Harmony Bedside plug and heating pad

Heating pads would not be allowed and most likely confiscated at check in. 

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

Hoverboards

Illegal Drugs

Martial Arts, Self Defense, and Sports Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.

HAM Radios

Baby Monitors

Electrical Extension Cords

Edited by Ourusualbeach

The general response is heating pads are prohibited however....

Yes a heating pad can be brought on with permission from special needs. I think they asked if it had an automatic off switch. After my mom's surgery she travels with a heating pad. The extension cord was not waiting in the cabin and the cabin steward was able to obtain one.

Edited by Tee & Chilli

1 minute ago, Tee & Chilli said:

The general response is heating pads are prohibited however....

Yes a heating pad can be brought on with permission from special needs. After my mom's surgery she travels with a heating pad. The extension cord was not waiting in the cabin and the cabin steward was able to obtain one.

Thank you Tee & Chilli. I have never had to make special needs request from a cruise line. I will give them a call to see what is required. Do you know how quickly they respond as we are less than 30 days before sailing and I need to factor in turnaround time to secure information from the Doctor.

5 minutes ago, teeredi2cruise said:

If heating pads are prohibited, do they then provide “new unused “ units through the special needs department with a Doctor note by chance? 

The ship may provide one but don't know if it would be new.

1 minute ago, teeredi2cruise said:

Thank you Tee & Chilli. I have never had to make special needs request from a cruise line. I will give them a call to see what is required. Do you know how quickly they respond as we are less than 30 days before sailing and I need to factor in turnaround time to secure information from the Doctor.

Doubtful that they require a Drs note.  They tend to take people’s word.

1 minute ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Calling might be faster than faxing/emailing the form. Best regards

I agree. It never occurred to me that this may require special needs. The 30 day form requirement does not leave room for needs to come up after that time frame, so I will probably call.

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The ship may provide one but don't know if it would be new.

Hope it is a new unit. Kind of grosses me out knowing I have to put it so intimately on my body, but not having one is not an option for me so I guess the lesser of two evils in this case.

1 minute ago, teeredi2cruise said:

Hope it is a new unit. Kind of grosses me out knowing I have to put it so intimately on my body, but not having one is not an option for me so I guess the lesser of two evils in this case.

I doubt that they would buy new units for each and every cruise so that every person requesting one received a new unit.

43 minutes ago, teeredi2cruise said:

Won't be a new unit.  Was not for my wife when she needed one.

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

My wife gets cold all the time at night.

Do you think they will let me bring my portable heater?

Or do I need to sneak it on?

hhhh.jpg

I wish you and you family health and prosperity and hope that you never have the need for any type of accommodations no matter how big or small. Safe travels!

• Like 1

UPDATE: 

Thank you to all that gave me guidance and advised me where to call for the request.

The department Advocate told me that I can bring my own unit as long as it is equipped with an Auto Shut Off language on the unit or the box that the unit comes in. When I asked how to transport this to not have it confiscated they said this should not happen as long as the Auto Shut Off language is present and I can pack in carry on or checked luggage. I will probably put in my carry on. They also said they would provide an extension cord if needed.

I asked to have this in writing and they sent me an email confirming our conversation (see below). As policies can change, I will probably secure permission for each sailing in order to make sure that the information is up to date. YMMV, and I will take the email exchange in case I have any issues. I hope that this helps others who may have a similar need. 

I also asked if they need a form and was advised no.

Thank you all again for you help and Happy Sailing!!!!

Good Day,

As we discussed in our phone conversation today you are allowed to bring heating pads onboard that have an automatic shut off switch, this must be indicated either on the heating pad or on the box that the heating pad come is in.

Kind Regards,

I redacted the Name for privacy of email agent- Access Advocate

Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, and Azamara Club Cruises
Phone: 866-592-7225 

Edited by teeredi2cruise

On 6/30/2019 at 7:39 AM, teeredi2cruise said:

If I call Special Needs I get an immediate response followed by an email in a day or so.