Cost of Spirits for Cabin Consumption

tring

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

but if you dont get any response I would consider taking your own in your hand luggage there are some good offers on at the moment in supermarkets.

That was what I was going to do, but if only a few pounds more expensive onboard I wouldn’t have bothered with the hassle of carrying it on for drinks on the balcony.

Unlike a couple of years back on Cunard when a glance at the restaurant wine list made it clear that it if you wanted something reasonable it was sensible to place an order at Majestic to collect on the way to the ship and pay the $20 corkage in the restaurant, as that would still save you £20 or so on each bottle. The guys on the X-ray scanners were slightly amused at a couple of suitcases going through full of wine bottles.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, picsa said:

Anyone know if P&O are still doing this, and if so the current prices.

6 hours ago, majortom10 said:

You could do with somebody currently on Britannia to tell you if they still sell bottle of spirits for cabin consumption and prices to see if its reasonable but if you dont get any response I would consider taking your own in your hand luggage there are some good offers on at the moment in supermarkets.

Surely as P&O and the other Carnival Corp brands are currently only doing UK cruises, there will not at present be any duty free sales either to take off the ship or for cabin consumption?

There may be info re those prices on FAQs, but until the ships sail to foreign ports, I am not convinced even those prices would be up to date for this autumn and beyond.

There were certainly no duty free sales on another cruise line which we have done a couple of summer UK cruises with.

32 minutes ago, Satellite city said:

Are duty free prices and selection any good? We aren’t huge drinkers but if there is a decent offer on some nice cognac then my parents would likely appreciate a surprise gift.

Please see my comment above.

5 minutes ago, tring said:

Surely as P&O and the other Carnival Corp brands are currently only doing UK cruises, there will not at present be any duty free sales either to take off the ship or for cabin consumption?

There may be info re those prices on FAQs, but until the ships sail to foreign ports, I am not convinced even those prices would be up to date for this autumn and beyond.

There were certainly no duty free sales on another cruise line which we have done a couple of summer UK cruises with.

The prices of bottle of spirits on the room service menu for cabin consumption are not actually duty free just that they are eagerly priced and a good thing done by P&O. Duty free is purchased and not actually picked up on the last day of the cruise and are generally cheaper.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

The prices of bottle of spirits on the room service menu for cabin consumption are not actually duty free just that they are eagerly priced and a good thing done by P&O. Duty free is purchased and not actually picked up on the last day of the cruise and are generally cheaper.

On an international cruise, P&O won't pay any duty on drinks sold for consumption on board. So they'll be making a huge profit on the bottles sold for people to drink in their cabin. Not so much profit at the mo though on UK cruises with having to pay the duty.