Oasis Hotel FLL?

39august

Reviews are very good for this little hotel near airport and cruise port. We are booked for Jan. 30 pre-cruise. Are there any restaurants, fast food, or Publix within walking distance, please?

Plugging the hotel into Google Maps (click here) reveals a Starbucks across the street and several restaurants (sit down and fast food) in the 1 to 2 blocks in each direction on Federal Hwy. It also reveals the view from the front of the hotel is of a car wash and the back lot of a BBQ joint where they chop wood for their belching smoker all day. (Food is very very good there though). The nearest grocery stores will be a mile away on SE 17 St or Andrews Ave.

Reviews on Trip Advisor et al are simply in the too-good-to-be-believed range for this no-tell motel in a tough urban location. You may be only a mile north of 17th Street and less than a mile south of Las Olas Blvd (but with no direct walking route to the latter) but this area is a world away from the normal tourist trappings. The intersection of Federal Hwy and Davie Blvd is active 24/7 with various street level entrepreneurs. 

My childhood home, where my mother still lives, is around the corner from the Oasis. I’ve walked, biked, or driven by it more times than I can count.

If you are looking for convenience (walkability) to the restaurants on 17th Street, you may want to stay closer. Las Olas is not particularly walkable from the Oasis. You do not want to walk through the New River tunnel. (It’s pretty short, but not the best path). The city has been running a ferry (not the Water Taxi, that’s a private company that has a larger service area) across the river, but it’s focused on commuters and has limited evening hours.

4 hours ago, FOPMan said:

The city has been running a ferry (not the Water Taxi, that’s a private company that has a larger service area) across the river, but it’s focused on commuters and has limited evening hours.

OP - if you want information on the water trolley, see www.riverwalkwatertrolley.com.

The Oasis sits at the edge of two neighborhoods. The one to the north (Rio Vista) is arguably one of the nicest neighborhoods in Fort Lauderdale with almost exclusively single family homes. The neighborhood to the south is nice, with a number of small apartment buildings and smaller homes. There are NO restaurants or shops in the neighborhood, however. Aside from the BBQ restaurant, choices in the immediate vicinity are limited. The closest restaurant I would be tempted by would be the recently-moved Quarterdeck, which is around the corner from Harbordale Elementary School (on the other side of the campus from Miami Road).