Swelling feet

Tablelamp

I have the same problem.  I've always put it down to more salt in food than my usual diet which would cause fluid retention.  So..... I've just Googled it and found the following:

The common denominator was that chefs on board the cruise ships were using large amounts of salt in their cooking, together with the fact that travellers tend to eat more on a cruise. ... Too much salt in one's diet causes fluid retention, and this could be why your feet and ankles return to normal when you return home.

• Like 1

Take nettle or dandelion tea and make a cup each day in your cabin, they are both natural diuretics and help to reduce swelling if it is fluid retention related.

My personal theory (based on absolutely no facts, just my taste buds) is that the food on all cruise lines contains more salt than I would ever use in cooking at home. The extra salt can cause retention. To reduce my intake I try to have less processed meals at breakfast and lunch like porridge or boiled eggs, salads etc so I can enjoy dinner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kruzseeka said:

I have the same problem.  I've always put it down to more salt in food than my usual diet which would cause fluid retention.  So..... I've just Googled it and found the following:

The common denominator was that chefs on board the cruise ships were using large amounts of salt in their cooking, together with the fact that travellers tend to eat more on a cruise. ... Too much salt in one's diet causes fluid retention, and this could be why your feet and ankles return to normal when you return home.

Your post was not in view when I posted. That’s quote is interesting and confirms my own suspicions.

8 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Your post was not in view when I posted. That’s quote is interesting and confirms my own suspicions.

It's quite reassuring to find a plausible explanation.  I'd never bothered to research it before but as it was raised here as an issue with fellow cruisers, I was quite relieved when I found that info.  

I'll give Eglesbrech's tip a try next cruise and try to drink more water too. 

I am going to try the dandelion or nettle tea.  I’m flying off to England on Friday to join an Arcadia cruise, sailing on Monday.   I will try and buy the tea today.  I wouldn’t think they will supply it on the ship.   I shall let you know when I return if it worked.

2 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I am going to try the dandelion or nettle tea.  I’m flying off to England on Friday to join an Arcadia cruise, sailing on Monday.   I will try and buy the tea today.  I wouldn’t think they will supply it on the ship.   I shall let you know when I return if it worked.

The tea is an acquired taste but persevere as you will get used to the taste. The nettle tea is probably the easier one to find, try to get an organic one and just nettle on its own (they do nettle and peppermint etc).

Also try avoiding the salty foods when you can. 

Have a lovely cruise and I will  be interested to hear how you get on.

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

A question for experienced cruisers.   I have been cruising for years but at the end of each day, my feet have swollen.   Has anybody else had this problem and has anybody found the cure?

If you're on a cruise where you are more likely to be wearing jeans and trainers during the day (Fjords), wear flight socks instead of normal socks. They cause the circulation to work harder, which also eliminates the fluid. It's roughly the same principle as putting your feet up - it's forcing the blood back to the heart

If you're in warmer climes, even wearing them for a couple of hours (afternoon nap, say) in the privacy of your cabin can help a lot too.

I have been told by a friend that a masseuse suggested that if you lie on your stomach and bend your knees so that your feet are in the air for at least half an hour that will help and what would help even more was that if you had someone who would run their hands from your ankles to your knees, therefore to help remove the fluid.

But the question was asked for swollen ankles from heat and humidity, so I don’t know if this would help if this is caused by diet.

I don't have this problem and neither does my husband.  But those that do need to drink lots more water than you normally do.  Air conditioning is dehydrating, plus the salt in the food.  Although I like my wine in the evening, I drink far more water than I do at home.  Alcohol is also dehydrating.

• Like 1

Well this happened to me for the first time in 25 cruises on a 15 day TA.  And the strange thing was it was only my right foot.  I attributed it to sitting on a bar stool and drinking alcohol almost non-stop all day.  This was my first cruise where I really drank a lot as usually most of my cruises I'm off the ship and doing excursions.  I have another cruise coming up in November but that one is just 8 days and in the Caribbean.  I will be interested to see if my feet/foot swell again. 

I had a feeling it would come down to.  ‘Drink water, not wine’.  Just when I have no car to worry about.  I see we are, on Arcadia, next week to have an extended stay in Malaga, two and half days.  What a bore.  At least P and O will cover the extra Tax.

3 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I had a feeling it would come down to.  ‘Drink water, not wine’.  Just when I have no car to worry about.  I see we are, on Arcadia, next week to have an extended stay in Malaga, two and half days.  What a bore.  At least P and O will cover the extra Tax.

You and I must be the only ones who think overnights are a waste of time.

• Like 1

Good evening   Terrierjohn,  I don’t mind where the ship is going, I just like being at sea.  Still I suppose, these maintenance jobs have to be done, to keep us all safe.  Are you on the Arcadia next week?

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

Good evening   Terrierjohn,  I don’t mind where the ship is going, I just like being at sea.  Still I suppose, these maintenance jobs have to be done, to keep us all safe.  Are you on the Arcadia next week?

Sorry not on Arcadia next week, I just dislike overnight stays.

3 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

The problem is drinking the desalinated tap water.  Drink only bottled water.  You should be ok.  

If that was true then everyone would suffer since all the water in the dining rooms is made on board the ship.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

It's quite reassuring to find a plausible explanation.  I'd never bothered to research it before but as it was raised here as an issue with fellow cruisers, I was quite relieved when I found that info.  

I'll give Eglesbrech's tip a try next cruise and try to drink more water too. 

I drink plenty of water on board, usually after it has gone through a distilling process and combining it with a quinine liquid. A few botanicals help as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

If that was true then everyone would suffer since all the water in the dining rooms is made on board the ship.

Well I’ve seen this discussed before and this was the consensus.   We’ve tried it out as my dads ankles used to swell terribly.  The first cruise they didn’t swell was on a seabourn when there was unlimited mineral water.  Now on our trips back on p&o he doesn’t touch non bottled and he was fine.  Clearly only people that have a reaction/condition have this problem, so it’s not true that it can’t be right as not everyone gets it!!