No dress code on Viking River

jasardeax

3 hours ago, Roz said:

Tank top style undershirts for men

That means that it is meant to be worn under something--not instead of something. Even by today's standards just an undershirt is no more acceptable than just underpants.

• Like 4

As someone who lives in Florida, I will note that there is an entire hierarchy of flips flops, and it's possible to have relatively dressy flip flops along with everyday flip flops, sport flip flops, beach flip flops, smart casual flip flops, outdoor party flips flops...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Okay two countries but supposedly the same language, I think not what on earth is a ‘wife beater’, answers as clean as possible please for my obviously gentile ears 😇

Think Onslow :classic_ohmy:

7d0a03f5df9acab8aa0439115d165cd5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good grief, a vest, meant to be worn under a shirt to keep oneself warm. Therefor an item of underwear for men or lingerie for women, although I believe in the USA. a vest is a waistcoat. One the absolute dregs of a well dressed man the other the epitome of the well dressed man, I certainly know what I prefer. Thank you for your clear and so what graphic explanations. CA

• Like 1

In Australia that piece of clothing is known as a singlet/vest.

Dark blue ones are popular with shearers and truck drivers.

Definitely not appropriate for dining in a restaurant, perhaps ok if dining alone at home?

Very hot weather in Europe at present hope all are comfortably dressed and well hydrated.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We've been on three Viking River cruises, and never noticed anyone wearing inappropriate language on tee shirts or  wearing Daisy Dukes. Although passengers didn't dress up like they used to do on Ocean cruises, most were nicely dressed, what I would call dressy casual: skirts or slacks, a collared shirt for men, and blouse and sweater for women.  Personally, I always try to dress to blend in with the natives, so to speak. I don't wear shorts in cities, or athletic shoes. I wear shoes that are comfortable for walking over cobblestones, but have some style to them. Mephisto, Dansk, Naot.

Viking does provide guidelines for what to wear.

I'm sailing on the Viking Delling from Avignon to Provence this coming September, so will be more aware of my fellow-cruisers on-board clothing choices.

1 hour ago, flowerbuyer said:

Personally, I always try to dress to blend in with the natives, so to speak. I don't wear shorts in cities, or athletic shoes.

The natives do. Of late, I've seen potbellied old men out on the streets in shorts, sandals and no shirts --and this was in upscale neighborhoods --and thank goodness, it is a rare occurrence because it is really not a pleasant sight no matter where you are. They also wear jeans and athletic shoes just the way we do, even in the cities. These days, there is really no need to dress any differently than you would if you were traveling in an American city; the fashion divide has all but disappeared.

• Like 3

On 6/25/2019 at 2:34 PM, Canal archive said:

Okay two countries but supposedly the same language, I think not what on earth is a ‘wife beater’, answers as clean as possible please for my obviously gentile ears 😇

I’m trying to figure out what the religion of your ears has to do with  wifebeaters...😳

• Haha 2

Now that would be telling wouldn’t it!

Ah what would we do if we couldn’t blame predictive text, when it’s only my awful spelling, comes from reading obscure legal documents where f’s are s and s are f’s.

Thank you for pointing out my foot in mouth moment. CA

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Now that would be telling wouldn’t it!

Ah what would we do if we couldn’t blame predictive text, when it’s only my awful spelling, comes from reading obscure legal documents where f’s are s and s are f’s.

Thank you for pointing out my foot in mouth moment. CA

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necefsary for one people to difsolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to afsume among the powers of the earth, the feparate and equal Ftation to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them,

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necefsary for one people to difsolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to afsume among the powers of the earth, the feparate and equal Ftation to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them,

Wow what an example to choose and how apt, we as a nation could well use it today.  And all because we agree on standards! CA

On 7/29/2019 at 10:00 PM, Peregrina651 said:

The natives do. Of late, I've seen potbellied old men out on the streets in shorts, sandals and no shirts --and this was in upscale neighborhoods --and thank goodness, it is a rare occurrence because it is really not a pleasant sight no matter where you are. They also wear jeans and athletic shoes just the way we do, even in the cities. These days, there is really no need to dress any differently than you would if you were traveling in an American city; the fashion divide has all but disappeared.

My common three seasons wear in the States- Salomon hiking shoes, prAna hiking pants, and a solid color t-shirt- results in a lot of people starting out speaking German to me in Europe. Apparently practical dress maps to that in many people's minds there. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 10:44 AM, sumiandkage said:

My common three seasons wear in the States- Salomon hiking shoes, prAna hiking pants, and a solid color t-shirt- results in a lot of people starting out speaking German to me in Europe. Apparently practical dress maps to that in many people's minds there. 

Solid color T-shirts are the way to go.

For whatever reason, I don't notice many tan slacks off the boat, tons of 'dress jeans', a lot of them in black.  I have a pair of tan golf pants, super comfortable, don't weigh much, great for dinner...but they do stand out a bit when I'm wandering the town.  And I don't care, as when it is 90 degrees, they don't have to be washed every other day like my jeans. 

