We are back. Impressions of a first timer....

schattenfell71

We are back from our first ever cruise with the QM2 from Hamburg to Zeebrugge/Brugge, St.Peter Port and then back to Hamburg.

I will try to write down some of my impressions and thoughts about it and please sorry for my horrible English.

First of all the ship is awesome. I have read a lot of her in the internet and watched a lot of YouTube films but nothing can beat the original.

Our cabin:

We had an inside cabin (5082) which was ok for us for 5 days. Our cabin steward was great and the cabin was very clean. But I have to say that we would book an outside cabin for a longer cruise. We separated the beds so the inside cabin was spacy enough for us but fresh air on longer trips could be the better option.

The food:

We have had the last sitting at the Britannia restaurant and the waiters were great. The quality of the food was very good in our opinion and each night there were enough to choose from.

A great plus was the option to buy a bottle of wine and split it over two days. So we ordered a bottle of wine, drink some glasses and the rest will be stored for you for the next day. A great service!

We did not choose any drinking package and ended up cheaper to pay them as they come.

The ship:

Awesome!  We loved the British atmosphere and I did not find any spot which was dirty or in a bad constitution. We did a celebration cruise for 15 years of Queen Mary 2 in Hamburg and to sail away with all the other boats around you and the people waving to you from the land was a dream.

The thing I was aware the most of became my absolute favor….the dressing code in the evening. It was so much fun to dress up and we always loved the atmosphere when everyone was dressed up too. Great!

The entertainment:

The Royal Court Theatre shows were different each night and something for everybody. We always have fun watching it and the performers really know to perform a great show.

Afternoon tea is a must but it was way too busy for us so we did it just once. We liked it but it was very crowded.

The shore excursion:

We have had only two days on shore and we did everything by ourselves. In Zeebrugge I have ordered a private shuttle in advance and he brought us safe and fast to the city of Brugge and back. Much faster than the Cunard option.

In St.Peter Port we did a walking tour of our own and this was ok too. I was a little bit afraid of the tender boats but I have to say that I really liked it.

By the way: There was a magical moment when we did the tender back from St.Peter Port to the QM2.

On that day there was another cruise ship stopping for St.Peter Port and they stopped right in front of the QM2 so we could not see her from land or from the tender boat bringing us back. But just in the moment when we were on the tender boat the other cruise ship leaves the harbor. Everyone on that ship was on deck to watch the QM2 and suddenly we could see the QM2 there alone.  Our tender boat was getting closer very slowly and it was so impressed seeing her in her full that I´ve cried. I always dreamed to be on that ship and this moment was too much for me.

The only bad thing I can remember is not a fault by Cunard and I have to say that this has to be some other guests on board and mainly German guest. I am German too but some of my fellow German people behave badly. For example they could not stay in line or put too way much food on plate at Kings Court.  I felt so ashamed for them and I have met some very nice British and US people on board…and some nice people from Germany too.

My dream came true. It was a fantastic experience and it will not be the last cruise with Cunard. Perhaps we will do a world cruise when I retired in 2036 (😁) but as you know…You have to have a dream.

Greetings from Germany

Thorsten

• Like 10

I have just got back to Southampton from a slightly longer version of this cruise. I must say for me it was a great delight to be surrounded by 2,000 generally courteous Germans, who were not so interested in the current British political turmoil. Very restful, but I didn't eat in King's Court... 😀

• Like 1

Thorsten thank you for your report. I too have wanted for a long time to try a QM2 cruise and will next year. Your report has added to our anticipation.

With regards apologising for some of our fellow travellers from our own country, don't worry..maybe we are all more sensitive to our own countrymen. I have done the same thing with apologising as an Australian. Generally no problem but I remember one sailing on another cruise line it was rather embarrassing.😲

Julie

Edited by frantic36

Really enjoyed reading that report. We got on the QM2 in Hamburg as you disembarked. Just did the short trip to Southampton. 

Love the the ambience and feel that Cunard has. We shared a table for dinner with some experienced Royal Caribbean cruisers who were first time on a Cunard ship and they said Cunard wasn’t for them. We are all different though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, schattenfell71 said:

We are back from our first ever cruise with the QM2 from Hamburg to Zeebrugge/Brugge, St.Peter Port and then back to Hamburg.

