CARNIVAL & MASHED POTATOES Is it just me?

18 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Several different Royal ships.. Not so much the ships, as either the crew or the passengers, and/or both. Sometimes the food.

Never met a Carnival ship I didn't like. We occasionally stray,, but Carnival is home. You don't like Carnival - we get it.

Excuse me. Where did I ever say I do not like Carnival???? Diamond with 47 Carnival cruises. All I said is why only one evening in the buffet for mashed potatoes. Now all of sudden we do not like Carnival. Please!

20 minutes ago, InspireLiberty said:

Is this thread for real? Mashed potatoes? Really?

Yes it is. You read it didn't you. The thread is basically why Carnival only has them for one evening. maybe. I have no idea if other Carnival ships had them more than the 20 that I have cruise on. . Now because of this thread, I find out they do not. Nothing more. However, so many added to it. Not my doing.

On 7/2/2019 at 4:55 PM, twodaywonder said:

😥 Why is it that only Carnival, on the buffet, they might have one evening only, offering mashed potatoes? I am a mashed potato lover. Last few cruises on the Royal line and the Celebrity line. Mashed potatoes on the buffet always, for lunch and dinner along with different kinds of rice and baked potatoes. I love them with turkey or chicken. Basically just about with any meat or poultry dish. No place for baked potatoes with turkey or rice for that matter. Now I understand that is me. I asked the head chef on Carnival why? The dumb answer that I got was. Not may people eat or even like mashed potatoes. Wow, that was a new one on me. I have no problem at all with baked potatoes and rice being offered. Lots of people love them. I think lots of people love mashed potatoes also. How about with awesome gravy on them or just good ol melted butter. Yum!

Seems like the easy answer is cruise on Royal and Celebrity. It makes a lot more sense to pick a cruise line that offers what you like, than to pick a cruise line and expect them to provide what you want, even if it was something they provided in the past. 

• Like 3

I cruise on Carnival about six times a year.  I noticed too, that they have nearly eliminated the mashed potatoes in the buffet.  They had them one day at lunch on my last cruise.  They now have white rice and baked potatoes all the time.   The baked potatoes are usually brown on the inside, having been laying there for some time and white rice does not thrill me.  I agree that mashed potatoes go better with roasted turkey, loin of pork and beef stew.  A few years ago Carnival always had mashed potatoes on the buffet all the time.

16 hours ago, JennyD1 said:

I cruise on Carnival about six times a year.  I noticed too, that they have nearly eliminated the mashed potatoes in the buffet.  They had them one day at lunch on my last cruise.  They now have white rice and baked potatoes all the time.   The baked potatoes are usually brown on the inside, having been laying there for some time and white rice does not thrill me.  I agree that mashed potatoes go better with roasted turkey, loin of pork and beef stew.  A few years ago Carnival always had mashed potatoes on the buffet all the time.

Thank you for that. A very nice reply to my question. Thank you for the confirmation.

They aren’t a good buffet food cause they don’t hold well.  Too many people like their mashed potatoes a very particular way (with onions, without onions, with skins, without skins, etc) that even if offered many people won’t be happy the offering.

Me personally.  I would rather see most of the items not be foods, I can make for myself at home with little fuss such as mashed potatoes, but would rather foods I don’t make at home.  If I wanted to eat stuff I can make at home...I would stay home.

9 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

They aren’t a good buffet food cause they don’t hold well.  Too many people like their mashed potatoes a very particular way (with onions, without onions, with skins, without skins, etc) that even if offered many people won’t be happy the offering.

Me personally.  I would rather see most of the items not be foods, I can make for myself at home with little fuss such as mashed potatoes, but would rather foods I don’t make at home.  If I wanted to eat stuff I can make at home...I would stay home.

Like rice and burnt baked potato which is what they always have? More good hot vegetables would be great. We like trying items we have no idea what they are and have found several we really like. Forget that in the MDR. You would be ther for the better part of three hours trying different offerings. The waiters I think would get upset also.

1 minute ago, twodaywonder said:

Like rice and burnt baked potato which is what they always have? More good hot vegetables would be great. We like trying items we have no idea what they are and have found several we really like. Forget that in the MDR. You would be ther for the better part of three hours trying different offerings. The waiters I think would get upset also.

Baked potatoes and rice can withstand a lengthy stay on the buffet unlike mashed potatoes.  I skip the baked potato because I have them at home.  If the rice is a different style than what I have it home I will grab a scoop.

In the MDR, fortunately I have similar minded travel companions and we each order a different main course, different sides, and desserts and each of us have a quarter of each.  We do the same in land based restaurants.  Never seemed to ever phase the cruise waiters or most land based ones.  Had ONE waiter disapprove at an expensive french restaurant.  Food wasn’t that great and prices were high.  We never went back.

2 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Baked potatoes and rice can withstand a lengthy stay on the buffet unlike mashed potatoes.  I skip the baked potato because I have them at home.  If the rice is a different style than what I have it home I will grab a scoop.

In the MDR, fortunately I have similar minded travel companions and we each order a different main course, different sides, and desserts and each of us have a quarter of each.  We do the same in land based restaurants.  Never seemed to ever phase the cruise waiters or most land based ones.  Had ONE waiter disapprove at an expensive french restaurant.  Food wasn’t that great and prices were high.  We never went back.

Guess you have not had the opportunity to try one of ther burnt baked potatoes. Nice and brown and smells on the inside. Reheated nice dark brown wrinkled skin. If and when they happen to have a nice fresh one. I will enjoy that.

Anyhow, to each there own. You enjoy what ever you can and forget the rest.

On 7/5/2019 at 6:51 PM, BlerkOne said:

Several different Royal ships.. Not so much the ships, as either the crew or the passengers, and/or both. Sometimes the food.

Never met a Carnival ship I didn't like. We occasionally stray,, but Carnival is home. You don't like Carnival - we get it.

"You don't like Carnival - we get it" Guess you just assume what ever you want. You just jump in and reply without reading the posts. We are Diamond and have currently cruised 47 cruises on them with four more currently booked. We enjoy every Carnival cruise. Has nothing to do with them not having mashed potatoes a little more often. never ever have I said we do not like carnival.>>>>>>>>>>>

On 7/6/2019 at 12:11 PM, twodaywonder said:

Excuse me. Where did I ever say I do not like Carnival???? Diamond with 47 Carnival cruises. All I said is why only one evening in the buffet for mashed potatoes. Now all of sudden we do not like Carnival. Please!

A Diamond with 47 cruises should know to ask the food manager about the mashed potatoes and could he fetch you some from the MDR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

"You don't like Carnival - we get it" Guess you just assume what ever you want. You just jump in and reply without reading the posts. We are Diamond and have currently cruised 47 cruises on them with four more currently booked. We enjoy every Carnival cruise. Has nothing to do with them not having mashed potatoes a little more often. never ever have I said we do not like carnival.>>>>>>>>>>>

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

A Diamond with 47 cruises should know to ask the food manager about the mashed potatoes and could he fetch you some from the MDR.

I’m sure if someone asks nicely, Carnival could make it happen. I know Princess would — and does.

18 minutes ago, midcarolina said:

Ya know how I can tell many of us are bored as all get out.......69 replies about mashed potatoes.....LOL

It really is too funny.  I tried to ask a couple weeks ago if anyone knew whether there was sushi available anywhere on the Carnival Magic.  I received zero replies.  Well, at least I have a clue how to get my mashed taters!

On 7/5/2019 at 6:51 PM, BlerkOne said:

How did you arrive at the opinion that BlerkOne said she didn't like Carnival?