Relaxed African American Hair

Dgo1

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with relaxed African American hair while on a cruise? My hair is down my back and to my bra strap. I generally wear it down, straight or curled from a roller set or flat iron. I don’t like braids and would like some option that allows me to participate in water activities with more ease. It currently takes about 6 hours to wash and dry my relaxed hair. I don’t blow dry it because it is so damaging to my ends. I would just like to look as much like myself as possible without damaging my hair, putting it through too much unnecessary heat processing, or being stuck in my room working on it for multiple hours daily. Please help!

I actually went on a cruise last year and I managed to only get my hair wet on two of the seven days but the first day was an accident. There’s always someone splashing or some piece of the activity that exposes you to getting wet. Trying to not get my hair wet every day really limited the activities I could participate in and I had to go to dinner with my hair still wet because there was not enough time to dry it. I’m open to getting some kind of a wig or sew-in weave but I’ve heard it can be really expensive if you want it to look natural. I’m just not used to this at all. I’ve always done my own hair but I don’t have a good solution. I just want to look like myself but I don’t know that there’s an option for me out there. 

8 hours ago, Dgo1 said:

I can't let it dry naturally because it won't dry straight. It will be kinky and coarse.

Would a strong gel in you hair allow it to dry curly or wavy?  It might not be your favorite way to wear your hair, but if were OK, then it might give you some hair freedom.

Have you considered getting a crochet style (locs, twists, etc)? You can cornrow your hair underneath and then your stylist can loop in the hair. That way you can swim to your heart's content...I let mine air dry, and make sure to keep my scalp well-moisturized. I started out with a relaxer doing crochet styles, and eventually went natural. There are lots of fun styles, and you can change the hair color, too :)  Check out some ideas here.

Edited by travelbychrystal
spelling
  • Like 1

I know you say you dont like them, but I think braids are your best bet.  It's the best way to still look good after getting wet without wasting hours of precious vacation time doing your hair again.   As the previous poster said maybe crochet style will make it better for you since they can be styled many different ways.

• Like 1

You’re going to have to make some type of compromise for the length of the cruise. Possibilities: don’t get your hair wet. You can pin your hair up and make sure you don’t put your head under water. Wear a swim cap for extra security. Blow dry while you’re on the cruise. Make sure you bring your own blow dryer and your own shampoo and conditioner and products. You might be able to find a blow dryer and products that won’t be too damaging for one or two uses. Find a hairdresser who can do some type of braided style that will be good for the length of the cruise- no micro braids or anything too tight. You could try some type of twist out followed by a flat iron, but it will probably take too long to dry.