Opting out of paying Daily Service Charge

4 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

So you took away the staffs tips that served you on your cruise? I'm assuming you tipped them in cash instead, yes?

I don't see where the poster said they took away tips, just the service charge. They are two different animals.

9 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

I don't see where the poster said they took away tips, just the service charge. They are two different animals.

That is incorrect .....They are the same animal. The service charge is the onboard tips and is removable. We aren’t talking about service charges on the drink promo and such which are not removable . 

4 hours ago, HAPPINESS IS said:

I believe that the only way to resolve this pathetic issue and to ensure that 'some' are not able to take up the option to cancel payment of this "discretionary" charge, is for cruise lines to include this "discretionary" charge with the cost of the cruise. 

Or, another option.  For the cruise lines to pay a living wage.  You know, take responsibility for the souls they take in to their employ and ask them to leave their families for months at a time to do our laundry, clean up our mess and make us feel like we're old money when most of us had to save two years for a cruise.

• Like 5

This is completely false. A service charge is not a gratuity. If it was, they would call it a gratuity and not a service charge. If they call it a gratuity, then all of the money has to be distributed to the staff. It is not. It is a service charge just like what the resorts charge when they charge a resort fee.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

This is completely false. A service charge is not a gratuity. If it was, they would call it a gratuity and not a service charge. If they call it a gratuity, then all of the money has to be distributed to the staff. It is not. It is a service charge just like what the resorts charge when they charge a resort fee.

Semantics that have been argued on here a million times over, Kate.   The service charge replaced the old fashioned envelope way of tipping.  That is why people consider it to be the tips no matter what fancy name it was given.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, KateQ22003 said:

No, you’re wrong again. I’ve sailed NCL enough and so have you to know that the DSC is prepaid tips. They don’t refer to them as “tips” . I have my two bookings pdf’s  in front of me. Tips are referred to as Daily service charge right on your booking statement. I don’t get what you don’t understand. 

FC0D40E5-A005-4FED-B9F2-DB9B584E178C.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Semantics that have been argued on here a million times over, Kate.   The service charge replaced the old fashioned envelope way of tipping.  That is why people consider it to be the tips no matter what fancy name it was given.

Thank you ....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

In this case, semantics matter. Please show me on NCL site anywhere that states that the DSC is a gratuity that is 100% distributed to staff. They call it a service charge and not a gratuity for a reason. I have no problem with people who think that it's a tip, but I know from my travels that 100% of that money does not get distributed to the staff. That's why it hurts me so much when I see people getting crapped on for removing the DSC, and accused of taking money out of the hands of the staff. That's just not true.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

In this case, semantics matter. Please show me on NCL site anywhere that states that the DSC is a gratuity that is 100% distributed to staff. They call it a service charge and not a gratuity for a reason. I have no problem with people who think that it's a tip, but I know from my travels that 100% of that money does not get distributed to the staff. That's why it hurts me so much when I see people getting crapped on for removing the DSC, and accused of taking money out of the hands of the staff. That's just not true.

..... And it breaks my heart that you have no idea what you’re talking about. The DSC is also called gratuities aka tips. That’s how it works on NCL. If you want to remove the DSC and then pay by cash to the individuals you want to have the tips you can do so but the DSC is distributed. Obviously you’re probably one that does it too sadly enough. 

54F340F9-2DD7-41C8-A7B4-1D21DA7C6A97.png

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

That's the fact jack.  So glad the envelope line went away.  

• Like 2

If you talk to the people that work on the ships they will tell you that 100% does not go to all the employees.

Each cruise line is different with how they distribute their so called gratuities. You can call it what you will and choose to pay it or not.  I have always paid it  and hopefully the employees behind the scenes  such as deck hands, laundry people, etc get their fair share.  I always tip up and beyond for great personal service I get from my steward, waiter or anyone that went up and beyond what they needed to do.

The choice is strictly yours and it is not necessary to convince people of your reasoning  and it is also not necessary for people to be critical of your choice.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cottagers2000 said:

To put your mind at rest, I certainly did not leave any money for anybody. I never even saw the steward during the week, so there was no way he was getting anything for straightening the bed and pulling the cover back at night. When I go to work, nobody tips me for the job that I do, so why should I tip anybody on a ship for the job that they get paid for. ? No doubt all the do gooders will be up in arms but "am I boffered" ?

That’s fine, you’re obviously not in a position where you can tip and really need the extra money.  I don’t expect someone that’s barely getting by in life to tip.  A lot of others that make a good salary tip extra and make up for those less fortunate like yourself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

Or, another option.  For the cruise lines to pay a living wage.  You know, take responsibility for the souls they take in to their employ and ask them to leave their families for months at a time to do our laundry, clean up our mess and make us feel like we're old money when most of us had to save two years for a cruise.

Now we all know THAT would never happen. It’d eat into the bottom line! Screw the crew, NCL has shareholders to please. 😂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ryanryanryan said:

That’s fine, you’re obviously not in a position where you can tip and really need the extra money.  I don’t expect someone that’s barely getting by in life to tip.  A lot of others that make a good salary tip extra and make up for those less fortunate like yourself.

