Passport or Copy

4 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

If you need to leave early for an emergency at home, wouldn't you go back to the ship to get your belongings? 

During one of our cruises to Bermuda we witnessed a scooter accident in which an elderly lady was hurt significantly. There would have been no way for her to get back to the ship before it departed. I believe her husband  was with her and probably went to the hospital with her. Granted the ship would have left their belongings with the Port Agent.

During that time the Cruise Director was advising folks to make sure they took a credit card and proper ID off the ship in case they were left on shore 😉

Years ago RCI would post a notice in the Cruise Compass.  "Leave your passport on the ship". The only port where we actually had to take our passport onshore is Russia, never been to Cuba.  If you visit Turkey on your itinerary, RCI will take your passport on check in and give it back to you after that port stop.

I take my DL, at least $20 in cash, one high limit credit card (to pay medical), and my seapass.

I have copies of our passports uploaded to Google Drive so they can be accessed anywhere.  Just make sure you remember the password, LOL.

1 hour ago, maryred said:

To the OP...

Just so you know a lost or stolen copy of a passport or any other ID is not a reportable offense, as it is only worth the cost of the paper it was printed on for a police or security report. Though copies are valuable to identity thieves or having a emergency form of ID issued by a consulate, it can not be used in a foreign country as a form of ID. If your copy is stolen or lost you should request to have your old # voided and a new passport # should be issued, but without a report or direct consulate aid the whole replacement cost (treated as a renewal) will be on you. With a police or security report of your actual passport being lost or stolen the State Department will replace for free or at least at a lower cost (still have to pay the upcharge if you choose to expedite).

Think of it this way would your state police accept a copy of your driver's license if you (as a driver) were stopped for a violation or at a checkpoint? Not in most state, so in addition to whatever reason you were stopped for they could issue you a ticket for not being licensed. In the very least that means a trip back to the nearest SP barracks with your actual DL or a DMV issued paper temporary to avoid having to go to court to prove you were licensed at that time to void that portion of the ticket. 

SO your copy is only a backup document for US officials to use to issue new IDs. It is best kept safe in a place like a home firebox or safety deposit box, or by at trusted friend/relative in the same manner, so they can quickly fax or email a scan of it to the consulate. Another option is to have it accessible by a mobile device like a cell phone or tablet, but not on the actual photo on the device. Just like a copy a photo is worthless as ID, so you don't want a digital "copy" of it accessible on a device that could be stolen. (The device can be reported as lost or stolen for insurance reasons but again any proof of ID on it is not reportable.) Storage in a password protect cloud or email account will still be accepted by a consulate as proof of prior issuance.

First you say a copy is worthless, then you say it's valuable to an identity thief. I say it's worthless for them, too. The only reason to have a copy is in the event something happens to the original as it will (per the State Department) help you to get a replacement. That's it's only value. And one needn't carry an actual physical copy, as mentioned one can have a photo of it on their phone or on the cloud. Keeping your copy at home in a firebox does you little if you lose your passport in a foreign port. 

7 hours ago, stevea36 said:

When I was in Bermuda last month they DID check your photo ID to make sure the name matches the seapass.  A Driver's License was accepted.   But, as others have said, have your passport on the trip with you (I keep mine in the safe) as it will be necessary should you need to return home by some other means of transportation.

Keep my passport in safe and a copy in my small purse.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scotty G said:

During one of our cruises to Bermuda we witnessed a scooter accident in which an elderly lady was hurt significantly. There would have been no way for her to get back to the ship before it departed. I believe her husband  was with her and probably went to the hospital with her. Granted the ship would have left their belongings with the Port Agent.

During that time the Cruise Director was advising folks to make sure they took a credit card and proper ID off the ship in case they were left on shore 😉

In case of a hospital emergency, use the port representative's phone number and contact the ship. They will make arrangements to have your passport, and possibly even your belongings, available for someone to retrieve if the injuries will require you to miss the ship. The local police may be able to assist in retrieving those belongings. Or the hospital may have someone on staff for such situations. 

