"Rome in a Day"

DENIE

We are on a 10-day cruise on the Celebrity Constellation in November, ending in Civitavecchia in November 2019.  We are a group of 2 couples, and decided that we would fly back to the USA the following day.  We are looking at a ships excursion of 6.5 hours that we join at the port, see a bit of St. Peter's Basilica and the Colosseum, and then returns to the FCO airport (where we will be staying at the on-site Hilton and not boarding a flight).  This all seems very easy and convenient, but wonder if anyone has any other suggestions for a tour that we can pick up at the port, see at least a couple of sites in Rome, and then take us back to our Airport Hilton?  The ships tour is $154 per person, but eliminates a lot of headaches, like what to do with our luggage.  We understand we are not giving Rome it's proper "due", but hopefully will whet our appetite to return for a longer time!

Suggest you contact one of the private tour companies to get a price on a similar itinerary for 4 persons.  It will probably be more than the ship tour costs, but you will also see much more.  First, you will control the itinerary based on your interests.  Also you will move faster without a big crowd and big bus.  It may be well worth the extra cost.  

Also, suggest you STAY in Rome overnight.  It's beautiful to walk around and see the sites and eat some wonderful Roman (rather than airport hotel )food.  FCO airport is only about a 45 minute ride.....we just did it in March.

Finally think about seeing one site well in the day you have.  Why not drive into Rome and see the Vatican Museum/St Peter's or Coliseum?  Even on your short schedule you have time to see one site well.  If you push you could even see both!

Enjoy!!

Caveat:  I love Rome, so take it for what it's worth...

I would agree with PelicanLvr that you could maximize your time in Rome much more effectively. Especially since you are two couples, it would be much more cost efficient to arrange for a private transfer with a tour of longer than 6.5 hours. Even if you opt to stay near the airport, the private tour would enable you to see more of Rome and perhaps even go inside St. Peters and the Colosseum -- especially since you will be going in November and crowds will be much smaller than in the summer months (pre-purchase of tickets is still advised for the Colosseum or the Vatican museum if you go there....)

I would also second their advice to stay in the historic center of Rome. It is lovely in the evening to take a little stroll at dusk, find a nice restaurant on a piazza (preferably with an outside table -- possible even in November with patio heaters!), and enjoy people watching. If you have a hotel near the Pantheon, for example, you could stroll by Trevi fountain before or after dinner, when it is very attractively lit up. Same with Piazza Navona.  All in easy walking distance.

Even if your flight is early, you don't save that much time by being at the airport, and traffic leaving Rome in the morning is generally not bad. Your hotel can arrange a taxi pick-up. A set taxi rate is 48 euro from any hotel in the Centro Storico to FCO airport. If there are two couples with luggage, you may need one of the larger taxi vans -- not sure if they run a bit more. 

You will not regret seeing more of Rome. You can rest on the flight, lol.

I agree with the above, but if you are determined to stay out at the Hilton, I would have a car service pick you up at the ship and go directly to the hotel to drop off your things so you don't have to worry about them.

Then you could either have the car service take you into Rome (for an additional fee), use the Hilton's shuttle, or take the train from the airport.  

This way you could take your time in Rome and enjoy dinner in the city before heading back to the Hilton.

Thanks all!  Much to consider!  We are first-timers going over the pond as well, so not too familiar with everything, although are confident with the private tours we booked at our port stops.  Yes, we do have an early morning flight back to the USA, so that was a driving force to stay at the airport.  Will look at these options! Thanks again! 🙂

I'm with Euro Cruiser on this one.  I am not an early riser under any circumstances (I work the 3-11pm at the hotel just so I don't have to wake up to an alarm to get to work by 7am!!!).  I stay out at the airport Hilton (Not the Hilton Garden Inn) when I'm flying home and my flight is before noon.  It's just me.  I would just get transport from port to the hotel, then take the train into town.  You could easily DIY if you just want to see the Colosseum and St. Peters, have some food & wine, and enjoy the walking around.

I take the Leonardo Express train back into Rome from the airport, spend the day, and take a night train back - I think the last one is at 10:30pm.   

• Like 1

Actually, if they haven't changed the drop off point, the Hilton shuttle bus leaves you at Teatro Marcello, so you can walk up the Cordonata to Campidoglio and have that wonderful view over the Roman Forum.  From there to the Colosseum is a short walk.

11 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I take the Leonardo Express train back into Rome from the airport, spend the day, and take a night train back - I think the last one is at 10:30pm.   

Yes, and that allows you plenty of time to enjoy a romantic dinner in one of the most beautiful cities in the world … what a great way to end your vacation.