Good location on Nieuw Statendam for sailaway?

SnowshoeCat

We just booked a last minute trip on NS for this weekend. (My first on HAL!)  Despite having a balcony (another first!) I'd like to be on deck for sailaway and watch the Dutch countryside slip away before we head out to sea, and then enjoy the fjords later in the week.  I can't tell from looking at the deck plans. Are there any front-facing decks? Do they open the bow? There's always the gym, I suppose.  Share your secrets.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

1 minute ago, ski ww said:

They do open the bow for scenic cruising. We like to go to the Sea View pool area on the Lido Deck.

I would agree, the Lido deck stern (Sea View pool and bar area) is often where the ship will hold a sailaway gathering too and provides you with very good views of of where you've been, weather permitting of course.  Otherwise, the bow of the ship if it is open or the Sports deck will provide very nice views.  In inclimate weather, if you can get to the Crows Nest, that's the place to be. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 0bnxshs said:

I would agree, the Lido deck stern (Sea View pool and bar area) is often where the ship will hold a sailaway gathering too and provides you with very good views of of where you've been, weather permitting of course.  Otherwise, the bow of the ship if it is open or the Sports deck will provide very nice views.  In inclimate weather, if you can get to the Crows Nest, that's the place to be. 

These were my favorite areas as well.  The Lido deck stern area had a deck party with good munchies, drink specials, and music.  It was very festive.

I'm not certain about the deck for bow access on NS, however, on Koningsdam the bow was accessed from the promenade deck (deck 3) through what appeared to be water-tight doors on either side of the ship on the forward lateral portion of the promenade (outside wrap around walk).  There are usually signs posted indicating something like "Bow Access" on or near the area.  Some ships allow bow access through the Main Stage but I'm not sure that's how the Pinnacle-class ships handle this.

Also, anywhere on the Panorama Deck (deck 10) will provide nice open air views almost anywhere.  This is 1 deck above the Lido Deck (deck 9) where the Sea View pool on the stern is located and where the party that rkacruiser mentions is held.

Edited by 0bnxshs