I will try to write down some of my impressions and thoughts about it and please sorry for my horrible English.

First of all the ship is awesome. I have read a lot of her in the internet and watched a lot of YouTube films but nothing can beat the original.

Our cabin:

We had an inside cabin (5082) which was ok for us for 5 days. Our cabin steward was great and the cabin was very clean. But I have to say that we would book an outside cabin for a longer cruise. We separated the beds so the inside cabin was spacy enough for us but fresh air on longer trips could be the better option.

The food:

We have had the last sitting at the Britannia restaurant and the waiters were great. The quality of the food was very good in our opinion and each night there were enough to choose from.

A great plus was the option to buy a bottle of wine and split it over two days. So we ordered a bottle of wine, drink some glasses and the rest will be stored for you for the next day. A great service!

We did not choose any drinking package and ended up cheaper to pay them as they come.

The ship:

Awesome!  We loved the British atmosphere and I did not find any spot which was dirty or in a bad constitution. We did a celebration cruise for 15 years of Queen Mary 2 in Hamburg and to sail away with all the other boats around you and the people waving to you from the land was a dream.

The thing I was aware the most of became my absolute favor….the dressing code in the evening. It was so much fun to dress up and we always loved the atmosphere when everyone was dressed up too. Great!

The entertainment:

The Royal Court Theatre shows were different each night and something for everybody. We always have fun watching it and the performers really know to perform a great show.

Afternoon tea is a must but it was way too busy for us so we did it just once. We liked it but it was very crowded.

The shore excursion:

We have had only two days on shore and we did everything by ourselves. In Zeebrugge I have ordered a private shuttle in advance and he brought us safe and fast to the city of Brugge and back. Much faster than the Cunard option.

In St.Peter Port we did a walking tour of our own and this was ok too. I was a little bit afraid of the tender boats but I have to say that I really liked it.

By the way: There was a magical moment when we did the tender back from St.Peter Port to the QM2.

On that day there was another cruise ship stopping for St.Peter Port and they stopped right in front of the QM2 so we could not see her from land or from the tender boat bringing us back. But just in the moment when we were on the tender boat the other cruise ship leaves the harbor. Everyone on that ship was on deck to watch the QM2 and suddenly we could see the QM2 there alone.  Our tender boat was getting closer very slowly and it was so impressed seeing her in her full that I´ve cried. I always dreamed to be on that ship and this moment was too much for me.

The only bad thing I can remember is not a fault by Cunard and I have to say that this has to be some other guests on board and mainly German guest. I am German too but some of my fellow German people behave badly. For example they could not stay in line or put too way much food on plate at Kings Court.  I felt so ashamed for them and I have met some very nice British and US people on board…and some nice people from Germany too.

My dream came true. It was a fantastic experience and it will not be the last cruise with Cunard. Perhaps we will do a world cruise when I retired in 2036 (😁) but as you know…You have to have a dream.

Greetings from Germany

Thorsten

Torsten, thank you for your well written review. Like you I never fail to be impressed with the big ship whether it is as you arrive at the terminal and see her imposing shape behind the building or as you approach her in a tender returning from an excursion. I am happy you enjoyed it. I hope you will give her another longer chance to "show off her stuff".

Thanks for your excellent---and very positive---review. Like you, we are---or soon will be---QM2 first-timers (we board the ship on July 7 for a 21-night round-trip from New York), and like you we'll be doing late dining in the Britannia, so it's comforting to know that the overall experience is so good.

And by the way, your English is hardly "horrible." I wish more of my fellow-Americans could express themselves so well!

22 hours ago, schattenfell71 said:

Greetings from Germany

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over that issue.

It's an international problem that both fascinates and amuses  us all and used to be considerably worse before they withdrew trays from buffets. 

😁😁

OP thank you for your review.

We are currently aboard the QM2 headed for NY. We boarded in Hamburg. It is our 2nd QM2 TA.

Positives:

* The ship - outstanding in design, space, and power

* The staff - good supply of staff, all very capable and courteous

* The alternative dining in the Kings Court - Have done the Corriander and it was simply outstanding. We are signed up for 2 more. The $20 pp extra charge well worth it.