This is true. He must be very poor, a penny pincher, and probably from Europe. Cottagers must have scraped his life savings together for this cruise and the fact that he has nothing left to tip is ok in his case. Since he doesn’t get a tip at his job surely nobody else deserves one at their job. A cruise staff’s worst passenger nonetheless. 

• Like 2

I haven’t been on a ncl yet. Do they even leave envelopes for tips anymore ?

i just paired my dsc for my upcoming cruise.    But I’ll still bring extra small bills for separate tips.  Gonna bring some 2.00 bills to.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I haven’t been on a ncl yet. Do they even leave envelopes for tips anymore ?

i just paired my dsc for my upcoming cruise.    But I’ll still bring extra small bills for separate tips.  Gonna bring some 2.00 bills to.   

envelopes and suggested tip sheets are a thing of the past.

Most seem to like it better this way so I'm sure it's here to stay.

I also bring small bills to take care of my favorite bartenders or anyone else I choose.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

envelopes and suggested tip sheets are a thing of the past.

Most seem to like it better this way so I'm sure it's here to stay.

I also bring small bills to take care of my favorite bartenders or anyone else I choose.

That’s what I thought.   So why someone would not pay the dsc. is beyond me.   

Cheap b.    Lolol.        I just placed my order for my 2.00 bills.   It good being good friends with your bank teller lol.   23 days to go.     

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

That’s what I thought.   So why someone would not pay the dsc. is beyond me.   

Cheap b.    Lolol.        I just placed my order for my 2.00 bills.   It good being good friends with your bank teller lol.   23 days to go.     

Agreed! More often than not, cheap it is.

I think most people don't prepay and then a few will think about it before they board or once they board and realize it's a sizeable chunk of money. If there's 4 of you on a 7 day cruise, it's over $400 that's being charged to your account.

I guess some think it's free money that can offset other charges, such as excursions and booze.

I don't know really but I just prepaid for my sailing so my onboard bill will not be crazy.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

This is true. He must be very poor, a penny pincher, and probably from Europe. Cottagers must have scraped his life savings together for this cruise and the fact that he has nothing left to tip is ok in his case. Since he doesn’t get a tip at his job surely nobody else deserves one at their job. A cruise staff’s worst passenger nonetheless. 

We remove the DSC and tip as we go based on services received.  we Prefer to supplement their pay rather than provide a subsidy to the billion dollar company. 

Oh btw, the behind the scenes folks are not cleaning your sheets or washing your dishes. They are actually cleaning the cruise lines sheets and the cruise lines dishes.  Providing a donation to that cause is just plain silly, but if that floats your boat.....

Have a a great cruise everyone!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

We remove the DSC and tip as we go based on services received.  we Prefer to supplement their pay rather than provide a subsidy to the billion dollar company. 

Oh btw, the behind the scenes folks are not cleaning your sheets or washing your dishes. They are actually cleaning the cruise lines sheets and the cruise lines dishes.  Providing a donation to that cause is just plain silly, but if that floats your boat.....

Have a a great cruise everyone!

What you do is fine too and nobody has an issue with that. Leaving nothing for anyone is quite different most would agree.

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

and probably from Europe??? OUCH!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rachiem said:

and probably from Europe??? OUCH!

We know that the idea of Europeans not tipping is a myth.  Why did my hairdresser today, waiter and taxi  driver on Saturday and nail technician on Wednesday not seem surprised when I rounded up their charges.  However it is true that we do not tip at such high rates as our friends across the pond. 

When it comes to  cruising,  many passengers from Uk  now have the option of service charges as a perk.  This has been the perk on the last three cruises I have booked from a uk travel agent.   Of course since nothing in life is free they are locked into the cruise price.  That  gets passengers out of the choice of paying or not.  Service charges are still paid.   I like this way of resolving the culture differences.  

Edited by ollienbertsmum
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

An even better option would be for those who are fortunate enough to cruise, to acknowledge that the souls who are employed by the cruise lines and who leave their families for months at a time to do our laundry, clean up our mess and make us feel like we are old money, be rewarded for their hard work. We are, after all, talking about a mere $14.50 per day here.  Small change, when one earns Euros, Dollars, Pounds.  With our currency being so weak, once converted, we pay in excess of ZAR 220 per day per person for this "discretionary" charge, and yet, we pay it gladly.  Tipping for good service is after all the norm, even when one goes to a restaurant for a meal................. or not?

Funniest part of all is that those who don't pay,  obviously take that decision before even embarking on their cruise. How do they know they are going to have bad service in advance, or are they just hoping, so that they can "score" a few extra $$$$?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HAPPINESS IS said:

An even better option would be for those who are fortunate enough to cruise, to acknowledge that the souls who are employed by the cruise lines and who leave their families for months at a time to do our laundry, clean up our mess and make us feel like we are old money, be rewarded for their hard work. We are, after all, talking about a mere $14.50 per day here.  Small change, when one earns Euros, Dollars, Pounds.  With our currency being so weak, once converted, we pay in excess of ZAR 220 per day per person for this "discretionary" charge, and yet, we pay it gladly.  Tipping for good service is after all the norm, even when one goes to a restaurant for a meal................. or not?

Funniest part of all is that those who don't pay,  obviously take that decision before even embarking on their cruise. How do they know they are going to have bad service in advance, or are they just hoping, so that they can "score" a few extra $$$$?

Sorry, my error...... $14.99 per day.