That cruise director gave you good advice. My wife and each carry a high limit credit card, each in our own name and from two different banks. If one is lost, shut down due to fraud activity, or if the bank's account verification software is offline for some reason preventing businesses from being able to charge to the card, we will have another that is still functional. People should be aware that in many countries an emergency that requires hospital care and/or evacuation to a facility that can handle the injuries may require a patient to pay in advance for such treatment. You don't want to wait until your travel insurance company has been contacted and rendered a decision before treatments can begin. That may require a credit limit of many thousands of dollars, so carry cards that can handle such high dollar amounts. Both of ours have a $50,000 credit limit and charge no fees for use overseas. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

In case of a hospital emergency, use the port representative's phone number and contact the ship. They will make arrangements to have your passport, and possibly even your belongings, available for someone to retrieve if the injuries will require you to miss the ship. The local police may be able to assist in retrieving those belongings. Or the hospital may have someone on staff for such situations. 

That cruise director gave you good advice. My wife and each carry a high limit credit card, each in our own name and from two different banks. If one is lost, shut down due to fraud activity, or if the bank's account verification software is offline for some reason preventing businesses from being able to charge to the card, we will have another that is still functional. People should be aware that in many countries an emergency that requires hospital care and/or evacuation to a facility that can handle the injuries may require a patient to pay in advance for such treatment. You don't want to wait until your travel insurance company has been contacted and rendered a decision before treatments can begin. That may require a credit limit of many thousands of dollars, so carry cards that can handle such high dollar amounts. Both of ours have a $50,000 credit limit and charge no fees for use overseas. 

It's wonderful advice but I suspect that if most people waited until they had such a high limit card until they traveled the travel industry would collapse. Even now when DW and I have more money than we've ever had (love being empty nesters🙂) we don't have anything near that.

13 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

The only reason to have a copy is in the event something happens to the original as it will (per the State Department) help you to get a replacement. That's it's only value. And one needn't carry an actual physical copy, as mentioned one can have a photo of it on their phone or on the cloud.

Carrying a passport and using is varies significantly around the world. In some places it isn't even requested for viewing, while in other places if you don't have it with you...you're going to have issues with passage (even in Canada). There is no single absolute answer that applies to every situation.

The points above are generally correct.

A copy will streamline getting a replacement if yours is lost (or stolen) when traveling outside the United States. A medical emergency in another country will also be unpleasant without a passport. Those reasons  alone makes it worthwhile to understand/appreciate the value. Also, having a digital copy (on a phone or preferably in cloud storage for easy access on any computer) is advantageous for quick/easy access and/or printing if required.

Sadly...we've seen many people treat their passports more like a Seapass card than a critical secure document. Overseas...passports are stolen because they are viewed as a valuable asset for ID theft. It's not difficult to travel with a passport safely and securely...it just takes the small effort to remember how important this document is and keep it secure accordingly.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

3 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Carrying a passport and using is varies significantly around the world. In some places it isn't even requested for viewing, while in other places if you don't have it with you...you're going to have issues with passage (even in Canada). There is no single absolute answer that applies to every situation.

The points above are generally correct.

A copy will streamline getting a replacement if yours is lost (or stolen) when traveling outside the United States. A medical emergency in another country will also be unpleasant without a passport. Those reasons  alone makes it worthwhile to understand/appreciate the value. Also, having a digital copy (on a phone or preferably in cloud storage for easy access on any computer) is advantageous for quick/easy access and/or printing if required.

Sadly...we've seen many people treat their passports more like a Seapass card than a critical secure document. Overseas...passports are stolen because they are viewed as a valuable asset for ID theft. It's not difficult to travel with a passport safely and securely...it just takes the small effort to remember how important this document is and keep it secure accordingly.

I think most passports are stolen because they are kept with other valuables which are the main "target". I don't see any issues with not having my passport in Canada since most of the time I don't even have it with me when I go there. It is relatively easy to keep it secure if you have to carry, but not carrying it unless you have to is also an option and keeps it even safer. 

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I think most passports are stolen because they are kept with other valuables which are the main "target". I don't see any issues with not having my passport in Canada since most of the time I don't even have it with me when I go there. It is relatively easy to keep it secure if you have to carry, but not carrying it unless you have to is also an option and keeps it even safer. 

Having passed into and back from Canada numerous times...rest assured...one cannot predict the experience regarding passports. We've personally witnessed Canadian border agents request, inspect, and even orally questioning owners of passports for extended periods of time before allowing them to pass. Other times, it was a smooth and prompt process.

As for the motivation...rest assured in many parts of Europe...a stolen passport is worth its weight in gold on the "black market", far more than many other things found in a purse or wallet.

Overall the bet advice with passports - plan for the worst...hope for the best. There are few surprises using that concept when traveling.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Having passed into and back from Canada numerous times...rest assured...one cannot predict the experience regarding passports. We've personally witnessed Canadian border agents request, inspect, and even orally questioning owners of passports for extended periods of time before allowing them to pass. Other times, it was a smooth and prompt process.

As for the motivation...rest assured in many parts of Europe...a stolen passport is worth its weight in gold on the "black market", far more than many other things found in a purse or wallet.

Overall the bet advice with passports - plan for the worst...hope for the best. There are few surprises using that concept when traveling.

You missed the latter part of the sentence that you highlighted, that I most often cross into Canada without my passport, as in I do not have it with me since it's in the safe deposit box (of course I do have an acceptable alternative). Sometimes they ask questions, sometimes they don't, it's part of their job and I for one am not bothered by it at all. Yes, passports are valuable on the black market but thieves, especially pickpockets, only target what they know you have. So unless you are waving your passport about they don't know you have it or where it is. Your camera bag on the other hand is a visible target, as is a purse, so if you keep your passport there then it is more susceptible to being stolen but it wouldn't be the target, the camera bag or purse would be. And if you don't need to carry it what safer place can there be for it than in the safe on the ship? Of course you are free to carry it if you are worried about an emergency happening and if you do then as you say keep it secure, but pragmatically there is practically zero chance of it being lost or stolen if it's on the ship.

I might be wrong, but all this talk about worries of getting a passport stolen.  On my recent trip, I was fingerprinted, picture taken, and compared with the scanned biometrics imbedded in passport.  Once a passport is stolen, it can be turned off, just like a credit card.  I don't think a stolen passport is worth that much now, and I would bet that only the most advanced crime organizations would be able to manage a stolen passport. I might add, it never left my pocket in two weeks. 

I also never leave home without several credit cards, each with over a 40K limit.  You never know when you need it to cover until insurance kicks in.

Edited by Joseph2017China
addional info

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

And if you don't need to carry it what safer place can there be for it than in the safe on the ship? Of course you are free to carry it if you are worried about an emergency happening and if you do then as you say keep it secure, but pragmatically there is practically zero chance of it being lost or stolen if it's on the ship.

The whole purpose of having a passport is to meet international requirements for travel identity and citizenship. Agree that using the cabin safe is probably a good place to keep it while aboard.

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It's wonderful advice but I suspect that if most people waited until they had such a high limit card until they traveled the travel industry would collapse. Even now when DW and I have more money than we've ever had (love being empty nesters🙂) we don't have anything near that.

I acknowledge that ours is higher than normal and may not reflect the average, but I only wanted to describe our situation and how we handle traveling to provide an example of what can be done. We have been diligent with our credit and have a very high credit score. We asked for these limits and they raised them. They did not automatically raise them. I also own a business, so that may have been influential in receiving a high limit. 

Bottom line - think smart and be well prepared for any foreign travel and potential problems will be minimized. 

2 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

The whole purpose of having a passport is to meet international requirements for travel identity and citizenship. Agree that using the cabin safe is probably a good place to keep it while aboard.

If a country requires foreign nationals to carry proof of citizenship with them then yes, one must carry a passport. Many countries don't have such a requirement for cruise ship passengers. 

28 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

If a country requires foreign nationals to carry proof of citizenship with them then yes, one must carry a passport. Many countries don't have such a requirement for cruise ship passengers. 

And if they don't require we carry our passports at all times, the most secure place for them is in the safe, whether in your hotel room or in your stateroom. Unless you are renting a car or checking into a hotel, many countries never ask to see your passport after you have passed their customs and immigration entry points.

Why carry something so valuable if not necessary? If something unexpected happens that requires you present your passport, you will know where it is and can make arrangements to retrieve it. I carry only the minimum I will need for the day. No expensive jewelry, no wads of hundred dollar bills, and if not needed, no passport. With about 50 years of travelling to 48 countries and on every continent but Antarctica, I have never had an unexpected situation where not having my passport on my person was a problem. And I would bet that the vast majority of travelers have had the same experience.  

