How early can we board ship?

Mabilu

We are cruising on Celebrity Edge out of Fort Lauderdale at 3:30pm.  How early can we arrive at the ship?  I am starting to look for flights now.  

Also, anyone tell me how much time to plan to get from FLL to the port?

You can start check-in about 10:00 or so and can usually board about 11:00 or so. A smart cruiser always flies in at least one day early, you do not want flight delays or cancellations cause you to miss the ship. If your ship leaves at 3:30 check in will close at 2:00.  From FLL to the port of nearby hotels in the downtown/17th street area is about 15 minutes in an Uber or taxi.

www.sunny.org has lots of area hotel and tourist info.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mabilu said:

Thank you Johnin!  I think we will fly in a day early, especially since I am flying out of Minneapolis in winter!  First cruise in 25 years so I'm rusty. :)

A couple of years ago we were on a flight from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale in January.  Seated across from us were two women from Minneapolis who were on a cruise that day and they were neverous wrecks - their flight from Minneapolis had been delayed so they missed their connection and now had just minutes to make it to the ship in time.  They vowed never to fly in the day of a cruise again!

And it can happen no matter where and when you are flying in from.  A couple of years ago there was a shooting at the Fort Lauderdale airport and ALL flights were delayed or cancelled.  You just never know. 

Even without flying!   I'm 5 hours drive from Charleston and Jacksonville ports - and even then we get there the day before.  You never know.  Even if you don't have car trouble, for instance - kids coming back from Florida sat at a standstill for 6 hours on the interstate because some moron took some shots at an officer from the woods.  
Not worth the stress.  Though finding the cheapest hotel the night before - uh yeah...yikes!   One of the first things I did on that cruise was take a shower!

Edited by Sabalon
typo

On 6/12/2019 at 8:23 AM, Mabilu said:

Thank you Johnin!  I think we will fly in a day early, especially since I am flying out of Minneapolis in winter!  First cruise in 25 years so I'm rusty. 🙂

Yes, yes, do this!  My in-laws ignored my advice and flew out of MSP day of.  Yes, they had travel insurance and booked air via the cruise line.   However, when their flight was massively delayed due to weather, they missed the ship and had to spend 3 days in Mexico waiting to board the ship.  It was very stressful for them!

Edited by vacationlover_mn