* Library - super

* Real promenade deck - no need to say more

* Viewing areas - the many outside viewing areas, like under the bridge, make QM2 unique

* Guests - Generally classy and well behaved 

*Officers - pleasant and courteous

* Fur children - Adore it at the kennel

Negatives:

* Kings Court food - average to cheap. Not impressed and well below any other ship experience we have had. The high tea sandwiches - feet after feet of cheap white  bread with minimal fillings, was gross. The food quality is basic. The entire food area is devoid of any garnishes - it is austere and not appealing. Will not eat there

* Colour of carpet - the beige/yellow carpet is already dirty with big stains - the colour is off putting, not rich and obviously is a maintenace issue

* Screaming/shouting children - thankfully less after leaving Southampton, but the noise and disruption from Hamburg to Southampton was inappropriate. For example, sitting in station F in the Kings Court, listening the the captains lifeboat presentation was a 3 year old child running around the tables yelling and carrying someone's cane, people were hit with the cane and the child repeatedly knocked my chair - the parents sat watching. Eventually I and others told the parents to contain their offspring. They left.
Seriously, I am not interested in being on Cunard to have a RCL experience.

Having a good time despite the negatives. Thank god for the QM2.

• Like 1

Danke, Mein Herr, for your review.  We sailed out of Hamburg in October.  That was a memorable experience.  Like you, we had all the little boats sailing around us.  It was some anniversary so we were treated to a fireworks display from the shore.  Then the captain slowed down since there was an aircraft landing at the Airbus factory.  He did not want an A320 slicing off our funnel.  We had 400 Germans on board.  They were charming and polite and fluent in English, just like yourself.  Some of them loved to sing, joined the choir with the National Symphony Orchestra and sang with gusto for "Last Night of the Cunard Proms" in the Royal Court Theatre.  I'm happy to know you enjoyed the QM2.

A wise priest once said to a group of folks- please remember - some people are divinely led to hate. I’ve been reading reviews of those on the same crossing of QM2 and it’s as if the reviewers were in alternate universes- then I remembered a cruise a friend of mine and I made on QE2 NY to NY via the Med. We had really nice and delightful table-mates ; there were three different passenger lists, E’bound, Med. and W’bound. On the W’bound  I was delayed getting to lunch and from across the Columbia Restaurant I saw a look on her face which said WE ARE IN TROUBLE. A couple at our new table were already in drama; he was looking out of the window with a sour expression, and she was proclaiming to all in earshot the the silver was filthy and the table poorly set. She would not be molified; and went on to denounce her husband for selling “the Florida house”. We were able to change tables and had a delightful crossing.   Naw’ts as queer as folk!

• Haha 1

Thank you very much for all of the feedback.

I m still in the "Cunard Blues" and feel  a little bit homesick not to be on board again.

Watching all these videos on youtube makes me feel to book again.

One question: I grabed an issue of "The Queens" magazine on board and it is very interesting to read. How can I receive or buy it for future issues?

- Thorsten

On 6/25/2019 at 3:59 PM, ABoatNerd said:

OP thank you for your review.

We are currently aboard the QM2 headed for NY. We boarded in Hamburg. It is our 2nd QM2 TA.

Negatives:

* Kings Court food - average to cheap. Not impressed and well below any other ship experience we have had. The high tea sandwiches - feet after feet of cheap white  bread with minimal fillings, was gross. The food quality is basic. The entire food area is devoid of any garnishes - it is austere and not appealing. Will not eat there

* Colour of carpet - the beige/yellow carpet is already dirty with big stains - the colour is off putting, not rich and obviously is a maintenace issue

* Screaming/shouting children - thankfully less after leaving Southampton, but the noise and disruption from Hamburg to Southampton was inappropriate. For example, sitting in station F in the Kings Court, listening the the captains lifeboat presentation was a 3 year old child running around the tables yelling and carrying someone's cane, people were hit with the cane and the child repeatedly knocked my chair - the parents sat watching. Eventually I and others told the parents to contain their offspring. They left.
Seriously, I am not interested in being on Cunard to have a RCL experience.

Having a good time despite the negatives. Thank god for the QM2.

Have to say I avoid the buffet area on all ships and take my meals in the restaurant. Breakfast, Lunch, (maybe Afternoon tea!), and Dinner is more than I need for a daily intake and the buffet area becomes soley an access route to the restaurant if necessary.