Edited by SantaFeFan

13 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

And if they don't require we carry our passports at all times, the most secure place for them is in the safe, whether in your hotel room or in your stateroom. Unless you are renting a car or checking into a hotel, many countries never ask to see your passport after you have passed their customs and immigration entry points.

Why carry something so valuable if not necessary? If something unexpected happens that requires you present your passport, you will know where it is and can make arrangements to retrieve it. I carry only the minimum I will need for the day. No expensive jewelry, no wads of hundred dollar bills, and if not needed, no passport. With about 50 years of travelling to 48 countries and on every continent but Antarctica, I have never had an unexpected situation where not having my passport on my person was a problem. And I would bet that the vast majority of travelers have had the same experience.  

Absolutely (stop making me sound like a broken record, will ya?🤣).

53 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

We know of at least 10 countries where we've gone on cruises that DO require passports to exit and/or return to the ship, as well as other reasons on land. No idea why it's a such a big deal to securely have it with you on excursions, etc. We've done it for many years...easy peasy.

11 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

We know of at least 10 countries where we've gone on cruises that DO require passports to exit and/or return to the ship, as well as other reasons on land. No idea why it's a such a big deal to securely have it with you on excursions, etc. We've done it for many years...easy peasy.

If I don't have to carry something I don't carry it and that includes my passport. If the cruise line tells me that the passport is required to be carried ashore then I'll carry it (and if I'm on a closed loop itinerary I think it would be hard for a country to require passengers to carry the passport since it's not needed to board the ship in the first place). If I need it for a shore excursion then I'll carry it. If neither of those conditions apply then I won't. Everyone has to do what they are comfortable doing, there is no right or wrong answer. Your way works for you, mine works for me.

21 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

If I don't have to carry something I don't carry it and that includes my passport. 

Makes sense...as long as you know ahead of time you don't need it (medical situation, local requirements for certain purchases, ship disembarking or boarding, etc.). 

10 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Makes sense...as long as you know ahead of time you don't need it (medical situation, local requirements for certain purchases, ship disembarking or boarding, etc.). 

As has been stated many times if something comes up the cruise line will make every effort to retrieve my passport from the safe and leave it with the port agent. Yes, I am more than comfortable with that, especially since I never needed a passport for any of my travel until 2015. The most I purchase ashore is a coffee cup or a magnet and if they wanted me to show my passport for that they'd lose the sale😁.

7 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

As has been stated many times if something comes up the cruise line will make every effort to retrieve my passport from the safe and leave it with the port agent. Yes, I am more than comfortable with that, especially since I never needed a passport for any of my travel until 2015. The most I purchase ashore is a coffee cup or a magnet and if they wanted me to show my passport for that they'd lose the sale😁.

So if you get injured on an excursion and medical or hospital personnel require proof of your ID and citizenship...just running back to the ship will cure that problem. Uh huh.  It only takes once to learn planning ahead for things is prudent, not just convenient.

14 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

So if you get injured on an excursion and medical or hospital personnel require proof of your ID and citizenship...just running back to the ship will cure that problem. Uh huh.  It only takes once to learn planning ahead for things is prudent, not just convenient.

Medical personnel aren't concerned with your citizenship, only with your ability to pay for their services. In any event 1) the port authority delivers my passport or 2) my traveling companion goes and gets it. Everyone analyzes risk differently and everyone reacts to their risk differently. 

49 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Medical personnel aren't concerned with your citizenship, only with your ability to pay for their services. In any event 1) the port authority delivers my passport or 2) my traveling companion goes and gets it. Everyone analyzes risk differently and everyone reacts to their risk differently. 

From 2 personal experience excursion medical situations...rest assured...that is not at all how it worked in 2 different Royal Caribbean port countries.

They would do emergency treatment, but injuries required numerous forms (including an "incident report" - not an insurance or medical form) plus a short list of acceptable ID (passport being one of a few) before getting ANY additional onsite treatment. Life-threatening cases are handled differently.

We can only speculate how more complicated this could have been had a helicopter evacuation been required (in a foreign nation).

So...much lake many topics on this site - one size doesn't fit all when it comes to how to handle travel situations, and general practices do not apply in some cases. Our experience has been to wisely have your passport with you when off the ship in non-U.S. travel locations to address any ID requirement. Since its a very small thing to carry...having one securely with us is easy peasy.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001