Venice Hotel Recommendations

caral2004

We stayed at the Rialto Hotel just last month ( June 2019) and I can’t recommend a better option. It’s a vintage hotel right on grand canal next to Rialto Bridge. So you are right in the thick of things , close to all attractions.  A private water taxi or a vaporetto from airport will bring you right to hotels dock area so you won’t be dragging luggage. And the hotel staff were great.  Great place to stay fo4 a few nights to see the magic of Venice 

We stayed at Hotel Ala, about a 5 minute walk to San Marco.  Totally agree with poster who mentioned how lovely Venice is at night when the tourists leave.  We loved wandering San Marco, listening to the dueling orchestras or riding the vaporetto up and down the canal.  The hotel is small, I believe only 2 stories (quite old building) but someone carried our bags up the marble staircase for us.  We had a room at the back of the hotel with shutters that opened on to a small canal and really enjoyed seeing and hearing the gondoliers from our room!  Room was small but perfectly adequate, modern bathroom and wonderful included breakfast.  Really reasonable price and accessible via vaporetto with our luggage.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 9:24 PM, aaalynn1 said:

I have a few questions as well. Although this post has helped me some, Im still not sure where to stay.  We disembark in the morning and are staying in Venice for two days.  I think I will take your advice and stay somewhere in Venice that is on a canal and the atmosphere is traditional or vintage. Would the hotel be able to hold our luggage while we explore during the day? Do most hotels provide a water taxi to the airport?

We think we will do our own thing and just get lost in the city. Walking, taking gondola rides, getting gelato, searching for the best coffee and finding a romantic dinner place. Not wanting to spend a fortune, but hope to find something priced around 150-180. 

I also spent two days before in Venice. Stayed in a lovely hotel in Venice (Hotel Al Duca). No water taxi included but I arranged a shared transfer prior to arriving and that was wonderful. Then took a private one from the hotel to the cruise port. After the cruise, I stayed another two days and this time stayed in Mestre, across from the train station. Originally, the plan had been to use the train to get to some other areas (like Verona) but the weather was not great so opted to go into Venice again via train. Worked out well and the hotel held the luggage that first day until I came back to check in after 4pm. The hotel also arranged for the taxi to the airport. I suspect most hotels will hold luggage but check reviews and see what people say. I spent several hours researching locations for hotels, recommendation and reviews. This website helped quite a lot too https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Highly recommend the Hotel Olimpia which is right off of P Roma.  Will be staying at this hotel a 4th time for our cruise out of Venice in May 2020.  Superb staff, very clean rooms, beautiful outdoor garden area to relax and have gelato in (shop right around the corner) and great breakfast.  We just Love it there!!!

Highly recommend the Hotel Olimpia which is right off of P Roma.  Will be staying at this hotel a 4th time for our cruise out of Venice in May 2020.  Superb staff, very clean rooms, beautiful outdoor garden area to relax and have gelato in (shop right around the corner) and great breakfast.  We just Love it there!!!

On 6/27/2019 at 10:05 PM, Baletrina said:

We stayed in an AirBNB near the Canal. It was charming and perfect. Made us feel Italian! 

As as far as luggage, there are porters you can hire with carts that will move your bags over the many steps and cobblestones pathways. We saw them as my poor husband dragged 3 suitcases while I pushed/carried 2 kids. Next time we will find those guys! 

I agree, in general as an older generation Hotels/motels still see most familiar and comfortable way to go, but my kids always do the AirBnB thing except when on business, and this time we did a little research and found a cute 2 bedroom with balcony with partial views of San Marco and just a short 25 meters from thee square, no amenities like resturant, front desk or daily sheet change but for the price 250/night for a two bedroom, bath/kitchen rocked.  

If you're thinking of a day-trip or two from Venice (Padua? Verona?), then consider staying in Mestre.  We stayed at the Hotel Bologna right across the street from the train station.  Nice business hotel with a good restaurant at around $85/night. Clean, modern, helpful staff.  Mestre itself is nothing much, but it's on the main line to the rest of Italy.  The train takes 10 minutes to get into Venice; trains run about every 10-15 minutes.  And you can easily get a taxi at the hotel to/from both airport and cruise port.   

All this info is great!

