Alcohol on Queen Mary 2

Jeffrey1950

3 hours ago, Photo Andy said:

On board 750ml of sparkling water is £5 approx. and in  our local supermarket is £0.70, a considerable saving when I drink 2x 750ml per day. 

Our local Tesco sells 2L bottles of sparkling mineral water for £0.18!

1 hour ago, gbrchill said:

as long as it fits through the x-ray machine as you embark.

In Brooklyn a wine carrier fits through the scanner with the wine bottles carried upright. I don't know whether other embarkation ports have as generous an opening on the scanner.

Se1lad

useful info regarding price of a UK sparkling water, especially as this is my local supermarket,  thanks.  

Were you able to carry on board? if so, how many as a 2l bottle is bigger than a 0.75l bottle. Are they sold in a pack ?

Thanks. 

32 minutes ago, Photo Andy said:

Se1lad

useful info regarding price of a UK sparkling water, especially as this is my local supermarket,  thanks.  

Were you able to carry on board? if so, how many as a 2l bottle is bigger than a 0.75l bottle. Are they sold in a pack ?

Thanks. 

These are sold as individual bottles.  I’ve never taken any on board as you get unlimited free San Peligrino in QG, but I imagine you could take as many as you can carry.  Not all Tesco seem to have it - if not there is a more expensive 2L one around £0.50 which seems to be in most stores.

Just verified with Cunard that we can bring on a bottle of spirits as they call it but pack it in your check luggage. We can also bring on cans of pop so we are all set now. Since we upgraded from an inside to a sheltered cabin on deck 5 this will be awesome. 

Now the wait!

Currently on QV in the Canaries and finding Cunard very relaxed with bringing on drinks for cabin. Brought on a couple of bottles of Madeira in Funchal and a bottle of coke (€1 for a litre as opposed to $4 for 1/3rd of a litre in cabin minibar) and they didn’t bat an eyelid.

Hello,

I took five or six bottles on my QV cruise around the Norwegian Fjords in June. Cunard never said anything but one member of security staff did joke with me about how much fun I’d be having drinking on my balcony....! I didn’t have the heart to tell her I’d only booked an ocean view.....!  

I’m travelling on QM2 next week and can you let you know. I have a decent amount of onboard credit so current plan is ‘just’ a couple of bottles of bubbles and 70CL gin. 
Does Cunard sell tonic water onboard, or just Sprite/lemonade? 
AF

40 minutes ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

Does Cunard sell tonic water onboard, or just Sprite/lemonade? 
AF

They do but if I recall a small bottle of tonic was round $2.85.

you would be better off taking a few cans of tonic on board and keeping them in the fridge in the cabin - or if you get through a lot of gin a few bigger bottles of tonic!

5 hours ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

one member of security staff did joke with me about how much fun I’d be having drinking on my balcony.

I've had one security screener say something like "We know where the party cabin is!" when scanning my mixed case of wine. Water off a duck.

4 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

The bottled tonic (at least the one they reach for by default) is Fever Tree which is a little pricey at the grocery store anyway.

At Tesco in the UK you can get FeverTree at £4.25 for 8X150ml cans which is probably a 75% cost saving vs buying on board.

its quite often on offer too at a lower price.

Good gin deserves good tonic. We choose to buy it over the bar, we had already brought on board the gin and the Prosecco. They have a wide range of the Fever Tree tonic flavours, not all bars have all of the flavours. Similarly not all of the bars have all of the gins that they have on board.

7 hours ago, Se1lad said:

At Tesco in the UK you can get FeverTree at £4.25 for 8X150ml cans which is probably a 75% cost saving vs buying on board.

At my local grocery in the US four 200 ml bottles of Fever Tree are around $6, while other brands typically have six 300 ml bottles for around $4.  It's just not as jarring for me to see what Cunard charges for a bottle of Fever Tree vs. tonic from the hose.

Edited by Underwatr