Just booked Escape for next Sunday Help please

63galaxie

We decided to book Escape for next Sunday. I could use some quick advice.

What airport should we fly into?

Hotel recommendations near Manhattan Cruise Port. 

Thank you you so much. 

The three closest airports are Newark Liberty International in Newark, New Jersey, La Guardia Airport and John F Kennedy International Airport in New York City. La Guardia is currently undergoing a billion dollar terminal renovation which causes numerous traffic delays. Check airline prices and make your decision now. A smart idea is to fly in a day early, stay in a midtown Manhattan hotel close to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Last minute airline prices and hotel accommodations unfortunately will be expensive.

5 minutes ago, 63galaxie said:

We decided to book Escape for next Sunday. I could use some quick advice.

What airport should we fly into?

Hotel recommendations near Manhattan Cruise Port. 

Thank you you so much. 

Hi 63Galaxie,

We cruised the Escape in the beginning of April. We flew (the day prior to the cruise) into Newark and spend the night at the Hilton Garden Inn, Secaucus, NJ.  (12 miles between airport and hotel)

https://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-jersey/hilton-garden-inn-secaucus-meadowlands-EWRSCGI/index.html?SEO_id=GMB-HI-EWRSCGI

Sunday morning we called Uber and it was $15 bucks to get us to the pier. 

If you are coming in earlier and want to spend some time in Manhattan, then this would not be the method for you to use. We did this as we flew in the day prior to the cruise and flew out the day the ship returned. 

Good luck and enjoy the Escape ! 

Regards, 

Vinegarjoe 

12 minutes ago, 63galaxie said:

We decided to book Escape for next Sunday. I could use some quick advice. What airport should we fly into? Hotel recommendations near Manhattan Cruise Port.  Thank you you so much. 

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square to be in the middle of the NY nightlife. Just up the street from the cruise ship terminal. We flew into LGA because the flight times and cost were a lot better than JFK. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2650410-norwegian-escape-to-florida-and-the-bahamas/

9 minutes ago, Corby114 said:

The three closest airports are Newark Liberty International in Newark, New Jersey, La Guardia Airport and John F Kennedy International Airport in New York City. La Guardia is currently undergoing a billion dollar terminal renovation which causes numerous traffic delays. Check airline prices and make your decision now. A smart idea is to fly in a day early, stay in a midtown Manhattan hotel close to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Last minute airline prices and hotel accommodations unfortunately will be expensive.

What kind of traffic delays? Would they be as severe on a Sunday morning?

(I’m looking at a similar last minute deal, but LGA is my cheapest option.)

I flew out of LaGuardia recently to Florida for a scheduled vacation. The LaGuardia terminal renovations started in 2016 and since then traffic on the airport property is very bad. They continue to change traffic configurations as construction progresses. If you are saving a considerable amount of money just be prepared for the excessive traffic. La Guardia is the closest of the three metropolitan airports to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. As I mentioned in my earlier post do the smart thing and fly in a day before your ships scheduled departure. I have lived my entire life thirty minutes outside of New York City in Northern New Jersey and on most occasions traffic in NYC is bad unless you are on the road traveling in the early morning hours.

I hope I made a smart decision. We’re going in a day early to New Jersey airport but decided to fly home the day we get off the ship.  Out flight leaves at 12:30.  Will this give us enough time to get to the airport on a Sunday morning? 

3 hours ago, 63galaxie said:

I hope I made a smart decision. We’re going in a day early to New Jersey airport but decided to fly home the day we get off the ship.  Out flight leaves at 12:30.  Will this give us enough time to get to the airport on a Sunday morning? 

What airport?

You should be fine, do early walk off and you will be off the ship and thru customs by 8:00-8:15am under normal conditions

Am assuming that when you say you're "going in a day early to New Jersey airport"  that you mean Newark International (EWR), correct?

1230PM flight out of EWR from the cruise ship terminal in Manhattan is definitely do-able.  As Laszlo states above, just opt for the early walk-off & you should be completely off & hailing a cab to the airport no later than 830.  We sail out of NYC most of the time & we've gotten off as early as 715.  The ship actually docks around 0600 but they have to wait till they're cleared by the local port authorities & until US Customs staffers are ready.

How are you getting to EWR?  If you're using a NYC cab then walk across the street from the terminal there's a cab stand there that's usually not as crowded.  Or you can UBER/Lyft it from your cell phone app.  The NYC cab fare is around $65-70 plus tip & tolls.

Have a great cruise!

I don’t think NYC cabs are obligated to take you to N.J., and if they do, they can charge whatever they want. I don’t believe they can pick up fares in NJ back to the city. There is no need to choose a Manhattan hotel close to the cruise port, any hotel will be an easy cab ride away. Traffic tends to be light on Sunday mornings.