CPAP

subiero

Going on my first NCL cruise in February. (Not new to cruising, just new to NCL). I use a CPAP and was wondering about electric outlets location availability in balcony rooms and would the ship (Gem) provide distilled water ,if I ask, that I need for the machine? Cruised back in 2015 on RCCL and they did supply distilled water (back then) and extension for power. Thanks!

Rest easy - CPAP machines are permitted without exception - You can bring your own distilled water pack it in

with the machine and a all too necessary extension cord - target it for 15-20 feet - outlets are not commonly found

at or near the bed - the cord should extend from across the cabin - need help ask your cabin attendant.

Might consider bringing some carpet tape to tack the cord down to prevent tripping.

Distilled water should be available on board if you did not bring your own - there may be a service charge for it.

In an emergency tap water can be used for a short cruise say 7 day period.

For the comfort of both you and your cruise partner suggest that the bed be split if possible.

• Like 1

Thanks - my cruise is 11 days. That is a lot of water to lug around until I get in the room. Will make note about ext. cord and carpet tape - good ideas. I only find gallon bottles in local stores - that is what I use at home.  

1 hour ago, subiero said:

Going on my first NCL cruise in February. (Not new to cruising, just new to NCL). I use a CPAP and was wondering about electric outlets location availability in balcony rooms and would the ship (Gem) provide distilled water ,if I ask, that I need for the machine? Cruised back in 2015 on RCCL and they did supply distilled water (back then) and extension for power. Thanks!

DH uses a CPAP.

We just completed a 7 day New England/Canada Dawn cruise.

I alerted NCL's Special Needs Department ahead of time but still brought my own extension cord... (I'd read that the one US outlet was far from the bed.

True!

Apparently Dawn was originally designed for non-US passengers.

Distilled water gallon bottle was already in cabin when we arrived!

Room steward gave us a better heavier duty extension cord than the one I packed!

This was on NCL Dawn--could vary, but we were happy with service provided by Special Needs & Room Steward!

Forgot to mention we were in a mini suite cabin. Other cabin configurations might vary.

Edited by alreadypacked
forgot to mention cabin category
  • Like 1

You should alert the Special Needs department in advance.  They will arrange for distilled water if your machine needs that.  Be aware in bringing an extension cord that it must be just a plain cord; you cannot bring on one with surge protection.  The latter will be seized at embarkation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

For the comfort of both you and your cruise partner suggest that the bed be split if possible.

Curious about this statement.  My wife started to use a CPAP a year and half ago.  Since then we have been on 4 cruises and haven't felt the need to have the bed split.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gatour said:

Curious about this statement.  My wife started to use a CPAP a year and half ago.  Since then we have been on 4 cruises and haven't felt the need to have the bed split.

My BIL and sister have found this to be helpful especially in placing the machine in a convenient position accessible

with the extension cord - YMMV - comment offered in case of a difficult arrangement is required to set up the CPAP.

• Like 1

My husband uses a CPAP, we sailed on the Jade this past March, in an OV picture window cabin on deck 8. I contacted both the Special Needs department and my PCC a few weeks prior to embark regarding the need for distilled water (they will not allow you to bring your own on board), a gallon jug was waiting in our cabin when we arrived. No extra charge, NCL provides it. Bed configuration is really a personal preference thing. We did not have our bed split and everything was very comfortable. There are night stands on either side of the bed, so no matter how one decides to have their beds set up there is a night stand for both of you. Do bring an extension cord, 12 to 15 ft long as there are not power outlets next to the head of the bed. Only USB ports. 

Have a wonderful cruise!   🙂 

• Like 1

Thanks all for the helpful replies. Glad to hear NCL will provide water upon request. I will definitely contact Special Needs Dept. Going with sister, so separate beds will be used anyway. 240 days to go!  

I bring my own cord just to be sure.  Since the outlet is always on the other side of the room I unplug it in the morning and just coil it up and stash out of the way.  It usually will lay flat and has never been a trip hazard in the middle of the night.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nslatin said:

I bring my own cord just to be sure.  Since the outlet is always on the other side of the room I unplug it in the morning and just coil it up and stash out of the way.  It usually will lay flat and has never been a trip hazard in the middle of the night.

The "coiling it up" hint is good.  I usually do that, and the one day I didn't, the steward stepped on the plug end (I had it unplugged and against wall)   and bent it way out of shape !!!!  Luckily, I managed to straighten it out to make it usable !!!  

Edited by jaja

20 hours ago, subiero said:

Contact the Access desks and request distilled water. Our experience is that this does absolutely nothing, but give it a try. Your room steward can arrange for a gallon of water when you board. 

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

Carry a light weight 12’ extension cord. No surge suppression allowed. Unlike RCCL, NCL wants you to bring your own. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Contact the Access desks and request distilled water. Our experience is that this does absolutely nothing, but give it a try. Your room steward can arrange for a gallon of water when you board. 

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

Carry a light weight 12’ extension cord. No surge suppression allowed. Unlike RCCL, NCL wants you to bring your own. 

Thanks. I did find that page earlier today and have filled out their form. Thanks!

Thanks you all very much for the advice. I did contact Special Needs Dept. and they will deliver water to my room for the duration of the cruise! They did say I should bring my own extension cord at least 6 foot. I will bring a longer one just in case. 

Edited by subiero

13 minutes ago, subiero said:

Thanks you all very much for the advice. I did contact Special Needs Dept. and they will deliver water to my room for the duration of the cruise! They did say I should bring my own extension cord at least 6 foot. I will bring a longer one just in case. 

Have a wonderful cruise. It will be great to get out of the cold to the southern caribbean! You're from the area, so you know the weather can be problematic that time of year and that you should have a contingency plan to stay overnight near the port in case of bad weather. 

BTW: we carry a 12' and 6' cord, just in case. NCL seem to find ways of putting outlets as far away from the bed as possible. 

44 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Have a wonderful cruise. It will be great to get out of the cold to the southern caribbean! You're from the area, so you know the weather can be problematic that time of year and that you should have a contingency plan to stay overnight near the port in case of bad weather. 

BTW: we carry a 12' and 6' cord, just in case. NCL seem to find ways of putting outlets as far away from the bed as possible. 

Thanks BirdTravels.  We are travelling with a large group by bus, so if weather is bad we won't leave our home base until confirmation of embarkation time. Thanks for heads up.