MSC Meraviglia

cruisefoodie1949

We are debating a cruise on the Meraviglia out of Miami in February 2020.

Does anyone have feedback about the ship?

How was the buffet food?

We were on the Seaside and the 3 seatings for dining always felt rushed. Also, what is the quality of the food in the regular diningrooms?

Our Seaside balcony cabin did not have adequate storage space for clothing. Has that improved with the Meraviglia?

Thanks.

We are cruising out of a Miami on the Meraviglia in November, will follow thread for answers to your questions. We have been on the Divina and Seaside, enjoyed both. Got an absolutely great price on the Armonia in September, just booked two weeks ago, excited to enjoy one of MSCs smaller ships. 

Nobody knows, yet, what the food onboard will be like 'til Meraviglia starts her season in the US.  She's doing a couple of itineraries from New York to Canada from Oct 8th before she heads to Miami.  We're embarking on Oct 18th for one of them, before sailing down to Miami, via the Caribbean.  Keep an eye out for reports from that time on which may give you more of an idea of what to expect.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sidari said:

Bea and Nikki ... Be good to hear about the food though it may well be different on the Xmas cruise.

I'd say it'll be more similar than different, though, Dave, apart from Christmas lunch and dinner.

As we're in YC, I'll probably only have the YC menus.  For the Canada route, I may try and get a few photos of MDR menus, too.  I won't bother with the repo leg to Miami, seeing as Nikki will post those.  It'll be interesting to see if they differ much from when the ship starts sailing from Miami.

Just now, sidari said:

I wonder if they will have the new menus in place on your sailing.

It's a bit of a strange one in that Mera is doing 2 sailings to Canada immediately after a repo from Europe before repo-ing to Miami.  The ship will more than likely be stocked in New York for those 3 sailings out of that port.  Whether that will influence what will be offered, menu-wise, will be interesting to see.

I wonder if there'll be Maine lobster on, seeing as we'll be visiting a couple of ports in that state.  😃  (As I don't eat lobster, it'll be all the same to me).

• Like 1

we'll be sailing on her in January in Yacht Club (still a great deal). Love to see the new menus and wonder who the maitre'd and hostess will be (Giusseppe, David, Julia ?). And not to forget old servers Arthur and Drago!

7 hours ago, booklady26 said:

we'll be sailing on her in January in Yacht Club (still a great deal). Love to see the new menus and wonder who the maitre'd and hostess will be (Giusseppe, David, Julia ?). And not to forget old servers Arthur and Drago!

It's unlikely that you'll come across Arthur - he was promoted to head waiter (there's no position for that rank in the YC dining room so he won't be assigned there ... he may well be in one of the MDRs, though, if he's on Mera at all).

It'll be interesting to see if MSC does use regular crew from US sailings for this ship.  We know 5 sommeliers, so hoping at least one of them will be onboard.  I'm also hoping that my favourite YC (asst) m'D, Luigi, will be present.  I'll report back on who it is from our sailing.

As an aside, when we had dinner with the 2 crew members on the Divina they said that when people were complaining about no alcohol being available in port in New York, beer and wine was available. 

24 minutes ago, nikkiw60 said:

As an aside, when we had dinner with the 2 crew members on the Divina they said that when people were complaining about no alcohol being available in port in New York, beer and wine was available. 

That's interesting, Nikki.  I didn't know that alcohol may not be available when in the NY port.  We'll be there both on embarkation day of the 18th and for the 28th.  As long as there's beer and wine (keep the champagne flowing, so!  We'll have the Prem+ package so it'll be Moet or Veuve Cliquot) I think we'll manage.  What do you think, Mark? ( @thecruisers6 )

• Like 1

I’ve read on one of the roll calls something along the lines of a permit is needed to load alcohol and also to consume it onboard. 

Hopefully a New Yorker can advise us. 

I really hope a cold glass of something fizzy is available at embarkation 🥂 Bea. 

Was  it 5 we had before midday on  Divina @gtaylor I can’t quite remember 🤪 Good job we didn’t have the Carnival detox package 15 drink limit in 24 hours on that cruise! 

On 6/27/2019 at 11:14 AM, cruisefoodie1949 said:

We are debating a cruise on the Meraviglia out of Miami in February 2020.

Does anyone have feedback about the ship?

How was the buffet food?

We were on the Seaside and the 3 seatings for dining always felt rushed. Also, what is the quality of the food in the regular diningrooms?

Our Seaside balcony cabin did not have adequate storage space for clothing. Has that improved with the Meraviglia?

Thanks.

I agree with your comment about the lack of storage on the Seaside. I've viewed Meraviglia balcony pictures, and it looks like the same storage.  

4 hours ago, thecruisers6 said:

I’ve read on one of the roll calls something along the lines of a permit is needed to load alcohol and also to consume it onboard. 

Hopefully a New Yorker can advise us. 

I really hope a cold glass of something fizzy is available at embarkation 🥂 Bea. 

Was  it 5 we had before midday on  Divina @gtaylor I can’t quite remember 🤪 Good job we didn’t have the Carnival detox package 15 drink limit in 24 hours on that cruise! 

The 'problem' on the Divina was the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet at 10:30 with the Martinis. :classic_biggrin:

We overnighted the Divina in NYC and the bars were open, but no hard spirits were available.

For some strange reason many in the Topsail were ordering just Spicy Bloody Mary mix or Tonic Water with lime. Don't know if it had anything to do with the minibar in the cabins.

gary

p.s. Rumor had it that the hard liquor ban was because MSC had not paid for a liquor license for the ship.

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2019 at 10:49 AM, cellfree said:

And we are shortly after on November 10. Last cruise on Divina we did Drinks On Us and it was adequate for us. This time MSC calls it All In. Also will experience their Private Island. 

We are also on Nov 10. Only experience with MSC was Europe. Food the greatest disappointment. Hoping for better this time.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:48 AM, Beamafar said:

Nobody knows, yet, what the food onboard will be like 'til Meraviglia starts her season in the US.  She's doing a couple of itineraries from New York to Canada from Oct 8th before she heads to Miami.  We're embarking on Oct 18th for one of them, before sailing down to Miami, via the Caribbean.  Keep an eye out for reports from that time on which may give you more of an idea of what to expect.

We'll be on the same sailing as you. It will be our first MSC Cruise...

As far as I know, NYC has Alcoholic Beverage Control law that bans unlimited drink offerings. NCL doesn't seem to care and allow drinks on embarkation but would charge you sales tax. Carnival doesn't allow unlimited drink package on the first day while in NYC.