Giving credit card on file for cruise!

DeeniEncinitas

Good evening all!

we are making our first cruise with O next March with 2 cruises. Question? We are long time HAL cruisers and we always in our completed information on file give our credit card of choice to use on the ship for charges. I have completed all the information but where do you add your credit card on file?

Thanks for any replies!

Denise😊

• Like 1

We've always given them the credit card to use when we check in.  It takes 2 minutes.

I've never noticed a way to give that information prior to boarding, but I certainly could have missed it.  Actually, I feel more secure just giving them the card when we sign in.  With all the hacking that seems to occur these days, I would prefer that it NOT be on file at headquarters.  (Assuming I didn't misconstrue your comment!)

Mura

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mura said:

We've always given them the credit card to use when we check in.  It takes 2 minutes.

I've never noticed a way to give that information prior to boarding, but I certainly could have missed it.  Actually, I feel more secure just giving them the card when we sign in.  With all the hacking that seems to occur these days, I would prefer that it NOT be on file at headquarters.  (Assuming I didn't misconstrue your comment!)

Mura

Oh Mura Thank you so Much!  We will do that at the same time we upgrade our OLife beverage package on deck 5 correct when we get on board!

Denise😢

• Like 1

never have given a CC before check in at the port

You go to the check in desk give them your CC they take your photo & give you your  "World Card"  & off you go

• Like 3

Denise,

When you check in you give them the credit card (or cards).  If you are signing in at the Lounge (as we have done on our most recent cruises), as you leave the lounge you will see a desk where you can update the drink package.  This will be by the exit door but NOT beyond it.

In the past, when we signed in at the entrance to the terminal, then you would look for the drink package people when you get on the ship ... but they don't make it difficult!  In that case, I guess go to reception. Or you can always ask a crew member where to go!

Mura

• Like 1

Again great information!  Now I see that HAL is behind the  times. This is great and I will do as both of you suggest at. Check in ! I felt not knowledgeable since O is so different from HAL. This is easy.

Thanks again

Denise👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mura said:

Denise,

When you check in you give them the credit card (or cards).  If you are signing in at the Lounge (as we have done on our most recent cruises), as you leave the lounge you will see a desk where you can update the drink package.  This will be by the exit door but NOT beyond it.

In the past, when we signed in at the entrance to the terminal, then you would look for the drink package people when you get on the ship ... but they don't make it difficult!  In that case, I guess go to reception. Or you can always ask a crew member where to go!

Mura

Actually, you can update to the "prestige package" (or purchase it outright) at multiple onboard locations (depending on the particular ship). Displays are usually setup in one or two public areas (e.g., adjacent to guest services or exec concierge) as well as at the entrance to the Terrace Café. Once you have agreed to the purchase, you are directed to guest services where you are issued a new key card indicating your booze change.

As aforementioned, your credit card info is only taken at embarkation and is not needed anywhere on board during your cruise.

• Like 2

The above is not exactly accurate. When one pays in full for the upcoming cruise the credit card used becomes your “ card on file”. Therefore, if you later call in to make a Privee or La Reserve reservation ( for example), they will ask if you want to use the card on file.

Upon boarding, then one gives them a credit card ( which may or may not be the same card) to be used for all further incidental spending.

• Thanks 1

Actually, it's 100% correct. The 'card on file' you reference is for pre-sailing purposes (deposit, final payment, anything you order prior to sailing like shore excursions, drinks packages or upgrades, etc.). It is NOT for on-board purchases, which is what this thread is all about.

Some cruise lines like HAL, RCCL, etc., let you add your card in the registration documents. When you have 4000+ passengers embarking in just a few hours, it's almost essential to get as much information gathered as possible to save precious seconds at check-in.

3 hours ago, Guindalf said:

Actually, it's 100% correct. The 'card on file' you reference is for pre-sailing purposes (deposit, final payment, anything you order prior to sailing like shore excursions, drinks packages or upgrades, etc.). It is NOT for on-board purchases, which is what this thread is all about.

Some cruise lines like HAL, RCCL, etc., let you add your card in the registration documents. When you have 4000+ passengers embarking in just a few hours, it's almost essential to get as much information gathered as possible to save precious seconds at check-in.

I appreciate that very much. That is how it is with HAL. I have received good information here with O and as I have said 

will follow through with the advice!

Denise😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warburg said:

Thank you Mary I appreciate the reply! Back in 2013 HAL had no limit of wine to bring onboard when in ports! We go to Europe every year sailing and it was great.