What is the best way to get to the airport from Hotel Olimpia?  Make our way to Piazzale Roma then take a bus?

How much time do you think is required?  ... flying to Paris.

15 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

All this info is great!

What is the best way to get to the airport from Hotel Olimpia?  Make our way to Piazzale Roma then take a bus?

How much time do you think is required?  ... flying to Paris.

What do you mean by best?  The easiest is probably taxi, about 45E.

I've always taken the ATVO airport express bus.  It costs about 8E pp and it leaves PRoma about every 20 minutes. It's like a greyhound bus, and you throw your luggage in the hold beneath.  https://www.atvo.it/allegati/aeroporti/linea_35_dal_31.03.19_al_26.10.19.pdf

It's about a 5 minute walk from the hotel to the ATVO stop, then a 20 minute drive to the airport.  I've had nothing but problems at VCE so I always recommend getting there 2 1/2 - 3 hrs prior.  

On 5/1/2019 at 3:24 AM, aaalynn1 said:

I have a few questions as well. Although this post has helped me some, Im still not sure where to stay.  We disembark in the morning and are staying in Venice for two days.  I think I will take your advice and stay somewhere in Venice that is on a canal and the atmosphere is traditional or vintage. Would the hotel be able to hold our luggage while we explore during the day? Do most hotels provide a water taxi to the airport?

We think we will do our own thing and just get lost in the city. Walking, taking gondola rides, getting gelato, searching for the best coffee and finding a romantic dinner place. Not wanting to spend a fortune, but hope to find something priced around 150-180. 

To be honest, your budget in Venice is a bit like mine - and is a little on the low side!!  I have secured what looks like a nice, convenient hotel near to the train station.  

I found mine by doing a search on a popular hotel booking website, looking at the map and then double checking reviews on Trip Advisor.  

As to whether or not a hotel will hold your luggage - you would have to ask them.  I am sure that some do.  

I am sure that most hotels do not ‘provide’ a water taxi, but could secure one for you.   They are the most expensive way of travelling in Venice according to what I have read.   We will travel  from the airport by bus because it is quicker and once in Venice we will get a 48 hour pass for the water buses and do our Grand Canal trip on a water bus.  

We stayed at Hotel Olympia prior to our cruise in June. I would highly recommend it. The triple room we had was small and DD’s Murphy bed was not the most comfortable but everything else was great. The breakfast was more than adequate and the staff were pleasant and helpful. The convenience to vaporettos and the people mover was very convenient. We were a group of 5 and I reserved a private van from the airport with Sun Transfers for 55 euros. The driver was waiting for us with a sign and dropped us as close to the hotel as he could get. 

I am recommending Hotel Olimpia also. We stayed there in June and would definitely stay there again. If you are taking the People Mover to the ship, check how busy the port is. If there are several ships in port, I would suggest getting your vouchers for the people mover early that day. We left our luggage at the hotel and toured for a few hours in the morning. When we went over around 12:30, it was a madhouse of people with luggage trying to purchase tickets from the kiosks. Enjoy.

15 hours ago, SSAtlantic said:

I am recommending Hotel Olimpia also. We stayed there in June and would definitely stay there again. If you are taking the People Mover to the ship, check how busy the port is. If there are several ships in port, I would suggest getting your vouchers for the people mover early that day. We left our luggage at the hotel and toured for a few hours in the morning. When we went over around 12:30, it was a madhouse of people with luggage trying to purchase tickets from the kiosks. Enjoy.

So do you mean you suggest we go earlier in the day (without luggage) to purchase people mover tickets from the kiosk.  Then we would just come back later (with luggage amd tickets in hand) to get on the people mover?

Can people komover tickets be purchased the day before?

I've never been to Venice, so just trying to understand logistics like this.  Thank you.   

8 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

So do you mean you suggest we go earlier in the day (without luggage) to purchase people mover tickets from the kiosk.  Then we would just come back later (with luggage amd tickets in hand) to get on the people mover?

Can people komover tickets be purchased the day before?

I've never been to Venice, so just trying to understand logistics like this.  Thank you.   

You could do either of these things if you wish.  We were a party of five.... arrived at people mover, the others stood out of the way for 30 seconds while I bought five tickets, we carried on from there.  Really, it’s like getting tickets for a metro/subway.

• Thanks 1