cruise insurance?

4x4TX

I couldnt find this answer in search, but seems like i remember there are better and cheaper insurance options than buying what carnival offers, is that correct? if so what is the place to go? 

3 minutes ago, 4x4TX said:

I couldnt find this answer in search, but seems like i remember there are better and cheaper insurance options than buying what carnival offers, is that correct? if so what is the place to go? 

Yes, but due to CC rules, we are prohibited from listing insurance companies directly. However, if you go to insuremytrip.com, you can compare prices of reputable companies.

Edited by jbethel11

Also, if you have a travel oriented credit card it may have sufficient coverage for your needs.

I have a Chase Sapphire reserve and it has enough travel benefits so that getting separate travel insurance is not necessary.

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

Yes, but due to CC rules, we are prohibited from listing insurance companies directly. However, if you go to insuremytrip.com, you can compare prices of reputable companies.

Misinformed. You can mention insurance companies and the brokers.

www.insuremytrip.com

www.tripinsurancestore.com 

Are  just a couple of brokers who can help you out.

just know what you want to insure against. Travel insurance is not a catch all product whose policies are all the same. They each have their differences.

Read everything and read it again. A medical evacuation can cost $$$$$$$$, I always get a plan with at least $500,000 for med evac . Check yr coverage for medical, if you break yr leg or need stitches in a different country, they will charge you $$$$$$$. I don't care about flights, I fly SWA so I can change if I need to, luggage is not a biggie for me either, but they will be covered with Allianz (higher), I use Travel Guard alot. Mess around with the site, change yr total trip price to a bit lower or a bit higher, like, if I enter $800 for total trip cost, the quote will show a price, then I go back and enter $1000 same price. If you lower it to 500. the plan will be lower. They cover quite a few different areas, check them out to see which is best for you.

7 hours ago, 4x4TX said:

Try the cruise insurance forum for these types of questions

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kadeeu said:

Also, if you have a travel oriented credit card it may have sufficient coverage for your needs. I have a Chase Sapphire reserve and it has enough travel benefits so that getting separate travel insurance is not necessary.

MAY HAVE are the key words here. For you and some others, credit card insurance can be a great option.  And Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) is one of the best.  But this is not a great option for everyone. As others have said, make sure you understand what you are trying to insure, and read the policies to make sure you will be covered.  For example, here are some of the limitations of the CSR insurance:

• Very limited medical insurance.  If your primary medical insurance covers you out of the country, then this will not be an issue.
  • Somewhat limited Emergency Evacuation and Transportation coverage. If your cruise is to the Caribbean or other places, relatively close to home than $100K should be fine.
  • 60 day look back period for pre-existing conditions. If you or non traveling family members do not have any pre-existing conditions, then this should not be an issue.
  • No "cancel for any reason" option, so trip cancellation/interruption benefits must be for a covered reason. Another thing that is not a problem for many.

@4x4TX Be sure to read the policies and better yet first talk with one of the insurance brokers mentioned in a previous post. So many people post here after the fact, because they did not understand what they had or what they purchased. Also look a travel oriented credit cards to see if any of them meet your needs.

Edited by Jersey42

On 6/19/2019 at 10:23 PM, jbethel11 said:

There is no such rule.

(There is a rule about not naming travel AGENTS, but that is totally different.)

We'd strongly recommend contacting a travel insurance broker, who can discuss a variety of policies from several different insurers.

We use - and recommend - www.TripInsuranceStore.com

... but we always recommend CALLING them and NOT relying upon the short online summaries.  The "fine print" in the full policy can really matter.  And speaking with a rep can also help them to help you get the right type of coverage for your particular needs.  Not everyone has the same needs.  Some people have pre-existing conditions.  Some people have family members who are not traveling, but they worry about their health, etc.  Or some people need coverage for work-related problems.

And it is ALWAYS important to make sure that you have adequate medical coverage.  Not all health insurance covers "out of county" (and plain Medicare covers almost nothing out of country, although the various "add ons" might).

We've purchased, through TIS, policies from Travel Insured, and they have paid all of our claims promptly, and with no nonsense, with is what matters, after all.

GC