Turtle tours

Does anyone know if we can get a turtle cruise from Airlie beach. I looked princess has a tour for $119. Then I saw another company Leezair

fo r $54 Canadian . I know in other ports I could just walk off the pier and find a tour.  . Is it a far walk or are there turtle tours up close. We I see  turtles from the beach. Thank you.

Airlie Beach is a tender port and they drop you off by the marina.

I have sailed in once and there were no operators at the drop off, but it was only a few minutes walk into the Main Street where they have their shops.

Mostly the turtles will be in the water. The egg laying season is roughly November to February, but they usually come out of the water towards dusk (safety).

You could see if there is a Princess cruise to New Guinea that takes in the Conflict Islands, Holland America also includes it in their New Guinea itinerary.  See this link. https://www.cici.net.au/

This atoll has, along with its turtle research facility, has the best snorkeling I've ever seen.

28 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Try TripAdvisor's 'Things to do' section for Airlie beach and you will likely find numerous tours.

The difficulty with booking independent tours in Airlie Beach is the time the tours start. For instance, check-in for the independent tour to the reef is at 7.30am - far too early for people arriving on a cruise ship then taking a tender to reach the Airlie Beach marina. Then there is the difficulty of arriving back before the last tender.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The difficulty with booking independent tours in Airlie Beach is the time the tours start. For instance, check-in for the independent tour to the reef is at 7.30am - far too early for people arriving on a cruise ship then taking a tender to reach the Airlie Beach marina. Then there is the difficulty of arriving back before the last tender.

They are wanting a turtle tour though, if the ship isn't offering one, then private tour is the only option. BTW, you are unlikely to see turtles out at the outer reef.

There are 2 marinas in Airlie Beach that different cruise lines use. Check which one your ship goes to if arranging a private tour. There is Coral Sea marina formerly called Abell Point marina and the other is at Port of Airlie. They are maybe 2kms apart.

In February when in Airlie Beach on RC, this tour was offered. It was on a pontoon type vessel and I believe with very limited seating.

But might give you an idea as to what to expect.

20190702_224350.jpg

1 hour ago, Disneymom06 said:

Thanks

how far are we from “the boat hub, next to the jet skis.

this tour looks great.

we are a tender ,so I am not  sure how far it is.

The tenders will come into the marina, I am not exactly sure how far away it would be, but I would not think it is more than a 150 metres.

I have a vague recollection that ship tour boats pick up from ship to save time instead of tenders. That would save a lot of time particularly for longer tender transfers like Airlie Beach.

9 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I have a vague recollection that ship tour boats pick up from ship to save time instead of tenders. That would save a lot of time particularly for longer tender transfers like Airlie Beach.

I am not sure if it is the case, but it seems likely, they certainly do that for the GBR outer reef tours.

9 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Only for tours to the Reef.