Alcohol on Queen Mary 2

Jeffrey1950

Yes, you can bring alcohol on board the QM2 and other Cunard ships.  They have a very adult policy, unlike many other restrictive lines.  Bring what you want, but be prepared to pay corkage fees in restaurants and bars.  Drink with abandon in your stateroom but be careful that you don't fall off your balcony!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Onboard QM2 this week. No change to carry-on rules.

The booking terms do mention a limit of one bottle of wine per adult. This is not enforced, but allows Cunard to reserve the right.

Not a wine drinker- I always take Gin or Bacardi.

2 hours ago, Underwatr said:

We brought gin and no wine this trip.

Good to know as we

2 hours ago, Underwatr said:

We brought gin and no wine this trip.

be bringing Gin too, and a case full of tonic !!!!

On 6/14/2019 at 3:59 AM, Jeffrey1950 said:

I am used to being able to bring alcohol on board and now I have just read on another site this is no longer allowed. Can someone tell me is this a new policy or can you still bring it on within reason?

Always bring a few bottles of Champagne and frequently take one of them along to the dining room to share at table.

Rarely am I charged corkage - except one wine waiter in QG who professed to know a lot about Pol Roger and didn't like it when I told him the facts - he charged me corkage - but he received no gratuity.

On 6/16/2019 at 8:59 AM, laktex said:

Always bring a few bottles of Champagne and frequently take one of them along to the dining room to share at table.

Rarely am I charged corkage - except one wine waiter in QG who professed to know a lot about Pol Roger and didn't like it when I told him the facts - he charged me corkage - but he received no gratuity.

Well I expect the poor chap took  umbrage at being referred to as a wine waiter.

Queens Grill is the pinnacle of Cunard and 'Sommelier' would be more appropriate..

😀😀 

Edited by Solent Richard
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 3:59 AM, laktex said:

Wouldn’t it be a “fact” that the person discussing wine in QG would be referred to as a sommelier - and not a “wine waiter”?

• Haha 1

Well gentlemen, I referred to him in this post as wine waiter and I am not sure it is any fact that he should be referred to as sommelier. In my opinion he didn't know too much about Pol Roger history. I did not call him a wine waiter to his face so there should be no "umbrage" taken by the fellow in that regard - maybe the umbrage was on me as I thought him a little arrogant.

I suggest he was maybe none too pleased that I brought my own bottle to the table - in my experience some are OK with it, some are not,  - despite having purchased wine every day at dinner.

No real difference to the butlers - some are absolutely brilliant - some considerably less so.

Trevor

5 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Cunard refers to the position as wine waiter in its hiring postings.

Their U.K. recruitment site is advertising for sommeliers:

https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/carnival/displayjob.aspx?jobid=4134

They’re also advertising for sommeliers with fluent Japanese so their Far Eastern adventures with QE must be paying off - they want Japanese speakers for other passenger facing roles. 

Edited by kentchris
  • Like 1

On the Queen Elizabeth Alaska cruise of 10  June the corkage charge was $20, although in the on-board literature it said it was $25.

Security in Vancouver's Canada Place terminal doesn't know what ship you are boarding -  there are often three -  so anyone with alcohol is directed to a table to register the bottles. I had two bottles of Champagne and was told I had to register them at a desk. I told the people at the desk I was going on the Queen Elizabeth and they said, as I expected, to just go.

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Whats Rhum

Rhum is made slightly different to Rum, from start to finish has to abide to the French Agricole AOC regulations.   From the type of cane, the method of cane cutting, to crushing, and commencing distilling, plus the Distillery has to abide by French rules and regulation regarding distilling, casking and bottling Rhum.

Very labour intensive, and a high quality product, of the dry end of taste, not for those who like sugar bomb Rum, but not messed about with.  Probably the purest form of Rum (Rhum).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
15 minutes ago, theavonb said:

Would I be allowed to bring a bottle of vodka on board or will it be confiscated?

I took a bottle of gin on the QM2 last year plus Champagne and have a bottle of gin and Jack Daniel waiting for the QV in 10 days time. Plus Champing. We're celebrating a big birthday 🙂 I am sure Vodka will be treated just the same as mine and glanced at with a smile

Edited by cook68

9 minutes ago, cook68 said:

I took a bottle of gin on the QM2 last year plus Champagne and have a bottle of gin and Jack Daniel waiting for the QV in 10 days time. Plus Champing. We're celebrating a big birthday 🙂 I am sure Vodka will be treated just the same as mine and glanced at with a smile

Wonderful, it is our anniversary when we board next June.  What about pop for mix, is it available or to we buy it?

I think you can take what you like on.  I am just off the QM2 after touring the States and I had a lot of bottles in total - three half bottles of dessert wine, a bottle of Bourbon, a bottle of moonshine, two bottles of table wine - spread between my checked and carry on luggage.  No-one said a thing; I consumed one of the wines on board but otherwise got the rest home.

3 minutes ago, theavonb said:

Wonderful, it is our anniversary when we board next June.  What about pop for mix, is it available or to we buy it?

You could buy a mixer on board. There will be cans of coke in your fridge. I don't remember seeing tonic? We took a few bottles of tonic and will do the same. It's just nice to have a little pre drink in your room when getting ready in the evenings.