Skagway - Train Both Ways or Train Bus Combo?

DaBook

54 minutes ago, DaBook said:

What are some Pros & Cons of taking White Pass & Yukon Train Both Ways -  or Bus one way and train other?

The bus will have a different view of the Yukon than the train and the bus will stop several times for scenic photos.  The train will have a rock wall just a few feet from the train for a good portion of the ride.  Sit on the left side going into the Yukon and on the right side coming back to Skagway to avoid the rock wall view.

The bus will have scenic views on both sides better on the right side going into the Yukon and left side coming back to Skagway.

image.png.737a7ccb0beb1e1e0cfc772f251825b6.png

• Like 1

Ditto on the combo. We took the van up with Dyea Dave. Awesome! If I were a betting man, I would say that Rose (our driver and tour guide on the van) is simply unbeatable. She went way beyond what most would do to make our day exceptional. The photo ops and stops were unbeatable. I should get to that part of my trip report in a day or so  --  Got us back to Fraser to snag the train which she had stopped in Skagway so we could pick up out tickets. Then made sure we all got in the train car. Train tickets were paid for separately.

201905270928_mountain-view-out-of-Skagway.jpg

Edited by masterdrago

We cruised with friends. 

They took the train both ways to Denali. 

We did the train / coach combo. 

We we had a great time. The guide made the trip. 

Our friends were not happy. People dominated the glass topped carriage. 

The train staff, college kids would not tell people to leave. 

They were very frustrated trying to get a seat up there. 

Then the train rain was slower than the coach. 

They arrived about  2 hours after us at the ship. 

They em would never do this again. 

23 hours ago, DaBook said:

What are some Pros & Cons of taking White Pass & Yukon Train Both Ways -  or Bus one way and train other?

There are also options that go into the Yukon/BC on a bus which add a lot of views you won't see just going down the hill on a bus like Emerald Lake. It depends on how much time you have in port.

20190520_135448.thumb.jpg.446f5756cc202a044cbb26d30d7af57d.jpg

I agree - bus one way, White Pass train the other in Skagway. However, check out Chilkoot Charter as a private provider.. they use a 24 passenger bus. When on the train you are on same train that those booking ship tour are. 

12 hours ago, UPGrandma said:

I agree - bus one way, White Pass train the other in Skagway. However, check out Chilkoot Charter as a private provider.. they use a 24 passenger bus. When on the train you are on same train that those booking ship tour are. 

It’s booked this tour for my trip.   The reviews are amazing.  Almost 700 reviews and nothing but 4-5 stars.   

Im doing the bus up and train back. The shorter 4 hr trip  

3 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

It’s booked this tour for my trip.   The reviews are amazing.  Almost 700 reviews and nothing but 4-5 stars.   

Im doing the bus up and train back. The shorter 4 hr trip  

You can see the road from parts of the train and they will stop when you see animals when on the bus portion. If you can, sit on right side of train car when facing engine - but  also take advantage of the platforms out side front and back of car for more photo ops.