New to NCL what is different?

jjdmom8

We have always cruised Carnival, but planning to sail with friends on one of the NCL ships (not sure which one yet). Can anyone tell me the differences between NCL and Carnival? Whats included? Whats extra cost? Shows? Eats?  Just a few specifics.. we are able to carry on can soda drinks, is this allowed on NCL? Breakfast in the dining room? Hows the drinking water? Shows?  Thanks in advance!

The answer to some of those questions will be based on which ship you sail.

Can you bring drinks on?  NO  https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy

Shows cost extra?  For the most part - no.  Some ships have a show that does cost because it comes with something.  On the Bliss there's a show called Prohibition, you get adult beverages as part of the show, that costs money.

Eats?  Just as with many cruise lines there are complimentary restaurants and specialty.

Drinking water might depend on the ship.  The Bliss had good water (generated from desalinated/purified sea water), I didn't have any trouble with it.  Most newer ships will use a similar process.

Cannot carry on any sodas/waters. There are some shows/meals that are extra cost. Felt like there was lots of extra specialty dining choices on NCL, but I was fine eating at their MDR or the buffet or O'Sheehan's (bar/pub kinda feel with a rather fixed menu, but I liked it). They have multiple MDRs, one is more formal attire and one is just come as you are (they serve the same menu). You aren't assigned a dining time, can just go whenever or make a reservation for whatever time you desire. 

Their shows/comedians (even complementary ones) have reservations, the app/online doesn't show all the spots so that was annoying.... You could standby if you didn't have a reservation. 

No free burger/Mexican specialty, but if you’re on one of the bigger/newer ships the buffet is solid and runs most of the day/night. Also a 24 hour sports bar place, complimentary for all meals. 

No lobster night.

6 minutes ago, perditax said:

No free burger/Mexican specialty, but if you’re on one of the bigger/newer ships the buffet is solid and runs most of the day/night. Also a 24 hour sports bar place, complimentary for all meals. 

No lobster night.

They had free burgers on Jewel.

59 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

They had free burgers on Jewel.

That’s why I said “specialty”, I think a lot of CCL cruisers are now accustomed to Guy’s Burgers on the ships (free), which supposedly are much better than standard buffet/deck burgers. 

The big difference we like is the freestyle concept.  Eat where you want, when you want.  No set seating, no dress code (except in a couple of the specialties), no mandatory formal night.  Most cruise packages come with unlimited adult beverages and three specialty dinners per person, all you pay is the gratuity.

If you select the Free@Sea beverage package, a 20% gratuity on the retail value is added to your booking. Amounts to $138.60 each guest 1&2 for a 7 day sailing. Bottled water, fresh squeezed juice and specialty coffees not included, but many top shelf liquors are. $15 allowance, which covers the vast majority of drinks. No limit on the number of drinks per day and two drinks at a time. Nothing to sign for.

4 hours ago, aero777 said:

If you select the Free@Sea beverage package, a 20% gratuity on the retail value is added to your booking. Amounts to $138.60 each guest 1&2 for a 7 day sailing. Bottled water, fresh squeezed juice and specialty coffees not included, but many top shelf liquors are. $15 allowance, which covers the vast majority of drinks. No limit on the number of drinks per day and two drinks at a time. Nothing to sign for.

Depends which NCL location you book through. No 20% gratuity through NCL UK

Booked Vancouver-Hawaii 11-day for 20th anniversary.

This will be my first NCL cruise as well. I was looking for this exact info. Thanks for starting the thread!

We have done CCL & RCCL before.

So, to summarize the main differences:

1) No formal night (good! I like dressing up, but hate packing a suit, shoes, etc)

2) No set dining times

3) No carry-on beverages

4) May have to pay for shows

5) Need to make reservations for shows

On 6/8/2019 at 11:11 PM, aero777 said:

No limit on the number of drinks per day and two drinks at a time.

Do you mean you can get two drinks with one card? That would be nice. Slight annoyance to get the SO's card to get us both drinks.

Also like the no-sign policy. RCCL cruise three years ago - still had to sign. Just cruised same ship last month - never had to sign.

On 6/9/2019 at 4:11 AM, aero777 said:

Not strictly correct. The £99 Free at sea booked through NCL UK office has no gratuity added on.You pay £99 only

21 minutes ago, Fee Waybill said:

Do you mean you can get two drinks with one card? That would be nice. Slight annoyance to get the SO's card to get us both drinks.

Yes, you can get two drinks at a time with one card swipe. No signing required if you have the drink package. Only have to sign if you are paying per drink or order drinks over $15 so the difference can be charged to your room.

23 minutes ago, Fee Waybill said:

Booked Vancouver-Hawaii 11-day for 20th anniversary.

This will be my first NCL cruise as well. I was looking for this exact info. Thanks for starting the thread!

4) May have to pay for shows

5) Need to make reservations for shows

Since you're cruising on the Jewel, there won't be any shows to pay for or to reserve. There won't/shouldn't be any problem finding seats for the shows.  Jewel class ships are my favourite size ships, very easy to navigate. 

Hope you enjoy your cruise, the itinerary looks amazing.