San Francisco vs Seattle

teacherman

We are looking to take a summer cruise next year and it seems to be between Bermuda and Alaska.  We have visited both previously, so are thinking to do Alaska, either a 10 day on Princess from SF, or a 7 day from Seattle on Holland.  We have previously done both lines and visited both departure cities, but not cruised from them.  Airfare, for us, will probably be cheaper to SF, but it appears hotels may be more in SF (hard to believe).  Anyway, for those of you that have cruised from both of these cities, do you see one being the better choice as far as a cruise embarkation?

If we do SF, we will probably stay one night pre-cruise.  If Seattle, maybe 2 nights pre-cruise.  Any advice/information is welcome.   Thank you.

We have done both, but live near SF, so not a fair comparison. 

Downtown in both is going to expensive. Near the airport is cheaper for both. But Seattle does seem to be more expensive. 

Sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge is a special  treat, but the weather then, and as you sail up the coast is not always a great thing.

• Like 1

Both departure cities will involve cruises that travel on open ocean for quite some distance, and the Pacific ain't the Caribbean.  Both will require round-trip cruises that only go as far as Southeast Alaska before turning around.  

I would look at round-trips from Vancouver BC before I'd look at either Seattle or SF, or one-way cruises from/to Vancouver to/from Seward or Whittier in Southcentral Alaska.  The Vancouver boats travel to the east of Vancouver Island, on sheltered "Inside Passage" waters, while those from Seattle (and SF) travel to the west of the island on open ocean - rougher and not much scenery.

If you want to fly into Seattle to save money on airfare, you can drive, take a bus, or take a train to Vancouver, but do the math first; sometimes the Seattle < > Vancouver costs can outweigh the cost of just flying to Vancouver in the first place.  Vancouver is also a spectacular city, with many attractions in the city and the surrounding region.

I will  make the choice, but I prefer an informed choice, so I don't become one of the cruise reviewers who say "if I would have known this, I would have taken a different cruise".   Thank you to those who took the time to offer information.

Unless you really enjoy extra sea days, I'd say SF is the worst option; Seattle next-best; and since others already suggested Secret Option 3 I'd have to concur that Vancouver is your best bet (and take all the extra time you would have spent on the 10 day SF cruise as a Pre- or Post-Cruise stay!!!)

We've sailed out of all three, and as you are learning, each has advantages/disadvantages. For San Francisco, there's nothing more exciting than cruising under the Golden Gate Bridge! We even wake up before dawn to watch the ship go under The Bridge when returning to San Francisco. You do have more time at sea and in the open ocean from San Francisco.

Seattle has less time in the open ocean than San Francisco, but there's no incredible bridge to sail under 😞

Vancouver has the Lion's Gate Bridge. Not as iconic as the Golden Gate, but fun to sail under none the less! In Vancouver you have the least days in the open ocean.

The first time we went to Alaska, we flew into Victoria, stayed a few days, took the ferry to Vancouver, sailed out of Vancouver to Seward, stayed over night in Anchorage, took the train to Denali, then up to Fairbanks, and then home. The trip took two weeks and was incredible.  We were hooked and have been back many times - land only, cruise only, and combo. We've sailed to Alaska from Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Vancouver. We've loved every one of the trips for different reasons. I don't think there is a wrong way to visit Alaska! Bottom line is you really can't go wrong. That said, I remember the first time we went I was overwhelmed with all of the options. I finally made a spreadsheet with the ports for the various cruises and times in port to help figure out my priorities.

I just reread your question; if you are talking only about embarkation, hands down, San Francisco is my favorite. I LOVE sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge...