First time on RC.... Explorer of the Seas

We are platinum on Carnival and NCL but decided to give RC a try.  We will be sailing on the Explorer of the Sea in a few weeks. Two week Baltic Cruise. Any tips, tricks or stuff we should know?  

What is is the policy brining water onboard. We read 12 per cabin. We drink lots of bottled water. Is this strictly enforced?  

Thank you. 

I'm curious to see some responses to this. We usually cruise Disney, but their Greek Isles Cruise is way too expensive. We'll be doing this itinerary on Explorer next year and a bit curious about what to expect!

Things have really changed in the last year or so. You used to be able to bring a couple of cases of water slap a cabin number tag on them, and they would show up outside the cabin.  Now you can bring a 12 pack as long as it is in your carryon.  You can order water from the cruise planner but it is expensive, I think they charge 48.00 for a 12 pack of 1 liter Evian. If you drink a lot of water the refreshment package for 1 is the way to go. 

On 6/21/2019 at 8:29 PM, rhinomike said:

We are platinum on Carnival and NCL but decided to give RC a try.  We will be sailing on the Explorer of the Sea in a few weeks. Two week Baltic Cruise. Any tips, tricks or stuff we should know?  

What is is the policy bringing water onboard. We read 12 per cabin. We drink lots of bottled water. Is this strictly enforced?  

Thank you. 

One of the bigger differences between lines that might be important for a longer cruise is that Royal has no self-service laundry facilities. Paid laundry service is available. Sometimes a "fill a bag" special is offered later in the week.

You are permitted to bring two 750 ml bottles of wine per cabin occupied by adults, but no other alcohol. If you buy alcohol in port, you leave it with security until the last night of the cruise.

Pool towels are available on the pool deck at towel stations, and lost/not returned towels incur a $25 charge. It is a good idea to check your account before the last night of the cruise (and on the last night) to make sure you are not being charged for anything incorrectly. Many people report finding an unwarranted towel charge on their account on embarkation day and having to have the charge removed.

Explorer currently has a nice fitness center with men's and women's locker rooms that have sauna/steam room facilities and full-size showers. These are free for all guests and offer an alternative to sharing the rather small stateroom bathroom, especially when getting ready for dinner.

You will be leaving from Southampton so you will find the terminal check in and security there very efficient, and quite speedy.

If you get good weather, Dizzy's bar is high up and affords great views.

Don't miss the two ice shows!  (Or The Quest (and l'm saying nothing more about it.....))

You may get a certain CC member, with a norse-sounding user name jump on here, and tell you the ship is in poor condition, a "rust bucket", and so on. Ignore him, he's wrong.

Thank you to everyone. Lots of good info. 

I should add add that I bought some kind of package called “the key”. It had some perks. I’m not sure all what it offers. I will have to look into it. Does anyone have any advice on that?  Thanks again. 

7 minutes ago, rhinomike said:

Thank you to everyone. Lots of good info. 

I should add add that I bought some kind of package called “the key”. It had some perks. I’m not sure all what it offers. I will have to look into it. Does anyone have any advice on that?  Thanks again. 

Here is a entire thread:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2601591-new-program-called-the-key/?do=findComment&comment=56115091

There's a thread on here sonewhere about The Key  that's a good place to start.  Personally  l don't think the extra benefits are worth the extra cost.

There are 4 eateries on board where you have to pay an additional fee if you want to eat there:

Johnny Rockett's - a 50s style American burger diner

Izumi - Asian fusion cuisine

Chops Grille - steakhouse.

Giovanni' s Table - Italian

Apart from these 4, all other eating is included: main dining room, buffet (windjammer) cafes and snack bars.

Edited by Sancho_proudfoot