Island Princess December 2019 drydock

HappyMe_

There are no gaps in Island Princess sailing schedule in December 2019:

Dec 6-16: 10 night Panama Canal

Dec 16-20: 4 night Caribbean Getaway

Dec 20-30: 10 night Panama Canal

...nor are there any gaps I could find in Fall 2019 (at end of Alaska season) or Winter/Spring 2020 (when Island will sail the full circle South America, then the Hawaii/Tahiti/Samoa before heading to Europe).

I vaguely recall a post mentioning that there is a possible opening for a drydock sometime before the World Cruise which commences in January 2021; I will leave it to someone else to research her sailing schedule further. But obviously the person who maintains that typo-ridden questionable-on-facts fanpage the OP referred to is not keeping up with Princess' deployments.

Edited by fishywood

I missed that one.  I think the OP either miss-typed or whatever website they used is not the best at this information.

There is a 2020 drydock scheduled and the dates were adjusted as I recall.  ISLAND has no cruises between 11/6/2020 and 11/22/2020.

Edited by steelers36

Thanks all.  Looks like I may have found the ‘questionable on facts’ page.  Thats why when I have questions I come here on Cruise Critic to get sorted out.  This is what I saw,  a case of wishful thinking on my part.😀

8E5DC596-F131-423A-9A82-A233D6327B96.jpeg

Per Princess' website:

The ships receiving OceanMedallion in 2020 are: Ruby Princess (January 27), Grand Princess (March 29), Enchanted Princess (June 15), Emerald Princess (August 16), Coral Princess (October 16) and Island Princess (December 20). Crown Princess is already scheduled to become part of the MedallionClass in July 2019, and Sky Princess -- the line's newest ship -- will debut as part of the MedallionClass in October 2019.

Our September 2020 Island cruise is not listed as Medallion, as per the above schedule.

We were booked on the Island Mediterranean Adventure  Nov. 6-20, 2020. Our travel agent told us this sailing has been cancelled because the Island will be in dry dock.

No reason given. New cruise dates are Nov. 22-Dec. 6, 2020.

12 hours ago, HappyMe_ said:

I found a site which says Island Princess drydock December 6 -19 2019, Routine.  This may not be official and subject to change, but what would be considered ‘routine’.  Thanks.

a) Upgrading instrumentation on the bridge.

b) Repainting sections of the ship that are normally under water.

c) Engine maintenance, propeller maintenance, etc.

d) Refurbishing some public areas

Installation of features such as what is needed for the Medallion might be done during drydock, but that would not be routine work.

On 6/21/2019 at 2:04 PM, HappyMe_ said:

I found a site which says Island Princess drydock December 6 -19 2019, Routine.  This may not be official and subject to change, but what would be considered ‘routine’.  Thanks.

The Cruise Atlas for 2019-2020 always showed two December cruises for the Island during time period you mention: a 10 day Panama Canal and 4 day Caribbean.

As others have said, the Island dry dock will be in November 2020 -- in Italy. Among other things that will be done, this is when Medallion will be installed throughout the ship

It was originally scheduled to be done in the Bahamas in early Jan 2021, just prior to her inaugural Word Cruise.  But, in May of this year, because of the bad crane accident in April with Oasis of the Seas at that facility, all Bahamian dry dock schedules for all cruise lines were altered.

As a result, Princess cancelled the first of the Island's two 14 day Mediterranean/Middle East cruises in November 2020 so that she can go into dry dock in Italy during that time frame. The second one was moved back by two days, as was the Transatlantic, which was also shortened from 16 days to 14 days with two ports (Livorno and Lisbon) removed from the itinerary.

I am very confident in this information as we were booked on the original iteration of the TA and are re-booked on the new version. Both Princess and our travel agent sent us letters explaining the reason for the changes.

I hope this clarifies everyone's queries.

Edited by tothemall&beyond