On 8/2/2019 at 7:50 AM, pontac said:

On our trip last month one guest wore the same bright green baseball cap all day long, every day, and never took it off for breakfast, lunch or dinner......

I use to wear ball caps a lot, but never at the dinner table, and now, rarely indoors.  That is kinda odd for a cruise

With the solid color T-shirt and jeans in Ireland, w/ my red beard, I look kinda local, esp as I'll keep quiet and sit to myself.  Once I speak, they typically take me for a Canadian, as I'm from 25 miles from the Ontario border and Upstate NY speach does lean more Canadian.  They are especially surprised when I tell them my county has more cows than people. and we are over 500kms from the Big City.

My wife says my 'look' is trying to remain anonymous.  I do wear a shirt with buttons on a cruise for diner, even though we mostly eat in the second dining room, which are casual on VIking and Vantage.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 7:46 PM, Coral said:

I am going to be the bad person here...... I struggled for packing for my November/Thanksgiving river cruise. November in Austria/Germany is similar to November where I live (midwest). Unpredictable. Let's see - we had warm weather, we had rain and we had snow. I brought 2 different jackets. I am not going to use baggage fees for an excuse but I wanted to stick to one suitcase under 50 lbs which was tough since I was packing for an odd season.

For dinner (I am female) - I often wore jeans, black jeans or tan jeans. I do not own torn jeans, I wore a sweater (it was cold - remember November) and often loafers of some sort.

I am not a girly girl. I work in IT and work with guys. I hate dressing up - I carried formal wear for my first couple of dozen cruises and refuse to do so anymore. I don't want to take dresses which means different shoes with each outfit, more luggage and I want to be able to carry my own luggage. I am tired of carrying multiple bags and I am tired of dressing up. While others enjoy it, I dread it.

I probably was under dressed compared to others. I would like to think I ruined anyone's meal.

Thank you for this post, was wondering about dinners. We are going on the Christmas Market cruise early December. Worried more about keeping warm outside than being fancy for dinners. I was hoping the jeans I would wear during the day with a nice top would be adequate.  

• 5 months later...

I have been on several Viking cruises, both Ocean and River. I personally, want to limit my luggage to 1 checked bag and hate to get all dressed up and have to carry different shoes when I am on a cruise.  In Texas, where I live, jeans or shorts are the norm for almost anything, especially in our hot summers. My solution... I just choose to eat the evening meal in the casual dining area, where I can be comfortable and not have to worry about what I am wearing. Viking has great food in the World Cafe and often individually prepared dishes there also. Many of the dishes are the same as in the main dining room.  That way, I can limit the number of dressier outfits that I take to the evening excursions off the ship.

6 hours ago, sandianc said:

... My solution... I just choose to eat the evening meal in the casual dining area, where I can be comfortable and not have to worry about what I am wearing. ... 

What about when you're on Viking River? You're talking about what you wear on VO.

10 hours ago, sandianc said:

I have been on several Viking cruises, both Ocean and River. I personally, want to limit my luggage to 1 checked bag and hate to get all dressed up and have to carry different shoes when I am on a cruise.  In Texas, where I live, jeans or shorts are the norm for almost anything, especially in our hot summers. My solution... I just choose to eat the evening meal in the casual dining area, where I can be comfortable and not have to worry about what I am wearing. Viking has great food in the World Cafe and often individually prepared dishes there also. Many of the dishes are the same as in the main dining room.  That way, I can limit the number of dressier outfits that I take to the evening excursions off the ship.

Not trying to be snarky, OP, but PLEASE read the 5 pages that make up this thread---you will even find PHOTOS of people on an actual Viking river ship.  Sailed the Rhine 3 months ago with Viking, NO ONE CARES how you dress.  Saw everything from dresses and jackets to jeans.  Once you sit down most of what you are wearing is no longer visible.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Fast forward to 2022.  We are doing the Seine to Normandy on Viking the end of May.  My question was going to be "does hubby need a sport coat?"  He always used to wear one, but times, they are a changin'.  But I'm sure he'd wear slacks and a button down shirt for dinners.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but to those who have cruised recently, are things better or worse post pandemic??  I can't imagine having dinner next to someone in shorts and a tee shirt much less sleeveless tee shirts!

19 hours ago, emckeeve said:

Fast forward to 2022.  We are doing the Seine to Normandy on Viking the end of May.  My question was going to be "does hubby need a sport coat?"  He always used to wear one, but times, they are a changin'.  But I'm sure he'd wear slacks and a button down shirt for dinners.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but to those who have cruised recently, are things better or worse post pandemic??  I can't imagine having dinner next to someone in shorts and a tee shirt much less sleeveless tee shirts!

No to jackets - any collared shirt is fine. I usually wear long sleeve knit shirts with either 3 buttons, a short zipper or cowl neck. No jeans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...