Now it is not possible! O does make it easy!

Denise😊

21 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Back in 2013 HAL had no limit of wine to bring onboard when in ports!

We have not sailed Hal in years, but based on the feedback that we see here on CC, I do not believe that this is true.  

35 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

We have not sailed Hal in years, but based on the feedback that we see here on CC, I do not believe that this is true.  

We have been doing 24 day collector cruises on HAL with Nieuw Amsterdam with its inaugural back in 2010 which we brought wine on board from our wine shop we like in Venice. Eurodam was the same in 2011-2013. We took a break a back on BAL 2016 which at that ind we were told 2 bottles only for room consumption any more wine will be a corkage fee I believe it was I could be wrong 16.00 or 18.00. 

Now we will be doing Koningsdam 2021 to Europe which has their version of a beverage package called Explorer 4! Not great as far as we feel . Once onboard will try to up grade to signature.  Ow we have 2 O cruises in March and April TA over and then a 12 day later at the end of April. O is far better with their beverage packages and bringing wine or spirits on board for room consumption. We plan on up grading our O beverage package and not dealing with bringing anything on board.

Denise😊

These are the current Hal rules regarding wine: (red highlight, mine)

Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

Edited by StanandJim

On 6/22/2019 at 6:42 PM, DeeniEncinitas said:

Good evening all!

we are making our first cruise with O next March with 2 cruises. Question? We are long time HAL cruisers and we always in our completed information on file give our credit card of choice to use on the ship for charges. I have completed all the information but where do you add your credit card on file?

Thanks for any replies!

Denise😊

When you check in and get your ship card and drop off your passport.

41 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

These are the current Hal rules regarding wine: (red highlight, mine)

Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

I know that Standard Jim. Those rules came in later. We are 5 Star Mariners and the rules came into play after our 2013 cruise. Spoke with my husband and yes there was a corkage fee at that time to bring to the MDR. We were able to bring wine onboard to our rooms.

Thank you

Denise😊

On 6/22/2019 at 7:48 PM, DeeniEncinitas said:

Again great information!  Now I see that HAL is behind the  times. This is great and I will do as both of you suggest at. Check in ! I felt not knowledgeable since O is so different from HAL. This is easy.

Thanks again

Denise👍

Dee.... go to the mirror and stare into it..... say  Oceania is not HAL  and repeat it  5 times         Remember  Carnival, princess  HAl  are all nickel dime mass market lines that provide a very basic experience for a very different demographic  than Oceania .     

You need to put aside all your HAL notions, that you have over the years been brainwashed into believing  are the norm.         FORGET  it....       Oceania is on a different level  and  treats its passengers radically different  in a good way.   No art sales, no soda cards, coffee cards, juice  no photos, no Gala nights, no once a cruise lobster, no fight for a chaise, no limit on liquor  or beer. at any time, no pay extra meals.  no silly luncheon pins and tiles, ....  no kids riding grandma's  scooter around the deck, no silly contests and games.......  its an adult  experience for adults

I once sailed HAl... had some good times  but realized that there was something better.  My HAL experience primed me to want better and seek it out..... Royal Viking, Regent and Oceania....   I don't want to go back knowing and experiencing what I know now.    After a few days  you will see  the difference and don't get mad at your self  for not discovering it sooner.... at least you took the leap.. from HAL

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks HawaiianDan! I know that and I respect you with your comments.

I just expressed to Mary in her comments to me how O is so easy compared to HAL.

A long time ago HAL only with wine policy was great in Europe. Not anymore. That is why we were switching.

Thanks again!

This was not a big deal I only wanted to know about credit card.

Denise😊

18 hours ago, StanandJim said:

You sure were, but it looks like you paid corkage, even  for that 

No, in the past there was no corkage fee on HAL for wine enjoyed in cabin and there was no limit on the number of bottles that a passenger could bring onboard. Fees only applied if a bottle was brought to a bar or dining venue.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

No, in the past there was no corkage fee on HAL for wine enjoyed in cabin and there was no limit on the number of bottles that a passenger could bring onboard. Fees only applied if a bottle was brought to a bar or dining venue.

Sea42,

Thank you so much for your responds! I very much appreciate you chiming in.

I knew someone would also give a clarification and agree!

I have received the best information to my original question and thank all!

Sincerely,

Denise😊

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 9:42 PM, DeeniEncinitas said:

Good evening all!

Thanks for any replies!

Denise😊

Princess too.  I was wondering the same thing...

• Like 1