Question about Scooters and the Grandeur of the Seas

We have a 9-night cruise booked on the Grandeur for October.  At the time, we were not using scooters when we cruised (booked in October of 2018).  We now cruise with two scooters due to mobility issues.  

We have an inside cabin and I've called to see if there are any fully accessible cabins available for our sailing, there are not.

I know when we sailed the Majesty last year, we did see scooters parked in the hallways (we are right near the elevator lobby and that is where we would park, if possible).  I know that what RCCL (and all cruiselines) tell passengers is that you need the charge the scooter in your cabin.  I also know that once you are on board, things can be slightly more relaxed.

For example, we recently sailed Celebrity and they came and took the scooters when requested and charged them for us, bringing them back the early the next morning.

Has anyone had any experience on RCCL (the Grandeur specifically), of that kind of service being offered?  If they are going to be hard and fast on the no scooters in the hall or elevator lobby, I need to look in to changing this itinerary for something with a handicapped accessible cabin.

Thanks!

Our dnl takes her mom on the Grandeur, and they came and got her scooter at night, charged it and returned in the morning.

I think she called them each night when they returned to the cabin. Ask your room attendant or at guest services. She said it worked out great.

49 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

Our dnl takes her mom on the Grandeur, and they came and got her scooter at night, charged it and returned in the morning.

I think she called them each night when they returned to the cabin. Ask your room attendant or at guest services. She said it worked out great.

Dont think thats a norm, think was an exception. OP having 2 scooters would recommend if possible they take a sailing where they can get a accessible room. Would hate them having 2 scooters have them get on board and not be able get service you received. Last couple Cruises I was on they had passengers put scooter in room even during day or parked at quite a distance as other passengers with Walkers could not get by them in Hall. Have traveled with Family needing assistance, glad there is more accessible cabins then in past. Wish all cabins could fit a scooter but dont think that will ever happen

Edited by ONECRUISER

2 hours ago, cruisinagain1960 said:

Thank you so much!!  The person I spoke with at RCCL was less than helpful on this so I wanted to get feedback from someone who had sailed on that particular ship!!

I would definitely call Royal's special needs dept. to verify. As Onecruiser said it might not be the norm.  All this took place on our November cruise.  When hubby and I were on in Feb. they were still getting scooters and charging for cruisers.  Things can always change with Royal.

I see you are going in Oct.  My DNL and her mom will be on Oct. 17, the 9 night sailing.

• Like 1

I highly recommend not booking a handicapped-accessible cabin simply because you require parking for two scooters due to mobility issues.  It would be more conducive to book a more spacious non-accessible cabin that can accommodate the scooters so as to not restrict the availability of handicapped-accessible cabin.

Speak to the Special Needs Department to find out if there are other options that could accommodate your two scooters without violating SOLAS regulations (by parking in the hallways) or the specific needs of the handicapped of the amenities of a handicapped-accessible cabin (besides just parking space).

2 hours ago, gerif said:

Would it be possible to get a JS? Pretty sure you could get two scooters into one. 

the only availability on this sailing are oceanview.  The problem isn't just the size of the cabin, it's also the width of the door to get one of the scooters inside.

I'm going to call the special needs department and see what they say.  I suppose if worse comes to worse, we could take my scooter apart and put it in the cabin at night in pieces and charge it like that.

I wouldn't leave it in the hall, I don't want to be in the way of anyone trying to navigate down those narrow hallways : ))  In the past we've always had good luck parking in the elevator lobby in a corner (on other lines).

1 hour ago, StolidCruiser said:

I highly recommend not booking a handicapped-accessible cabin simply because you require parking for two scooters due to mobility issues.  It would be more conducive to book a more spacious non-accessible cabin that can accommodate the scooters so as to not restrict the availability of handicapped-accessible cabin.

Speak to the Special Needs Department to find out if there are other options that could accommodate your two scooters without violating SOLAS regulations (by parking in the hallways) or the specific needs of the handicapped of the amenities of a handicapped-accessible cabin (besides just parking space).

My travel partner has arthritis in her hip, so the handicapped-accessible bathroom is very helpful for her.  (no step up in to the bath) . While we've made do in a standard inside cabin, if we can get the handicapped bath, that would be our preference.  

