Getaway Self-Service Laundry

We are looking forward to sailing on the Getaway on October 20 out of Copenhagen.  This is a 19 day cruise and it follows our spending 3 days in Copenhagen.  We are wondering if there is a self-service laundry on the ship that is convenient to use.  Our cabin is on deck 9.

I realize there is a full-service laundry on the ship but we would prefer to do it ourselves.  Thanks for the information.

Edited by EnjoyingCruising
typo

You will have 2 "Fill the Laundry Bag" specials for $20 each.  You can cram a lot of stuff into the bag.  For more secure cramming you can ask the steward for a pillow case, put the pillowcase in the paper bag and cram it full.  Laundry has been pretty good.  I did give them my compression socks to launder and they did shrink, but the jeans, tops and blouses came back perfect.

Self serve laundry would be one thing I’d be willing to let NCL “nickel and dime” me on. Made good use of facilities on DCL and Princess.

—Lets me pack light.

—Keeps my clothes from getting abused in the more industrial machines.

—Husband and I tag team it, so it’s really hardly any effort at all. 

Sometimes I bring along a dry sack and use it as a makeshift hand-wash bag. But what I’ve learned from this is that I really don’t like hand-washing clothes. 

NCL had self-service laundry on the Jewel-class ships when they first premiered; usage was free, you paid for the soap at Reception Desk.  We used the one(s) aboard the Gem extensively when we sailed on her.  They "disappeared" around 2012 or so.  I still had Klaus Lugmaier's email (he was the first hotel manager during Gem's initial season when we sailed on her in '07) so I emailed him & asked.  He wrote me a VERY nice response basically saying they weren't being used to the degree that NCL had hoped so NCL dropped them.  This was also, if I recall, around the time Frank DelRio took the helm at NCL so you can draw your own conclusions based on that...

If you are Platinum you're entitled to one free bag of laundry per Platinum pax every 7 days.  DW & I each did two freebie bags during our 14 day Venice & Icelandic cruises.

If you are Platinum you're entitled to one free bag of laundry per Platinum pax every 7 days.  

I don't know that I have ever seen this written in this exact form.   The one "perk card" you get on the first day tells you you are entitled to one bag.  I am sure there is no mention of "per person" or "per seven days".

We just fill a bag write one of our names on the slip and the bag and print large "Platinum Plus".  Then use the other name for the second bag later.   If we cruise more than 14 days we will do a third and have never had a problem.

Carnival has self- service laundry machines and I REALLY miss these on NCL.  I don't trust the "send your laundry away" services. It has nothing to do with the price. I like stuff washed in cold and some things don't go in the dryer.

But we are going on a 9 day cruise and no way can we pack enough clothes to not have to do laundry. (Family of five.) So thinking about just sending out socks and underwear and maybe a couple of basics that can be washed and dried hot. 

On 6/30/2019 at 5:29 PM, tomk3212 said:

NCL had self-service laundry on the Jewel-class ships when they first premiered; usage was free, you paid for the soap at Reception Desk.  We used the one(s) aboard the Gem extensively when we sailed on her.  They "disappeared" around 2012 or so.  I still had Klaus Lugmaier's email (he was the first hotel manager during Gem's initial season when we sailed on her in '07) so I emailed him & asked.  He wrote me a VERY nice response basically saying they weren't being used to the degree that NCL had hoped so NCL dropped them.  This was also, if I recall, around the time Frank DelRio took the helm at NCL so you can draw your own conclusions based on that...

If you are Platinum you're entitled to one free bag of laundry per Platinum pax every 7 days.  DW & I each did two freebie bags during our 14 day Venice & Icelandic cruises.

Mr. Del Rio "took the helm" of Norwegian in January 2015.