2021 In Search of the Northern Lights

ekkc10753

Does anyone know when the dates for the 2021 "In Search of the Northern Lights" cruise dates will be released? I'm on some sort of list and they say they'll call me, but I have limited confidence in that based on previous experiences with Viking phone reps

The winter 2021 schedule for existing ships is already posted. Ships are scheduled to be deployed as follows:

Star -- Caribbean

Sea -- Mediterranean

Sky-- Caribbean

Sun -- World Cruise

Orion -- Australia/New Zealand

Jupiter -- South America

Thanks!

Well, that doesn't look terribly promising unless they're going to have new ships ready to sail in 2021.

This would've been our first Viking Ocean cruise and it might still be, just have to wait and see

14 minutes ago, ekkc10753 said:

Thanks!

Well, that doesn't look terribly promising unless they're going to have new ships ready to sail in 2021.

This would've been our first Viking Ocean cruise and it might still be, just have to wait and see

Two ships are due to launch in 2021 but no idea when exactly.

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Two ships are due to launch in 2021 but no idea when exactly.

Builders show April 2021 for Viking Venus and also an Expedition ship in 2nd quarter.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all! I just got off the phone with Viking, they'd gone ahead and booked us for Feb 2021, sent an email to me with the optional reservation. 

I changed the dates to March because I read that the closer you are to the equinox the more activity there is and the better the chance for actually seeing (and hearing) these wonders!

We' re going and I'm sooooo excited!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

It's a great trip...just wish we could've done the rest of it but...hey...the helicopter ride was likely far more exciting than the post-cruise extension in London would have been anyway (kidding of course:)  

Show off, just because you got helicopter trip, we however enjoyed the sail into Molde!

I agree it is a great trip, especially if you get excellent sightings of the lights

Take care of yourself and catch up in 2021

DSCF3121.JPG

Trying to decide when to go in 2021. Looks like the number of sailings is fewer than in previous years. We had wanted to go in January for our birthdays, but oh well...

Any thoughts on preferred direction? I think for us - we will be 76 and reasonably mobile, but with only moderate stamina - the Bergen-London direction might be best, but if Viking provides transfers I'm not sure it matters.

Also - what kind of pre- and post-cruise packages are offered? What hotels?

If you want to leave in January, do a B2B starting in Barcelona with the repo cruise and then on to Norway. 

Pre post should be on the website, itinerary page, scroll down to the bottom. Read more should include hotels. 

Edited by Peregrina651

9 hours ago, Haworth said:

Show off, just because you got helicopter trip, we however enjoyed the sail into Molde!

I agree it is a great trip, especially if you get excellent sightings of the lights

Take care of yourself and catch up in 2021

DSCF3121.JPG

Haworth....LOL.....funny story...when I told my brother about the helicopter experience, he more than once said to me afterwards that he's so jealous....he was a squad leader in Nam and was, like many, involved in transportation on chinooks, but never did one by being lifted up. Said he always thought it would've been cool....totally different perspective. 

3 minutes ago, What was that? said:

That sounds like a swell idea, Peregrina651. How does a B2B work - do you stay on the ship?

And after a little dithering I found the information you pointed to - I looked in the rong place, at first.

Thanks for your help!

B2B...yes....you stay in the same room....at least that was my experience...never did one with Viking. It's so much fun, especially when you see all the somber faces of people packing and leaving after the first cruise, and yet you're just having a good time hanging out waiting to go again! Often you get off the ship for several  hours while they get things ready for the new pax to embark. Only did 2 B2B but loved both. Some people do B2B2B2B.....etc. just keep cruisin' around 🙂

3 hours ago, What was that? said:

Trying to decide when to go in 2021. Looks like the number of sailings is fewer than in previous years. We had wanted to go in January for our birthdays, but oh well...

Any thoughts on preferred direction? I think for us - we will be 76 and reasonably mobile, but with only moderate stamina - the Bergen-London direction might be best, but if Viking provides transfers I'm not sure it matters.

I did this trip last year...and can tell you...the people that went in Jan / Feb had some REALLY cold temps above the arctic circle. Talking like -20 to 30 in the evenings. We did the last run of the season (3/16...now a secured entry in the list of potential maritime disasters) and were pleased that the temps were not nearly as bad as we prepared for. Dress in plenty of layers and you'll be fine....

If you go, definitely visit Polar Park...great experience although it's a good number of hours out in the cold. Again, in March it was a lovely late winter day - temp only around 20-30 or so. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

1 minute ago, What was that? said:

gretshwhtfalcon - I guess you have to book the same cabin...

that's the easiest...though we've talked to people that moved to a different cabin for various reasons for the 2nd cruise. I wouldn't want to do that unless really needed to for some reason. 

Did not mean to hijack this thread...but...."What was that"...if you want more info on the trip, feel free to contact me off the board if you'd like. We really found it to be an amazing journey...up until the 16th. So sorry we couldn't complete it. 

Just looked again...had the dates wrong....I see they do a March 10...I'd go for that one if I were you. Might want to also check the moon phase schedule. Our sailing was during the approaching full moon, but it doesn't always make for a weaker northern lights showing. Actually, GLØD had told me that, depending on conditions, the full moon (or close) can actually enhance the experience. Still, no moon = darker skies. Hate to say this, but go with the realization that you may not see the lights and plan to enjoy the cruise anyway. Both Alta and Tromsø in particular have some amazing things to offer. The scenery sailing up or back is incredible. If you go out of Bergen, I'd highly recommend the pre-cruise extension in Oslo. Hotel was fantastic and Oslo has alot to offer. 

gretshwhtfalcon - on 5 February 2021 it is a waning crescent, new moon on the 11th. Full moon on February 27.

Good tip on the pre-cruise extension. I'll have to see how that fits with our travel style.

BTW, I intended to send this in a PM but it said I could only send 0 (zero) messages per day. Huh?

4 minutes ago, What was that? said:

BTW, I intended to send this in a PM but it said I could only send 0 (zero) messages per day. Huh?

There is no Private Messaging on Cruise Critic, never has been. The only way to get rid of the feature on this new platform was to set the number of messages allowed to zero.

We went last Jan.  I am not good in cold temps but my layers worked. Something to remember about Jan. in Norway, there is lots of dark time. Good for the lights, but it limits the views on excursions. 

On 6/12/2019 at 7:53 AM, What was that? said:

For the March 14, 2018 voyage between Bergen to London (or, rather, Bergen to Molde), the pre-cruise hotel was the Thon Hotel Opera. It was modern and comfortable,  centrally located for easy exploration of the city.

On 6/12/2019 at 2:03 PM, What was that? said:

I guess you have to book the same cabin...

They try to put you in the same cabin for both cruises but if you don't book early enough, you may have to change cabins at the start of the second leg

1 hour ago, JDincalif said:

For the March 14, 2018 voyage between Bergen to London (or, rather, Bergen to Molde), the pre-cruise hotel was the Thon Hotel Opera. It was modern and comfortable,  centrally located for easy exploration of the city.

That is the hotel for the Oslo pre-/post-cruise, but there are other extensions offered. The webpage is a generic page for all sailings but not all of the extension shown may be offered on a given sailing. Ask you TA or Viking rep what is available for your sailing. Once you find your way to the correct Viking page and locate the pre/post at the bottom of the page, click on the extension to read the details in a pop-up:

image.thumb.png.a4e8fe57386a1500f88ee1f2d754e809.png

I wouldn't even consider a B2B where you have to change rooms the 2nd week. I've always chosen my room on the cruise line's website (never did one with Viking) to make sure the room is available for both weeks, or else did it with an agent through a 'next cruise' booking during a cruise.