As seen on the Cruise Air forum - Citi cutting some Travel Insurance

klfrodo

Here are excerpts from klfrodo's link above. If you were using one of the Citibank cards for insurance benefits, you might want to reevaluate:

Citi Gutting Most Travel Protections and Other Card Benefits Across All Premium Products

Citibank is ending most of the benefits that are generally purchased through payment networks in an effort to cut costs. Cardmembers are being given three months’ notice that they’ll lose trip delay coverage, rental car coverage, and other benefits that may come with their Citi cards. For instance,

• Citi Prestige, Premier, and the Citi Executve card all lose rental car insurance; trip cancellation and interruption; travel accident insurance; trip delay; baggage delay; lost baggage; price rewind; and 90 day return protection.
  • Citi Prestige and Citi Executive lose Medical Evacuation coverage and Missed Ticket Protection. Prestige also loses roadside assistance dispatch service and travel and emergency assistance.

Here is the link to the other thread. (it currently has only one post)

Edited by Jersey42

It will be interesting to see how Chase handles this news.  Their Sapphire cards offer some decent insurance benefits.  Will they try to pick off lots of those Citi customers or will Chase follow suit and start cutting benefits.

Hank 

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

It will be interesting to see how Chase handles this news.  Their Sapphire cards offer some decent insurance benefits.  Will they try to pick off lots of those Citi customers or will Chase follow suit and start cutting benefits.

My first thought too.

Chase Sapphire  Reserve's 2 benefits of 

- primary rental car insurance

- 1:1 miles to points transfer to Southwest airlines

make the significant annual fee still very worth it for me

(fee = $450 annually, but I view it as a $150 annual fee due to a $300 annual travel credit which of course I always use.)

I believe it's the only credit card with those 2 features.  If anyone knows of another I'd love to hear about it.

Edited by SempreMare

4 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Chase Sapphire  Reserve's 2 benefits of 

- primary rental car insurance

- 1:1 miles to points transfer to Southwest airlines

. . .

I believe it's the only credit card with those 2 features.  If anyone knows of another I'd love to hear about it.

Chase Sapphire Preferred also offers these benefits for a $95/year fee with the additional stipulation that "expensive and exotic cars" are excluded from the rental car insurance.  Sapphire Reserve offers additional benefits over Preferred for a slightly larger net annual fee. Reserve also charges $75 for an additional user.

Here is one article that tries to summarize the differences:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase-sapphire-preferred-vs-chase-sapphire-reserve/

My biggest concerns with any of these cards are:

• negative online feedback on the claims process  (But you do hear the same thing about lots of insurance providers, although the Citibank cards seemed to have much better reviews on claims vs Chase) 
  • exclusion of pre-existing conditions (But they do have a 60 day look back period)