No dress code on Viking River

jasardeax

On 6/10/2019 at 1:37 AM, Got2Cruise said:

I’m confused about the cutoff t shirts. Wasn’t it a bit chilly to wear them? Lol

As for baseball caps, there are two reasons men wear them. Some men use them as a fashion accessory such as hip hop artists. Then there are other men who are balding and think wearing a baseball cap everywhere looks better. Umm no it doesn’t. On RC most wearers fall into one category. lol 

3rd reason: To keep their heads warm, just like many people who wear wigs.  Should wigs be banned in the dining areas or outrageous hairdo's?

Edited by leishirsute

if somebody is wearing a hat ALL the time I assume they may have a reason to do that - eg skin cancers or something on their head

They may not, of course, but I give benifit of doubt rather than assuming they are just uncouth.

We sailed on Scenic - but I'm sure Europe Viking and Scenic river cruises have similar dress cultures.

Plenty of people wore jeans, including to dinner on the ship - as indeed would be common to dinners in hotels on land. It was warm weather and, other than the couple of gala dinners, some people wore shorts to dinner ( I estimate aprox 1/4 of the men did so on any given night)

Some ladies wore sleeveless dress or smart sleeveless tops - nobody wore those wife beater type ones though.

On the fancier occasions a few men wore ties but they were by far in the minority.

The dress code in the literature is stated as casual, of course if you want to dress up you can, heck, wear a ball gown or full tuxedo  if you want to, although you will be the only one doing so, - but I guess if anybody has a problem with others dressing casually, river cruising is perhaps not for you

The attitude to dress on board has changed remarkably since I’ve been river cruising and if you think about it, it’s not that strange it’s evolution. I still prefer clean, tidy and comfortable as opposed to dirty, scruffy and dare we say pongy! Although call me interfering but I will still make a gentle remark if say a lady has her skirt hooked up in her nickers, someone obviously is wearing a garment inside out or a (gentle)man has a certain part of his clothing undone - maybe that one I’d ask another man to point it out (no pun intended) all of these I’ve seen more than once, including a great guy with the worst rug I’ve ever seen and he made fun of it, I’d definitely cruise with him again. Funnily enough those whose clothing I would still consider questionable and there have never been many, are those I have discovered to be not who I would choose to sit with. Snooty no way choosy of course I’m on holiday.

Just a quick plea across the board regardless of which cruise company you use don’t push for the dress code to be, as it were downgraded or evened out, I really enjoy shopping for each cruise I take - as of course one cannot be seen in the same attire cruise after cruise after cruise. 😂

Edited by Canal archive

I wouldn't describe anyone's attire on my cruise as being scruffy or dirty. Neat casual to semi formal range. 

And I agree, nothing wrong with politely pointing out accidental clothing mistakes - shirt inside out or suchlike. 

The dress code was officially casual so seems unreasonable for anyone to then complain people were dressing casually. 

I found that a relaxing way to holiday - but I don't push my way on everyone, people are welcome to dress up more if they want to - as long as they don't have the expectation that everyone else should do so. 

( I read a old review that complained that Scenic should enforce men's jackets at  dinner - that is different to just  choosing to do so yourself) 

• Like 3