).

See highlight from Teknoge's post above.

26 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

There actually is a method. You can reserve a specific time a party size, but not reserving a SPECIFIC table,

Screenshots?  That would be the same as making a reservation, which you cannot do.  You would be checking-in on the app, not reserving a specific time.  You cannot check in at 6:00 and request a table for 8:00 (for example).

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 12:47 PM, WashCoCruisers said:

Using the App, you don't have to check in on Deck 5!  You check in on the App and then go to Deck 3, Dining Room, to be seated!!

Yes, I know. I was just telling the OP that the old method is still available, even on ships where it can be done with the app.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:49 PM, coevan said:

The old method is just show up when you are hungry, like any restaurant. The Hubb App makes sense, but going to a different deck was not well thought out. 

The old method of checking in at the desk and using the app are both basically “show up when you’re hungry,” as you put it. That’s what YTD is essentially...going to dinner whenever you’re ready. The app just lets you check in from anywhere.

When the app feature was first introduced, I remember someone had said they were told, in addition to checking in with the app or going to the desk that’s separate from the MDR, you could also check in at the desk in the MDR, just like we’ve always done. If that’s the case, I don’t know why they created another check-in location outside the MDR. Gonna have to file that with the Department of Redundancy Department.