If you park your scooter in the hall, how do I pass by with my scooter?  On previous threads it has been reported that it is a violation of some rule/law.  I believe the Chief explained.  I have seen scooters parked near elevators on prior cruises but the past 2 years not so.  I will not be on your ship or your sailing but I will be renting a scooter and will need to pass thru the hall to my cabin.

10 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

If you park your scooter in the hall, how do I pass by with my scooter?  On previous threads it has been reported that it is a violation of some rule/law.  I believe the Chief explained.  I have seen scooters parked near elevators on prior cruises but the past 2 years not so.  I will not be on your ship or your sailing but I will be renting a scooter and will need to pass thru the hall to my cabin.

that's why I specifically said I would NOT leave the scooter in the hallway : ))  I don't like having to maneuver around scooters either ; ))

2 hours ago, retiredgram said:

I would definitely call Royal's special needs dept. to verify. As Onecruiser said it might not be the norm.  All this took place on our November cruise.  When hubby and I were on in Feb. they were still getting scooters and charging for cruisers.  Things can always change with Royal.

I see you are going in Oct.  My DNL and her mom will be on Oct. 17, the 9 night sailing.

We are on the October 3rd sailing ; ))

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StolidCruiser said:

I disagree with this. I was just inquiring with a large travel agency about a future cruise, mentioned my DW will have a scooter, and they immediately switched me to their disability group. They told me we most certainly should book an accessible cabin. 

Another thing is, a larger cabin is more money. Why should someone who is disabled enough to need a scooter have to get a larger cabin than they want.

I was on the Oct 18 sailing on the Grandeur and used a scooter. I parked it in the elevator lobby every nite.  Every evening the room steward took it and charged it and returned it in the morning at the time I requested. I didn't even ask ,he offered before I could say anything.

• Like 1

Some stewards go above and beyond and some do the bare minimum required.  Have experienced both types over the years.  Glad you had one of the caring ones.  Did you leave the key in the scooter?  I would be afraid to park it in lobby with key as an invitation to joy riding by some who roam the ship at night.  When I was 16 sounds like something I might have done and then parked it on a different deck.

14 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

I disagree with this. I was just inquiring with a large travel agency about a future cruise, mentioned my DW will have a scooter, and they immediately switched me to their disability group. They told me we most certainly should book an accessible cabin. 

Another thing is, a larger cabin is more money. Why should someone who is disabled enough to need a scooter have to get a larger cabin than they want.

Seems to me you will need a larger cabin to fit the scooter inside.  I would not want Mr. Pcur to try and maneuver around a scooter in the standard cabin if he had mobility issues. 

1 minute ago, pcur said:

Seems to me you will need a larger cabin to fit the scooter inside.  I would not want Mr. Pcur to try and maneuver around a scooter in the standard cabin if he had mobility issues. 

an accessible cabin is much larger than a non accessible in the same category 

Although we, too, have seen scooters parked near the elevator, etc, this is direct from Royal's website:

Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation. When parked throughout the ship, they must be parked out of the way to allow safe and easy access by other guests and crewmembers.

Assistive devices should fit through a standard stateroom entry doorway which is at least 23 inches wide. We offer accessible staterooms which have wider doors which are at least 32 inches wide and may accommodate larger devices. If you have an assistive device larger than 32 inches wide, please contact our Access Department for assistance.

Note: Crewmembers are not permitted to lift assistive devices.

18 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Ran into this exact problem on a Serenade sailing, when I had rented a scooter. 

When visiting the stateroom of a friend, there was invariably a scooter parked in the corridor, which was a dead-end corridor near the front of the ship.  If the parked scooter was parked perfectly straight and almost up against the wall, I could slowly maneuver past; this, however, was only about half the time. Many times, I would have to back up my scooter and park it in the corner of the elevator lobby, then use my cane to walk back  to where I was headed. This was doable, but only if the ship wasn’t really rockin’. 

Definitely not not an ideal situation. I would feel horrible if I knew that my actions resulted in someone not being able to get past with no alternatives. Apparently this doesn’t bother some cruisers at all. 

Ellen