Galveston - Hotels with Shuttles to Port

bowen9475

If you have not already done so, check out the Sleep Inn.  It's pretty new, and doesn't seem to fill up as quickly as others.... and the rates are much cheaper  It does not have a shuttle, but you can go from most anywhere on the island to the pier for about a $15 taxi ride

On 6/6/2019 at 6:38 PM, bowen9475 said:

Are there any hotels not right on the island that have shuttles to the port? Looking for the one Saturday night before our cruise and the hotels on the island are pretty booked up.

Galveston Express does an island transfer for $10 per person from any hotel. You can reserve it through the website.

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2019 at 9:17 PM, Barsnikel said:

If you have not already done so, check out the Sleep Inn.  It's pretty new, and doesn't seem to fill up as quickly as others.... and the rates are much cheaper  It does not have a shuttle, but you can go from most anywhere on the island to the pier for about a $15 taxi ride

We were in Galveston back in 2014. At that time the taxi was very poor. This was in part due to it being a cruise day. Has the service improved since then?

I've used taxi service in Galveston many times.  I've never found it to be poor, although at peak times you may have to wait a little.  We just have a leisure breakfast, then call for the taxi while we drink coffee.  We're not in a rush.  I will say that our wait has never been longer than what we have had to wait for shuttle service (at hotels that provide shuttles).

Coming off the ship, taxis are lined up and waiting,  right off the door  (to the right as you walk out).  No waiting at all

16 hours ago, Barsnikel said:

I've used taxi service in Galveston many times.  I've never found it to be poor, although at peak times you may have to wait a little.  We just have a leisure breakfast, then call for the taxi while we drink coffee.  We're not in a rush.  I will say that our wait has never been longer than what we have had to wait for shuttle service (at hotels that provide shuttles).

Coming off the ship, taxis are lined up and waiting,  right off the door  (to the right as you walk out).  No waiting at all

the issue we had was trying to get a taxi to pick us up at the restaurant so we could get back to our hotel to meet the shuttle. We waited well over an hour, finally a really nice gentleman realized that we were waiting too long, he gave us a ride back to the hotel.

Both Uber and Lyft operate in Galveston. We have been satisfied with the rides. If you do not have too much luggage and do not mind crossing the street from the piers on disembarkation day, both Uber and Lyft pick-ups seem to be a more efficient operation when the pick-up is not amid the congestion directly in front of the terminal.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 11:47 AM, ryndam said:

Both Uber and Lyft operate in Galveston. We have been satisfied with the rides. If you do not have too much luggage and do not mind crossing the street from the piers on disembarkation day, both Uber and Lyft pick-ups seem to be a more efficient operation when the pick-up is not amid the congestion directly in front of the terminal.

I am sure it is on CC somewhere, but are you saying they can not come close to the port for pick up?  I will need to do some more research. What I am trying to find out is "what" service will get us closest to the doors.  Traveling as a group and some individuals have a hard time walking.  No walker, cane, wheelchair, just a difficult time walking.  I have looked at the map and just can't tell how close drop off is to actual cruise ship.  Just want to get as close as possible. 

13 minutes ago, Diggerof4 said:

I am sure it is on CC somewhere, but are you saying they can not come close to the port for pick up?  I will need to do some more research. What I am trying to find out is "what" service will get us closest to the doors.  Traveling as a group and some individuals have a hard time walking.  No walker, cane, wheelchair, just a difficult time walking.  I have looked at the map and just can't tell how close drop off is to actual cruise ship.  Just want to get as close as possible. 

The drop off is close to the building but it can be a trek from the building to the ship. It is possible to order a wheelchair to take you on that journey. That wheelchair can not take you onto the ships, but you can get a ship's wheelchair for the final part. I've done this more than once with a friend who is not too mobile.

7 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

The drop off is close to the building but it can be a trek from the building to the ship. It is possible to order a wheelchair to take you on that journey. That wheelchair can not take you onto the ships, but you can get a ship's wheelchair for the final part. I've done this more than once with a friend who is not too mobile.

I will check with those individuals, They are Stubborn.   We may have to change ports. Ug.  being a group organizer sometimes has it's disadvantages. 

1 hour ago, Diggerof4 said:

Both Uber and Lyft will certainly pick-up at the pier. My initial observation about ride-sharing services on disembarkation day was only to advise that vehicular traffic pier-side is generally congested during disembakation.

If traveling with a group, it may be advantageous to reserve a private van/bus to handle your group. There are many options available for private group transfer airport-pier-airport.

4 hours ago, ryndam said:

Both Uber and Lyft will certainly pick-up at the pier. My initial observation about ride-sharing services on disembarkation day was only to advise that vehicular traffic pier-side is generally congested during disembakation.

If traveling with a group, it may be advantageous to reserve a private van/bus to handle your group. There are many options available for private group transfer airport-pier-airport.

There sure is, and I have looked at several of them.  My group is growing, I am now at 20 people.  Thank you so much for all the tips.  I am newbie group organizer.  I organize for my family of 4, but 20!!!  LOL

Edited by Diggerof4