Cruise Critic Community
notamermaid

The river Main infos and river cruising experiences

I lived sort of next town to Lohr for 10 years as a child and back then nobody new about Schneewittchen´s origins. Lohr was not even of any interest for us. Except for the nearby monastery Mariabuchen where we went a couple of times.

Maybe I should go there and have a closer look.

steamboats

I"ve been to Lohr and the Schneewittchen Castle/House.  Quite an interesting museum, and of course the famous mirror.  Nice town.

A land trip to Franconia part 1

In August, a short trip took my travel companion and me to Bavaria, the Main river and the countryside around Würzburg. Of, course the town of Würzburg needed exploring, too, but a reluctance to stay much indoors and the heat cut the town centre visit considerably short. Time to flee and get to the river and cooler countryside. But first things first. Coming from the Rhine area, the landscape is not that much different to home. A little higher in topography with a few more fir trees, added to that a higher percentage of red roofs and onion-shaped church domes is all that told us we were heading to Bavaria. Well, it is the state but not the region. The region is Franconia and the dialect is still closer to what I speak than "deep Bavarian". Still, the difference is there and it makes you feel you are on holiday rather than "away from home just down the road to another town". We choose a countryside hotel making our way towards Würzburg via the Frankfurt A3 autobahn. Country roads meant we had a quick stop in Tauberbischofsheim, which is pleasant but does not merit a detour in my opinion. It is on the Tauber river, which I thoroughly enjoyed seeing, i.e. the river landscape. But that is for later. The vines along the Main river are a pleasant sight and made me think that this is so similar to the Rhine valley around Rüdesheim one would not be able to tell the difference when trying to guess where a photo might have been taken. Markt Neubrunn is a pleasant village with a massive old town gate plus tower. Nice to see if you are in the area, but I would not go out of my way to see it.

So, Würzburg! If you want to make use of the panorama photo setting on your smart phone, do it at Würzburg residence. This is my effort on a normal setting: IMG_20200808_123908.thumb.jpg.ce3887da07a10502f11930ddfb07aaf6.jpg

The town was reasonably full without being crowded due to the absence of tourists from afar. It was nice to wander around the streets and have a quick lunch at the bakery: https://www.koehlers-vollkornbaeckerei.de/filialen/alte-mainbruecke

The groceries market at the church was interesting. Again, pleasantly spacious due to the absence of international tourists:

IMG_20200808_121542.thumb.jpg.413fb97046e5df42f8181a1b86b9ef4a.jpg

The heat drove us out of town and we headed to Randersacker. A friend had given us the tip of going to that village just outside of Würzburg.

But that is for part 2.

notamermaid

A land trip to Franconia part 2

Randersacker is a village a few kilometres upstream from Würzburg. A friend suggested cycling along the river bank to get to it. That is a lovely idea, but it was just to hot for us on that day. So, a short drive took us to a car park near the river bank. It is so close to Würzburg that you can have short journey by local bus or take a taxi, which should not be too expensive. Along the main road past the village we found a fashion shop-cum-cafè and had a cooling iced coffee on the (first floor) terrace. We explored the lovely wine village with its tiny streets. The somewhat triangular square behind the church has a plantation of fruit trees and you are allowed to sample: IMG_20200808_152122.thumb.jpg.37214dacda20fd17f74fbc1ee7dcaf92.jpg

It says "Probierbaum":

IMG_20200808_152020.thumb.jpg.0f4f3fcf2bc328d62a8a3297a5871873.jpg

The short stroll along the river bank was nice and we watched the locals paddling and swimming in the river. The view upstream with the lock:

IMG_20200808_144200.thumb.jpg.4c144d01c6f802d86d718fbe8e4e7338.jpg

The view downstream with the vineyards:

IMG_20200808_144006.thumb.jpg.38ffc6a7d320ce2a1a8f69de3c6d4abc.jpg

Here is an official photo gallery of the village: https://www.randersacker.de/de/unser-ort/fotoalbum

The heat had taken its toll and we headed back to our hotel via country roads to have a relaxing evening with some Franconian food and beer - and wine!

notamermaid

I have just discovered, courtesy of Karlstadt's StadtMarketing, a lovely write up of Karlstadt am Main, our favorite place.  We have stayed and eaten at zum Fehmelbauer and it is lovely, the food is great.  Here is the  link (in german but can translate to english) https://www.delicioustravel.de/karlstadt-main/?fbclid=IwAR3-2IZ2j83zamgJ16xs_etio-9qfWa-QvXS6JhrFhxuepNiOIwGD1gfTuo

Good reading!

23 hours ago, rcaruso said:

I have just discovered, courtesy of Karlstadt's StadtMarketing, a lovely write up of Karlstadt am Main, our favorite place.  We have stayed and eaten at zum Fehmelbauer and it is lovely, the food is great.  Here is the  link (in german but can translate to english) https://www.delicioustravel.de/karlstadt-main/?fbclid=IwAR3-2IZ2j83zamgJ16xs_etio-9qfWa-QvXS6JhrFhxuepNiOIwGD1gfTuo

Good reading!

Nice read... But the ruin of the castle is called "Karlsburg". And "Schäufele" is not a typical dish for Lower Franconia (more in Middle and Upper Franconia).

steamboats