wait to book specialty rest?

There's no guarantee that there will be any "deals" onboard.  However, if you do wait, and are flexible with your day/time, you should be able to get a reservation.

• Like 2

On my last sailing and current sailing I booked the BOGO 2 night package  for the Specialty Restaurants. We love Chops and Giovannis so I wanted to introduce my Mother to both of them. 

The reason to board the ship early is to get them squared away.

When its a slow time for the specialty restaurants they discount it so we book it. The second night we will be tired after an all day tour of Nice, Eze and Monaco so we will get a 6:30 PM reservation and enjoy it!  This is the time when I use the BOGO Glass of Wine offer.

One can't guarantee specialty restaurant deals onboard and I have always booked my restaurants online using the Cruise Planner as I have found it to be a good deal.  Then if we want to dine at Chops or Giovannis again  if a discount is offered I will book it onboard. Knowing you have two booked before you board is a great approach. 

If you really want to dine at a specialty restaurant I would book it now. What  do you have to lose?

Edited by travelplus

Check your cruise planner daily.  The 3 night package has been fluctuating between $99 and $89.  I booked it at $89.  Have a 10 night on Brilliance for 2020 and bought a 5 night package over Memorial Day for $119.  Will check over 4th of July to see if there are any better deals.  Many posters suggest book/cancel/rebook if the price is right.  Enjoy your cruise and dinners.

Pricing wise, a 3 night package @ 50% or 55% off in the cruise planner is about as good a price as you could get on a good discount onboard, but no guarantees of any onboard discounts, also nights and times might be limited.  If you plan on taking in 3 specialty restaurants or even 5 on a 9 night cruise, consider pre-purchasing  in the planner.

Other dining options like Chef's Table are slightly discounted in the planner but better deals may be had once onboard if sales are weak... but maybe not if sales are good.  If you are intent on doing chef's table, pre-purchase it because it might be sold out, if you intend to do it if opportunity presents itself and are flexible about which evening, wait til onboard.

A few months ago, I purchased a 3 night package for 73$ US during a Planner sale. (Good Deal)

We also purchased the Chef's Table at the same time for $80.  (Not such a great deal), but this will be on Brilliance, one the better venues for chef's Table of all of royal's fleet, and it will also be our 25 Anniversary, so we are not going to chance it and decided to pre-purchase.

dp

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Check your cruise planner daily.  The 3 night package has been fluctuating between $99 and $89.  I booked it at $89.  Have a 10 night on Brilliance for 2020 and bought a 5 night package over Memorial Day for $119.  Will check over 4th of July to see if there are any better deals.  Many posters suggest book/cancel/rebook if the price is right.  Enjoy your cruise and dinners.

Glad I purchased the 3 night package when it was 69.00......:classic_smile:

Edited by bouhunter

2 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Glad I purchased the 3 night package when it was 69.00......:classic_smile:

I think I got 3 night for $76, but that was on Mariner which has Hibachi. 😉

Edited by John&LaLa

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

That's what I got for last weeks cruise John. My August cruise on Mariner right now is coming in higher. Gonna wait until 4th of July weekend to see what the sales are.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

John I thought hibachi was not included in dinner package , preety sure it was not on Oasis last year, but we really enjoyed. 

41 minutes ago, George C said:

John I thought hibachi was not included in dinner package , preety sure it was not on Oasis last year, but we really enjoyed. 

I'm told it was added when they went to unlimited 

• Like 1

I have OBC that I won’t be able to access until I’m on the ship, I thinking about using that to buy a dining package. I’ve never purchased a dining package onboard though, I usually do it through the cruise planner. Does anyone know where I would go? Guest services? I’ll be on Symphony. 

11 hours ago, SCruiseFam said:

I have OBC that I won’t be able to access until I’m on the ship, I thinking about using that to buy a dining package. I’ve never purchased a dining package onboard though, I usually do it through the cruise planner. Does anyone know where I would go? Guest services? I’ll be on Symphony. 

You may even find them selling packages in the terminal, before you board.

54 minutes ago, SCruiseFam said:

Wow really? I wonder if they would use my OBC in the terminal?

Does not matter as you cannot direct which charges get covered by OBC.  All the charges accumulate on your onboard account, OBC is applied to the total at the end.  So as long as they are charging to your onboard account (which I'm sure they are), you are covered.

13 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Does not matter as you cannot direct which charges get covered by OBC.  All the charges accumulate on your onboard account, OBC is applied to the total at the end.  So as long as they are charging to your onboard account (which I'm sure they are), you are covered.

Thats great to know!! Thank you.