B2B on different cruise lines

lellenm

Has anyone done a b2b where they changed cruise lines?  I am looking at booking Oceania Sirena out of FL in Feb 2020 and then MSC the day we get off the Oceania.

Is this even possible?

Thanks  Linda

are you in the same port  on disembarkation/embarkation day??

More info for an informed  response

What port ?

It should not be  a problem if both ships in the same  area  but if you are flying to different ports cities it may be an issue

We have done it changing ships & cruise lines on the same day/same dock in NYC.

No problem - neither cruise line would know or care that you are switching from one line to another as long as you can check in on time.

• Like 2

Yes...have seen folks on our Panama Canal cruise get off the ship in LA and drag their luggage to the ship next to us heading home to Sydney.   Sounds like great planning to me as long as you are in the same port area.   Can always take a cab if it's not very close by.    Enjoy!

On 7/3/2019 at 2:11 PM, lellenm said:

Has anyone done a b2b where they changed cruise lines?  I am looking at booking Oceania Sirena out of FL in Feb 2020 and then MSC the day we get off the Oceania.

Is this even possible?

Thanks  Linda

Which port in Florida? Are both ships at th same port?  I did a Royal Caribbean sailing out of Port Everglades back to back with a Holland America sailing. The port is huge with a lot of traffic and that port is not just a cruise port so a lot of big trucks, so you probably need a taxi to move your luggage. I lucked out and the terminals were almost next to each other but even that was not a short walk. The only other issue was they will want you off by 9:30 to 10:00 at the latest so you will be sitting around between the sailings. HAL did not open their embarkation until 11:00. So it is definitely possible but not as pleasant as doing a back to back on the same ship. 

On 7/3/2019 at 11:11 AM, lellenm said:

Is this even possible?

Thanks  Linda

Yes....  it will be culture shock for sure going from 600 pax ambiance to 4500 pax   floating  city...... have you thought this out?

On 7/3/2019 at 2:11 PM, lellenm said:

Is this even possible?

Thanks  Linda

It absolutely is possible, we've done b2b on different ships multiple times.  The easiest have been in Port Everglades when both ships have been docked across from one another and all it took was a little larger tip than normal to have the porter push our luggage across the street.  In Miami you'll most likely need a cab to switch from Sirena too MSC.  Oceania generally uses the smaller terminal J on the southern side of Dodge Island whereas MSC uses their new terminal on the north side.  

Just a tip, if you are using a cab make sure you luggage and you are in the cab before you tell them you only want to go to another terminal.  They can't refuse you once you are in their cab!

Enjoy your cruises!  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses.

I will definitely check which ports each of them are in before we book this.

Going from Oceania to MSC ? LOL.  Yes I know there will be a BIG difference.  But being newly retired we are trying out all the different lines, and this is a good opportunity to try out 2 different ones during 1 trip.  I think it will be culture shock!  :)

Thanks for the tip on the taxi between ports, I will keep that in mind if it is needed.

Again, thanks for all the help.

My husband & I have done it twice. First time  was in Istanbul where we had to leave our Azamara cruise one day early & miss the first day on the Oceania cruise(both ships had an overnight  in Istanbul),but apart from that all we had to do was walk  along the quay to the next ship.  The next time  involved getting from Venice to Rome once again the ship had been overnight in port  so we were able to leave early& catch the 7.30am  train to Rome & be in the port at 1.30pm.  In both cases  the ships were already in port & all custom formalities  done  & so there were no worries if a late docking & slow  clearance  would affect the connections.  Plan a little ahead re transfers to avoid hassle & possible panic ! 

If MSC is sailing from POM  it should not be  a problem  you will have time to drop your bags with the porters & go into Miami  for  lunch/shopping

Even if it is sailing from Port Everglades you will have time to  get there

Others embarkation ports for MSC  I would say it will be  iffy

21 minutes ago, triplestar said:

My husband & I have done it twice. First time  was in Istanbul where we had to leave our Azamara cruise one day early & miss the first day on the Oceania cruise(both ships had an overnight  in Istanbul),but apart from that all we had to do was walk  along the quay to the next ship.  The next time  involved getting from Venice to Rome once again the ship had been overnight in port  so we were able to leave early& catch the 7.30am  train to Rome & be in the port at 1.30pm.  In both cases  the ships were already in port & all custom formalities  done  & so there were no worries if a late docking & slow  clearance  would affect the connections.  Plan a little ahead re transfers to avoid hassle & possible panic ! 

in Europe it is different than sailing from the USA  ports   if you miss embarkation day

see PVSA

8 hours ago, triplestar said:

We did have to get permission from Oceania to embark a day late. The travel agent contacted them re this as we were already booked on the cruise                

Where did the cruise originate?

We too were given permission to board a day late in Brisbane instead of Sydney but you couldn’t do it when leaving from a US port, AFAIK.

Edited by Paulchili