Breakaway-Roatan Question

nt13

I am sailing on the Breakway in July and the time in port for Roatan starts at 10am.  Is it likely to be a big backup getting off the ship? Any tips on getting off the ship without a long wait time as we will have young children with us?  Do we wait until later?  How much later?  Or is it not that bad? We have a private tour and can start any time we want.  Thanks!

15 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Following.  We are in the same situation.

Breakaway and July means crowds for sure. I would wait an hour or so before trying to exit the ship. If you have a tour planned make sure you don't book it early and leave plenty of time to get back to the ship. We love Roatan, some fun things to do with kids and snorkeling is awesome. 

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

Breakaway and July means crowds for sure. I would wait an hour or so before trying to exit the ship. If you have a tour planned make sure you don't book it early and leave plenty of time to get back to the ship. We love Roatan, some fun things to do with kids and snorkeling is awesome. 

Thank you! But I  just now read that we have to be at the place to see sloths (my daughter’s dream) before 11am! So now i guess that means we have to line up early instead of later. 

9 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Dumb question, but is Roatan a tender port?

Roatan is a "sometimes" tender port. There is limited cruise docking so the sometimes the ship may tender and sometimes it will dock.

11 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Dumb question, but is Roatan a tender port?

I think docked. It doesn’t say tender anywhere on the itinerary and it looks like it’s the only ship in that port that day. 

9 minutes ago, nt13 said:

I think docked. It doesn’t say tender anywhere on the itinerary and it looks like it’s the only ship in that port that day. 

Only ship in port; yes, you are right, it is docked; otherwise it could be a tender. We have had it both ways. 

32 minutes ago, nt13 said:

Thank you! But I  just now read that we have to be at the place to see sloths (my daughter’s dream) before 11am! So now i guess that means we have to line up early instead of later. 

Make friends with someone in the Haven and ride down the private elevator with them. You get off first and will be there pretty quickly.

Assuming that you do not have to tender, getting off in  Roatan is easy as can be. Without rushing being off within 15 minutes of being told the  gangways are open is the norm. Just don't stop for the photographers, walk around  them and anyone who stops for them.

40 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Assuming that you do not have to tender, getting off in  Roatan is easy as can be. Without rushing being off within 15 minutes of being told the  gangways are open is the norm. Just don't stop for the photographers, walk around  them and anyone who stops for them.

Thank you!  I read a review that said getting off was a nightmare, but hopefully that is because it was a tender.  

2 minutes ago, nt13 said:

Thank you!  I read a review that said getting off was a nightmare, but hopefully that is because it was a tender.  

My experience in 7 stops at Roatan is that it is always quick off unless people stop for pictures. (Be sure to watch for multiple open exit lines on the ship. Often the one furthest to the left has no one in line and the one to the right is jammed.

3 minutes ago, jcscv said:

I took this cruise a couple of months ago, and the line to get off the ship went the length of the ship, but once they opened the departing area, it moved really fast.

Thanks!  Do you have any suggestion of when to get in line if we need to be off by 10:15am?

We will be in Roatan on July 9.....   3 ships are scheduled that day.

Tender?  or a matter of who gets there first?  :)

Also, our Costa Maya day has  2 ships scheduled and our Cozumel day has 5 scheduled.

Any tenders at those ports?

Thank you!

40 minutes ago, bellame said:

We will be in Roatan on July 9.....   3 ships are scheduled that day.

Tender?  or a matter of who gets there first?  :)

Also, our Costa Maya day has  2 ships scheduled and our Cozumel day has 5 scheduled.

Any tenders at those ports?

Thank you!

I can't speak to the tender/dock priority plan in Roatan, but will say tendering wasn't horrid from there.  

The dock at Costa Maya had three ships on our recent day and we all docked.   It's a long walk from the pier, so take a hat.  

and... Cozumel wtih 5!  Yuck  (I have no meaningful information about that port yet.) 5... shiver 

6 hours ago, nt13 said:

Thanks!  Do you have any suggestion of when to get in line if we need to be off by 10:15am?

On a late port call, there is no good time. Despite pleas from the Cruise Director, 4500 people will be crowding the gangway long before the ship pulls into port.